• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Some Summer Watch Out Things to look for on your 900's

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Just thought i would post up some things to look out for on your sleds now that most of us are done riding :( for the seaon!!

And if you have something to post up as well, please do...it helps us all keep our SWEET 700/900s up and running to prove to those that hate them that they will last and whoop their sleds for a long time, lol...

if you need pics of the areas or part i am talking about, let me know and i will get you them..

---WATCH OUT FOR---
  • the ZERK fitting on the speedo housing, it can back out and fall off, or be VERY loose
  • upper shock bolt on your front track shock (the nut fell OFF mine)
  • ALL bolts/nuts on your skid (this 06 900 i bought had BOTH sides of the front torque arm half way backed out)
  • sticky, or rusty jackshaft (the shaft your secondary is on) the 06 900 secondary wouldnt even "float" cause the shaft was so gummed up
  • if you tear your sled down for maintenance or cleaning...remove ANY loose rivots and replace them
  • check for cracks on your front shock upper bracket (ALOT Of stress gets forced here (busted one on my 05 900)

Run Stabil or SeaFoam through your fuel AND fuel system including motor BEFORE storage
Grease your rear suspension, speedo housing, jackshaft BEFORE you store your sled
Remove ALL your springs in your sled if you want to reuse them, or they will get sacked out..(primary/secondary/exhaust valves)
I keep the REAR of my sled off the ground ALL the time, here is a GREAT stoarge stand for $25 that i use daily http://shop.eazymovecarts.com/Snowmobile-Storage-Stand-SS-1004.htm
I also loosen my Rear Torsion Springs to keep them from sacking out, and wil last ALONG time

****JUST MAKE SURE IF YOU REMOVE SOMETHING, INSTALL IT BEFORE YOU START THE SLED FOR WARM UP OR WHATEVER****

MORE GREAT STANDS HERE...I HAVE THS WHEELS, STORAGE STAND AND THE SLED LIFT...TOP NOTCH PRODUCTS AND GREAT GUY, WITH BETTER PRICING!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.eazymovecarts.com/upez/index.html

i will add to this list when i find more things or think of something that would be good to check..

just want to help out if anyone has the time to check over their sleds before storage or if your going through them now like i am...well i am year round, lol.

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Good reminder tips Sean! Excellent post!:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

(BTW, some of us aren't done riding yet.....:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Dont for get to replace all plastics from hugging trees Sean. Good thread to start.

lol..thanks mike..the trees are so beautiful though..i like to get up close and get a good look at them ;)

Good reminder tips Sean! Excellent post!:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

(BTW, some of us aren't done riding yet.....:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap)

haha..thanks for rubbing it in man...really appreciate, lol...

feel free to add your own inputs, lots of stuff to cover and im only one amazing man...but guess i can do it all, lol...:face-icon-small-coo

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
lol..thanks mike..the trees are so beautiful though..i like to get up close and get a good look at them ;)

haha..thanks for rubbing it in man...really appreciate, lol...

feel free to add your own inputs, lots of stuff to cover and im only one amazing man...but guess i can do it all, lol...:face-icon-small-coo

The only thing that really comes to mind is to double and tripple check any and all bolts on the sled... I have seen a few rattle loose this season on my sled and one on the front A-arm where the upper spindle heim-joint bolts to the upper A-arm... I have had that nut work loose twice... gonna take those apart and put red lock-tite on them I think.... would not be a good day if one of those came loose and allowed the spindle to hang free from the top:eek:

H
Nov 11, 2009
do u guys do this to every sled u own? bc i will check for loose bolts but have never done any of the other stuff u listed. i just let them sit over the summer. i just got the 900 brand new last nov. and put 300 miles on this year but never did any of that to my other sleds. i usualy grease in the fall every year but thats it. maybe a nice wash and wax but nuttin else.......

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
well its completely up to you..every one has their own style of maintenance and time/money..ect...

but i look at it this way..

1. you never know what the previous owner has done, or not done...fixed ot tried to fix...

2. its a great way to learn your sled by going over it all

3. in the summer you have much more time to work on it and get parts, plus if you wait till last minute...90% of sledders will be trying to get the same stuff you are right before the season starts..

4. you may find other problems or soon to be problems while your looking it over

5. the better more thorough inpsection you do, the better/longer the sled will run for you.

6. its a SLED...how can you not keep your hands/wallet off it, lol...its like crack!!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
A couple things come to mind...

1) I would check very closely or (like I'm going to doo) is replace the coolant hose that runs under the motor on the mag side that comes up to the head. I'm finding that the hose is getting partially pinched and is rubbing on the front cross member that holds the front motor mounts. Each time you gas the throttle, the engine moves just a little and that hose is getting boogered up. A fellow rider had his go out completely in the back country.

Due to the length of the factory hose, and the routing of the hose, there isn't really much a guy can doo to help prevent this rubbing except wrapping the hose at the infected area. The hose is like $28 I believe from your local Polaris dealer.

