• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rpm loss

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Sled is a 2012 800 pro with 2500 miles, over the summer i put an RKTek rev1 drop in kit in it. At that time i cleaned exhaust valves as well.

First ride out it ran great, about 8350 on the trail, 8100 off but it was fairly packed powder. Few weeks later we got dumped on and i went out, but i was only pulling 7700ish in the powder, even as low as 7500 once or twice.

A kid i met at school recommended i get a new secondary spring so i have that ordered along with a new belt as the old one has about 900 miles now, although it doesn't seem too worn (gates 44c4553). I did throw on my spare belt, a polaris belt with about 500 miles, and saw no change with it. I have my secondary apart and it was fairly dirty so i cleaned it up too.

Anything else i should look at that could also cause this? Sled runs great, just not getting peak rpms.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Always good to do a compression test to rule anything internal out.

Changed recently;
Spark plugs? Fuel filter?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Compression is good, spark plugs are new. I forgot about the fuel filter though, was gonna do that preseason but never got around to it. I'm still pulling 8100-8200ish on the trail though so that's why i was thinking clutching

A

Alaskanparret

Nov 25, 2011
Also throw a new belt on, or your spare.

Quick and easy thing to rule out another thing...my 14 pro wouldn’t hit rpm to save its life. Worse that what you’re experiencing however and would only get to 7,500 maybe. Belt finally blew a ride or two later and bam right back to 8,250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Also throw a new belt on, or your spare.

Quick and easy thing to rule out another thing...my 14 pro wouldn’t hit rpm to save its life. Worse that what you’re experiencing however and would only get to 7,500 maybe. Belt finally blew a ride or two later and bam right back to 8,250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tried the spare but it didn't change, have a new belt on the way so we'll see if that helps this weekend.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Primary clutch may need attention to with 2500 miles.Pimary spring should be replaced yearly, the weight bushings egg out, Weights rub on spider, rollers get bad, cover bushing worn out. It may seem ok just to "look" at them but they are more then likely shot. IMO primary should be "tuned up" by a reputable clutch builder 1,000 - 1500 miles to maintain peak performance.

Premium Features