• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Want to join us in Island Park

T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI
A buddy and I are thinking of taking a trip to Island Park the second week of January. After a trip to togwottee last year we fell in love and went all in on getting ready to ride the mountains. Avi vests, beacons, shovels, probes, and new (to us) sleds. I picked up a 14 XM 163, and he grabbed a 16 Axys, both with under 500 miles. We are long time snowmobilers but still very new to mountain and backcountry riding. I'm a pretty aggressive snowmobiler here at home and my life previously revolved around motocross. Won a few championships, raced Loretta Lynn's, the MGM Grand etc. So I went out there with a ton of confidence and figured I'd be doing all the stuff I see on the sled videos in a couple days. It didn't take me long to find out I had a lot of skills to develop and felt like a noob, completely out of my element. So I was wondering if someone who was familiar with the area and mountain riding wanted to come ride with us, show us around, and maybe help improve our riding. Planning on renting a house and we'll have three empty beds we could offer for helping us out. Or if someone from Wi Ia or Mn wanted to ride out with us and chip in on fuel we could take the 29' in-line trailer instead of the two place. Buddy has a nice riding truck too, newer Denali Dmaxx. I haven't booked anything yet so we're open to other places at this time too. Any input is appreciated, and let me know if anyone's interested. Thanks Tom

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
There is a learning curve, especially for mountain riding. I was also really surprised at the difficulties I had when I first ventured in the mountains with sleds. We (wife and I and a friend) may be in the area at that time and would be happy to ride with you and share some mountain skills while we are at it. I will confirm our dates and let you know if your dates match. We are both AST certified and always carry the proper AVI gear. Both on 19 AXYS 850's.
Cheers,
Rich

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
There is a learning curve, especially for mountain riding. I was also really surprised at the difficulties I had when I first ventured in the mountains with sleds. We (wife and I and a friend) may be in the area at that time and would be happy to ride with you and share some mountain skills while we are at it. I will confirm our dates and let you know if your dates match. We are both AST certified and always carry the proper AVI gear. Both on 19 AXYS 850's.
Cheers,
Rich
I'm just popping in here to say, I've ridden with Rich and his wife. AWESOME people. Don't let his age fool you, They can ride.

I hope to ride with them again soon

Last edited:
T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI
I'm just popping in here to say, I've ridden with Rich and his wife. AWESOME people. Don't let his age fool you, They can ride.

I hope to ride with them again soon

I don't judge anyone by age. There was a guy in his mid 70's who got grouped with our guided group when we were in tog. I went out with a group of four other friends, hands down he out rode all of us. I learned plenty of things on the bike from some really young kids to guys who were getting up there in age. I take the opportunity to have a good time and if I'm lucky learn from anybody.

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
A buddy and I are thinking of taking a trip to Island Park the second week of January. After a trip to togwottee last year we fell in love and went all in on getting ready to ride the mountains. Avi vests, beacons, shovels, probes, and new (to us) sleds. I picked up a 14 XM 163, and he grabbed a 16 Axys, both with under 500 miles. We are long time snowmobilers but still very new to mountain and backcountry riding. I'm a pretty aggressive snowmobiler here at home and my life previously revolved around motocross. Won a few championships, raced Loretta Lynn's, the MGM Grand etc. So I went out there with a ton of confidence and figured I'd be doing all the stuff I see on the sled videos in a couple days. It didn't take me long to find out I had a lot of skills to develop and felt like a noob, completely out of my element. So I was wondering if someone who was familiar with the area and mountain riding wanted to come ride with us, show us around, and maybe help improve our riding. Planning on renting a house and we'll have three empty beds we could offer for helping us out. Or if someone from Wi Ia or Mn wanted to ride out with us and chip in on fuel we could take the 29' in-line trailer instead of the two place. Buddy has a nice riding truck too, newer Denali Dmaxx. I haven't booked anything yet so we're open to other places at this time too. Any input is appreciated, and let me know if anyone's interested. Thanks Tom

https://www.facebook.com/driftrentals/

Something to look into, we are staying here for our first ever big mountains trip in Feb/March. The owners from the Milwaukee area and makes several trips out over the winter. Depending on your dates/duration myself and a buddy may be interested in joining for an early ride.

T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI
https://www.facebook.com/driftrentals/

Something to look into, we are staying here for our first ever big mountains trip in Feb/March. The owners from the Milwaukee area and makes several trips out over the winter. Depending on your dates/duration myself and a buddy may be interested in joining for an early ride.

Thanks Currently planning on staying the 7th thru the 11th or 12th plus our drive time. I have a place picked out but didn’t pull the trigger yet. I sent drift rentals a message and will wait to hear back from them before I book the other place. Seems like everyone had great things to say about them but there was very little or no information on the cabin itself or rates.

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Thanks Currently planning on staying the 7th thru the 11th or 12th plus our drive time. I have a place picked out but didn’t pull the trigger yet. I sent drift rentals a message and will wait to hear back from them before I book the other place. Seems like everyone had great things to say about them but there was very little or no information on the cabin itself or rates.

You can find the rates for the 2017 year in his pictures, cabin will sleep 14 comfortably. I agree that it would be nice if you had more pictures of the cabin or a video walk through.

Premium Features