• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tethered kill or, let it ride/run? Who has a tethered kill switch?

B
I always run with my D.E.S.S key around my throttle wrist on my SkiDoo Rev. I would never want my sled to either get me or ghostride and get someone else. I use an Autotether on my boat so if I fall out, the boat will stop and not get me and I may have a chance to get back into the boat if I'm by myself.

My bike has a nice safety feature where once on its side for 7 seconds, the engine will stop.

It makes me think, do we need a safety lanyard on our bikes or, because the bike won't ghost-ride as there is only one ski up front, that it is just not necessary? I have not seen a thread on it nor have I seen anyone riding with a lanyard in any pics.

Safety lanyard, necessary or don't bother.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Cool to hear you wear when you are boating very very few people do it seems. I read about a few accidents this year where a boat stayed under power when everyone was ejected, one of them killed 2 people after they were ejected.

After an ejection there is no insurance if lanyard is not worn...

I don't see a bike going far after a rider falls off, it would be for personal safety with a limb in the track I would think.

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
I wouldn’t be concerned with the bike taking off without me.

I would be concerned about it falling upside down, especially with the throttle wide open. Tether is a good idea- although I don’t run one. :juggle:

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
No tether on mine. None of the guys in my group have one either. We all discussed it last season, but almost every wreck resulted in the rider being within arms reach of the kill switch. None of us run a Recluse either, so most times the motor gets killed anyway.

It's definitely cheap insurance when thinking of the possibility of your bike running upside down and running out of oil. (You mentioned your bike has the 7 second safety switch - so a non-issue) Or worse - WFO with part of your body in the track and unable to reach the kill switch. I've seen the results of that on sleds, but never seen it on the bike because they almost immediately stall. Having 1/3 the horsepower is a good thing sometimes...

But in reality, at least in my case, my dumps have mostly been in slow-mo where I end up still straddling the bike. Maybe it's me - or where/how we ride, but none of us seem to get separated from the bike by much.

And for what it is worth, I'd never be worried about the bike running away like a sled. Hell, sometimes I can't get the thing to stay upright with me on it! :)

B
Nov 1, 2012
B.C.
I run a pro armor on mine. Think it was 100 or 150 bucks. More for piece of mind if it keeps running upside down. Cheaper than an engine. Fell off down side of a hill and slid a bit while bike was chugging away above me, scrambling to get up to it and find kill switch in snow. Have also had throttle before with ice build up.

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
Fall off,bail, and drop my bike every ride. Have never thought I needed one, bike will stall 75% of the time before I can even get to the kill switch, and I'm never far away. If you run a cheater clutch then maybe.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
frozen throttle, or whiskey throttle and a foot, arm, hand, leg, near the drive chain, or track.... gonna get ugly fast.

with that said, anyone know if the 2012-15 wr450f has a normally open, or normally closed circuit for tethers?. going to put them on ours. Ski

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
After last season hucking it into some trees, hillsides, and a few holes, I decided to add a tether this season. I have a rekluse, so it stays running.
edc94a7783bb904ea43a3a8d01b0771f.jpg

It’s a Jitsie Trials bike magnetic tether. I added a ski-do wrist tether or I can clip it to my bibs. I have a kill button wired in as well. I carry a backup tether.
254c5d787c6f98b580716748123f7dfa.jpg

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I use the armor tether works great .. more worried in the 4 stroke than the 2 .. but also not good to get limbs stuck in a full throttle stuck position

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

R
Nov 19, 2017
frozen throttle, or whiskey throttle and a foot, arm, hand, leg, near the drive chain, or track.... gonna get ugly fast.

with that said, anyone know if the 2012-15 wr450f has a normally open, or normally closed circuit for tethers?. going to put them on ours. Ski

the pro armor tether is normally open.
Can be had off eBay for under 25 bucks.
(that's what I just put on my cat)

Premium Features