• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brake Light works Running Light Doesn't

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Brake light works but running light doesn't on my Apex.

Hadn't noticed it until my dad was following and told me about it.

It's LED so I'm stumped. Back in the day a dual filament bulb with one filament burned out might make sense, but this baffles me.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I believe it is the same LED for the light, only difference is the running light uses a resister to reduce the voltage on the LED and therefore make the LED's not as bright. I think there are three wires running back to the light (that is how my Nytro is) one is ground, and the other two are the hot leads for running and for brake. The resister is in the light itself. Have you had yours apart at all?

I would start by checking the wiring loom to the light and also checking the fuses. I don't know if the running and brake are on separate circuits.

You got a multimeter? Test the plug at the light. Once you find the ground, then one lead at the light should have a higher resistance than the other. If you get an open circuit reading, then the wires to the light are a problem. If it is good, then check the side going to the vehicle. I think both hot leads should give you 12 volts (the brake lead when the switch is activated).

I don't have an Apex and haven't seen the wiring diagram, let alone the light, so all of this could be BS and completely useless. Good Luck!

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Yeah it's the same wiring as the Nytro, has a three wire setup.

Haven't had the back apart though, only the front end. I wonder if there are two fuses like you said for the different intensities.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
←snow∞motion→;3034646 said:
I wonder if there are two fuses like you said for the different intensities.
I would highly doubt it as the power requirements for the LED light are pretty small.

Then again, I have found it always best to check and verify the simple stuff first. Especially with electronics. Many times if the assumptions you make are wrong, you can be lead in the complete wrong direction.

Speaking of which, have you tried hitting the thing yet? Maybe give it a little "Aye" like the Fonz? You never know sometimes.. lol

Last edited:
Premium Features