• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

to much oil!!! wont run

S
Nov 27, 2007
Whistler, BC
well i just finished rebuilding my engine top and bottom end and i started it up the other day and ran for 5 minutes no problem so i shut it off. Started it up again the other day and no problem.

Then today i went to the gas station got gas to fill up the tank and added some oil to the mixture (bombardier says to after you rebuild an engine) and now the sled starts up and then dies like it is getting flooded. I put new spark plugs in and it ran for about 30 seconds then died. Then i pulled the spark plugs again and white smoke was coming out of the holes (vapour) so I pulled off the head and there was a lot of oil ontop of the pistons but everything looked good either than that.

So what are my options here

am i running to rich with oil?
to rich with gas?
are my carbs out of adjustment?
Should i drain the gas and put straight gas with no oil added?

let me know what you guys think !!!!I want to go sledding tomorrow for the first day of the year!!!!

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
how much oil did you put in your tank? You are only supposed to put no more than like 6 ounces at the most into your first tank to break in a new top end.

Need more info.
Evan

79fordext

Nov 26, 2007
I run 1oz of oil for every gallon of gas in my sled, so that is probably not your problem. I would check your oil cable adjustment and your choke cable adjustment. It would also help to know what the sled is.

P
Dec 1, 2008
Kimberley, BC
I run 1oz of oil for every gallon of gas in my sled, so that is probably not your problem. I would check your oil cable adjustment and your choke cable adjustment. It would also help to know what the sled is.

If I am not mistaken if the oil pump is not hooked up to the throttle cable it defaults to full oil. Perhaps something there is out of adjustment or not hooked up?

Premium Features