• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 700 RMK Electrical Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crankshaft

Dec 1, 2008
Last year my sled ran great 98% of the time but towards the end I noticed that sometimes when hitting a rough trail the engine would die for a second or less then kick back in; along with that I believe the gauges would "reset", cant be sure cause it was so quick but I am pretty sure it did every time the engine quit. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem or any ideas to try?

F
Nov 30, 2008
i had problems with mine at the start of the season very similar to yours and it was a bad/broken Throttle position sensor, nothing major, had it replaced under warranty and it was awesome all last year.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Last year my sled ran great 98% of the time but towards the end I noticed that sometimes when hitting a rough trail the engine would die for a second or less then kick back in; along with that I believe the gauges would "reset", cant be sure cause it was so quick but I am pretty sure it did every time the engine quit. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem or any ideas to try?

I have seen the voltage reg, do the same thing. The voltage reg will start to fail and also take out the ECU.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have also seen the handwarmers short right where the wires go into the element..same deal..if left like that it will kill the MFD guage....was a problem on the 08's..polaris has a bulletin on it..your handwarmers ever act up?

C

crankshaft

Dec 1, 2008
the hand warmers were replaced before I even picked it up. I had it happen with both the warmers on and off. Any way to really test the voltage regulator?

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Check 4 things.
One, check the throttle cable adjuster. If the locking nut comes lose it will activate the throttle position sensor and the engine can and will start cutting out. You will need to roll the rubber boot off so you can inspect it.

two, turn your hand warmers off and see if that cures the problem. They had a problem with the handwarmers shorting out to the bars. This would cause the gauges to reset and the engine to sputter. There was a recall for this.

three, Check for lose or broken connections.

forth, check the voltage regulator.

Anyone of those 4 things will cause the problems you mentioned.
My first and best guess would be the throttle cable adjuster came lose and the TPS is kicking in.

C

crankshaft

Dec 1, 2008
Finally got enough snow to really ride. Went out today and it is still acting up. Seems like the problem is steadily getting worse. Anyone know how to test the voltage reg? I have looked over every harness I can find. Everything is plugged in and no wear spots. Also I am not real sure where the throttle position sensor is to inspect it and any other info about this would be helpful, new to the TPS stuff? Is the adjuster on the cable up towards the throttle? If so that is tight. The gauges are resetting every time as well.

Last edited:
P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
09 D8 similar problem

The sled burped and reset the digital gauge. Then I noticed upon start-up the gauges are blank until I give it some throttle. Then the battery symbol was flashing. When I’d hit the high beams or turn the hand warmers on the gauges would go off; but not the headlight and the engine would run normal. Headed straight home and riding the back-up... I'll update when resolved.

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Before you go too deep, check the plugs on the backside of the electrical plate where your spare belt sits. My '08 RMK would cut out but then no start with no spark on a hill. If I gave it gas gauges would blink, warning lights come on and it would stall. Pealed back the harness but found nothing. If I hit the elec plate it would stall.

Thought it was the ECU but then noticed a white wire with a brown stripe had the connector cover pulled back. I don’t know what this wire is for (unless it's the female for the ethanol plug) but it caused the sled to die when the end would touch the clutch cover.

See photo - sorry cell phone photo.

rmk.jpg

rmk.jpg

G

goncrazy99518

Dec 13, 2007
anchorage,ak
The sled burped and reset the digital gauge. Then I noticed upon start-up the gauges are blank until I give it some throttle. Then the battery symbol was flashing. When I’d hit the high beams or turn the hand warmers on the gauges would go off; but not the headlight and the engine would run normal. Headed straight home and riding the back-up... I'll update when resolved.

Did you ever find anything out on your problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features