• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 summit 800 etech 10 hour service???

J

jbsumbc

Oct 26, 2008
Tumbler ridge b.c. Canada
I finally got 10 hrs on my 2012 summit, now it's time for the 10 hrs service. I live a couple hours from a dealer so Im thinking of doing the service myself, I have the chain case oil, and yes machanicaly incline. Should I take it to the dealer for this service, or do it myself? The dealer I bought the sled from said change chain case oil, and blow clutches out. Anything else I'm missing? What about chain tension?
Cheers!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Chain tension/oil and track tension. If you dont have any problems i wouldnt bother. Check with your dealer occasionally for any bulletins or updates.

J

jbsumbc

Oct 26, 2008
How do you check the chain tension and does the chain case have a drain plug or do you have to suck it out?

Just looked at my sled. No drain plug, have to unbolt cover, and looks like you adjust chain tension on the right hand side of chain case if your looking right at it, need a aline key, and wrench to adjust tension

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would pull the cover to tension, just because that's the only way to KNOW there is nothing wrong and to get proper tension. I have found gear teeth laying in the bottom of several sleds...this would have been missed without pulling the cover.
You can feel how much slop is in the chain by locking the brake and wiggling the secondary clutch....it should have a very slight amount of play, do NOT overtighten, which is easy to do when trying to "feel" the tension through the adjuster bolt.

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
There is a reflash for the ECM's on the 2012 sleds(done as part of the first service). It is to cure an intermittent engine light that comes on. We also check clutches have found arms sticking (warranty) / verify the break in has been completed with the computer. (seen that at 350 miles to 450 miles). There is no issues with people doing this themselves.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If the adjuster bolt turns easily then finger tight and then back off 1/2 turn.
Ive never measured the deflection, probably closer to 1/4". A small amount of freeplay, no tension.... If that makes sense.
Check every 250ish miles, they stretch a lot.

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
correct me if im wrong but the 10hr service is a requirement for warranty is it not?

please tell me im wrong because i have 5 that need to goin and really dont feel like taking them for a 10 hour journey to do stuff i can do myself.

J

jbsumbc

Oct 26, 2008
correct me if im wrong but the 10hr service is a requirement for warranty is it not?

please tell me im wrong because i have 5 that need to goin and really dont feel like taking them for a 10 hour journey to do stuff i can do myself.

I told the dealer when I bought my sled that I was not close to a dealer. He sold me what I needed, told me what to do, and nothing said about warranty.

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM

Having a dealer do your service is not required. Maintenance is required (per your owners manual under the seat) if you do it yourself keep your receipts, and record your service info (miles,what you did, and when). That being said dealers do have tools like our computers to check for faults, check your break in percentage, and reflash your ECM with the most current updates as most 2012 sleds could use.

W

wakeska813

Nov 5, 2011
2010 summit 800r

Having a dealer do your service is not required. Maintenance is required (per your owners manual under the seat) if you do it yourself keep your receipts, and record your service info (miles,what you did, and when). That being said dealers do have tools like our computers to check for faults, check your break in percentage, and reflash your ECM with the most current updates as most 2012 sleds could use.

could you let me know if there is anytype of ECM re-flash or recalls that i need for my sled?

C
Jan 3, 2012
Apparently the 2012 map is a little rich at 7800 rpm, it can cause the motor to stumble and throw the engine light on. Quick fix with the dealers BUDS system (they should all know about it now) and a faster sled!!
Cliff

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
My dealer must be on crack then, cause when I asked him about the 10 hr service he told me there was nothing to do. I know on my canam 800 there was a 10hr service that they highly recommended which I did. Now I hear all you guys talking about this and I will just do it myself, I know I will never buy another machine from these guys again anyways (and yes the BRP survey they send out said the same thing about this dealer) Hope someone makes some changes around that dealership.

Premium Features