2) I like to replace my thermostat as preventative maintenance every 2 seasons. They often get blamed for sticking and overheating an engine so guys naturally want to remove them. By replacing them when they should be replaced, they don't cause problems. That just happened!

3) Clean throttle bodies and reeds. Check the throttle body/reed boots closely. We know how often they crack/delaminate and especially if you're running V-force reeds as the modification necessary to the boot to run the V-force reeds leaves the boots pretty thin in the corner areas.

4) Wiring, wiring , wiring! An area that I'd pay attention to is the tailight wiring running under the seat. I placed a layer of duct tape directly to the tunnel and then another layer of tape on top of the wiring loom. Mine had been rubbing the tunnel. I got lucky. Another area is the stator wiring rubbing on the seat and the conglomeration of wiring in that area. Mine was all fouled up and poorly routed.

5) Polzinhunter has/had what I thought was a great idea. We've all fought trying to get the fuel tank lined back up to install the bolts...He simply drilled a couple new holes to the rear of the original holes in the tunnel so install of the tank is much easier. The other reason this is good is the seat doesn't have to rub the wiring up front, especially the 3 stator wires. I will be doing this for sure.

6) If you're working and R&R'ing an 06 motor, it's a good idea to mark, tag, or tape the injector wiring connectors. They are labeled from the factory, however the location of these labels is so far down in the bulkhead when reinstalling the motor that they are almost impossible to see. I just used some 2 inch masking tape, making huge lables. There was a member a few months ago that had his injectors swapped.

7) I would rec replacing the skid bolts with grade 8's. I can't tell you how many of the stock bolts I had break one day. The 4 main suspension bolts that bolt the skid to the tunnel are the main 4 to replace. I've also seen a couple of the limiter strap aluminum shafts bent pretty good.

8) I'd like to come up with a way of keeping the belt dust out of the intake system. It would be nice to somehow filter the air preferrably in the boost box area.

Remember, these sleds are going on their 6th or 7th season depending on the year you own.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
OUTSTANDING DAVE..

just wanted i want to see in here..

i will post up more on the wiring tips that i did to the 3 sleds i have...lots of issues that could have happened didnt cause i caught it early...

i will just edit this post when i get a chance..

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
also..

when i removed the speedo housing on the driveshaft...the bolt that holds the gear for the speedo on....was barely even on...it had loosened up, and barely fingertight...

worth getting in there and checking..

also a good thing to do is replace bearings..

--the jackshaft bearing (behind secondary) on the shaft
--drive shaft bearing (behind speedo housing)
--chaincase upper and lower bearings
--bogie wheel bearings

Last edited:

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
also..

when i removed the speedo housing on the driveshaft...the bolt that holds the gear for the speedo on....was barely even on...it had loosened up, and barely fingertight...

worth getting in there and checking..

also a good thing to do is replace bearing..

--the jackshaft bearing (behind secondary) on the shaft
--drive shaft bearing (behind speedo housing)
--chaincase upper and lower bearings)
--bogie wheel bearings

On them bearings does a guy have to use the polaris bearings? We have a company here that will measure and find you the bearing for half/quarter the price.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
On them bearings does a guy have to use the polaris bearings? We have a company here that will measure and find you the bearing for half/quarter the price.

by no means do you have to use polaris bearings...if you can find a perfect match, go for it..

but its hard to get bearings that are the same on some parts...i will check for sure when i go to replace them this summer...

ecspecially the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings, they are $$$ but not your standard bearings either..they are rounded on both sides :face-icon-small-con

i also have a local bearing shop but they havent been able to match some bearings i have brought in....most of them were from my street bike (zx9r)

keep us posted on what ones you canget replaced and what you paid for them.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
by no means do you have to use polaris bearings...if you can find a perfect match, go for it..

but its hard to get bearings that are the same on some parts...i will check for sure when i go to replace them this summer...

ecspecially the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings, they are $$$ but not your standard bearings either..they are rounded on both sides :face-icon-small-con

i also have a local bearing shop but they havent been able to match some bearings i have brought in....most of them were from my street bike (zx9r)

keep us posted on what ones you canget replaced and what you paid for them.

Will do won't be until later fall when I get the sled out and start working on it.

This company here (motion Industries) rocks. I have yet to take a bearing/o-ring/seal to them that they don't either have or can get and there normally half the price as the stealership.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
All Balls Products makes kits at a reasonable price for the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings. WPS sells them for like $28 for the set.

Each set includes PTO side radial mount bearing, chaincase seal, chaincase bearing, snap ring. Separate Polaris prices on this stuff is much higher.

I think that there is an Ebay vendor that sells the the All Balls kits as well.

One kit for the jackshaft, one kit for the driveshaft...

I dont have the part numbers in front of me...

I've searched bearing houses for a while... and came up empty... the radius edged bearings are hard to come by.

As a note, all balls sells great bearing kits for dirt bikes and street bikes as well.

Premium Features