• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which two way radio

T

The Big Kid

Oct 20, 2008
just wondering if anyone has some input on what radios will work the best. thanks

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
We got some Midland radios that we use for hunting, they have a 26 mile radius, but I doubt it works. We got them at Cabelas for around $90

P
Jan 26, 2009
B.C.
Hand held, or for your P/U?

I've had many truck radios, I like a radio that displays the frequency and one that has an adjustable squelch.

Getting the radio programed for all the channels you may, or may not need, is important, most new radios can be programed with hundreds of channels.

P.S. I wouldn't want to be leaning against a fender when someone transmits with one of these radios, something to be mindful of, there is much better ways to fry your brain. :D

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
You can generally figure about a watt per mile, so a 5 watt radio will usually work reliably up to 5 miles. Hills and dense trees substantialy reduce the range.

All those cheap radios that say 20+ miles is a joke, I would doubt even in the most perfect conditions they would even do half that. They are usually 2 watts or less.

I believe the Rhino comes in a 2 watt and a 5 watt version.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
rhino

rhino all the way, ram mount to the dash if you use it alot or in the top of the back pack, 520/530 rechargeable are great on batterys

giddyup

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I really like my Garmin 530 Rino.It has an excellent radio with GPS that enables you to find your buddies using same radio by map and or coordinates.
Slowly all my riding friends are buying the Rino.

Dave

Premium Features