• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What radio to buy

C

chousercat

Dec 8, 2007
Hey Hey - I'm looking to buy a high quality two- way radio to use when sledding and am not well educated on this subject. I believe most of my buddies radios are on the "family channel". I need something compatible with what most other guys are using and one that has adequate range. I don't want one of the "cheapies" to use with the old lady in the mall. If I get lost I want something that's got range. Up to $400 is my price limit.
Thank you
Craig

W
Dec 11, 2007
Anchorage
$400? How about getting a GPS at the same time.

Amazon.com has the Garmin Rino 530Hcx for $376. 1/2w FRS and 5w GMRS radio with color GPS.

Just ordered one tonight.

C
Nov 27, 2007
Selah WA.
i would suggest the same garmin 530chx but check on the maps i think u have to buy the base map? not sure but i think its like another 100 bucks, but i could be mistaken, search the threads for the garmin theres been alot of good imput on them

W
Dec 11, 2007
Anchorage
i would suggest the same garmin 530chx but check on the maps i think u have to buy the base map? not sure but i think its like another 100 bucks, but i could be mistaken, search the threads for the garmin theres been alot of good imput on them

Comes with a base map of US roads and cities. I already have a copy of the Garmin Topo maps for US. I'm upgrading from a Rino 130 I've had/used for 3 years. Wanted color.

I also ordered a new Ram mount and a 2Gb SD card. Total order came to about $426 shipped to Alaska. My old 130 will now go on the wifes/backup sled.

S

Spector

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
You may want to seriously consider the Hcx version as the GPS chip is far superior in trees etc. to the older version.

C

chousercat

Dec 8, 2007
2gb card

Comes with a base map of US roads and cities. I already have a copy of the Garmin Topo maps for US. I'm upgrading from a Rino 130 I've had/used for 3 years. Wanted color.

I also ordered a new Ram mount and a 2Gb SD card. Total order came to about $426 shipped to Alaska. My old 130 will now go on the wifes/backup sled.

I assume the ram mount is for mounting on the sled? Why did you get the 2gb card?

W
Dec 11, 2007
Anchorage
The 2Gb card is for storing map info. Older Garmin GPSs had internal memory. Most of the new ones now have a removable map card, particularly the HCX models, in fact you can buy the cards preloaded with topos, blue charts or whatever. For example, my current Rino 130 has 24Mb of internal memory for maps, that's enough for only a section of the Alaska topos. With the new memory cards it should fit the entire US Topo CD (since you can buy the card preloaded on a card I'm assuming 2Gb is enough for all the maps).

As far as I can tell the base map is burned onto the main board (prom chip) and cannot be removed.

I love these things. I won't leave the trailhead without mine anymore. With the maze of trails, siesmic lines, swamps, lakes, creeks and such around here it's too easy to get turned around and miss a turn back to the truck especially when the weather moves in and the land marks disappear.

The built-in radio is a great feature in that you can broadcast your position to your riding buddy or poll his Rino for his location.

I want to find a headset to install into my helmet so we can communicate while on the trail. Be great for oncoming traffic on those blind curves to warn your buddy. Working on it.

Last edited:
E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Vertex Standard/Yaesu FT60. I don't leave home without it. Built on VS's business/emg services aluminum chassis... same board on the inside too. 5w VHF/UHF, will transmit on everything from amateur and FRS/GMRS (like what the rinos use) to commercial, weather, and emergency bands.

Downside is that whole licensing thing... although the amateur tech license is -easy-.

73 de K7AIH

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Vertex Standard/Yaesu FT60. I don't leave home without it. Built on VS's business/emg services aluminum chassis... same board on the inside too. 5w VHF/UHF, will transmit on everything from amateur and FRS/GMRS (like what the rinos use) to commercial, weather, and emergency bands.

Downside is that whole licensing thing... although the amateur tech license is -easy-.

73 de K7AIH

51c46d.jpg

So how much does it cost?

C

chousercat

Dec 8, 2007
price

I just went to the REi here in Denver and they want $499 for the 530 Hcx. Buy e Retail only wants $337. That's sure a big difference. I'm going to order it first thing Monday. Thanks for the tip!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
So how much does it cost?

Radio was around $200, including shipping and another antenna. Stock gives you amateur freqs only, but a very simple mod unlocks 137-174 and 420-470MHz.

License is $14. Most VECs let you take the next exam if you pass one (I took the Extra exam after passing my General) for free, but will charge you another $14 if you want to re-take a failed exam; if they let you retake it at all.

for a practice exam.

Premium Features