• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Pants/Bibs for Mountain Riding?

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
In regards to the comment:

"Seems like a lot of people have been complaining about Klim warranty lately, but these people are seriously expecting them to fix or replace their torn up gear for nothing. Not gonna happen, no matter whos gear you buy. If there is a manufacturing defect or ripped seam in something Klim WILL replace or fix it no questions asked, what more do guys want? I don't get it."

My riding buddy had a lot of problems with his Klim pants last year (sorry, don't recall the model). He had them for 4 seasons, I know that. No obvious rips or tears, but he was getting wet in the thighs every ride. Couldn't figure out why, so he called Klim Support. Klim asked him to send them in. He did, and they tested them. Called him back and said the Gore Tex lining had failed, but they would not replace or repair them. They said their warranty was "for the life of the product, and the product had reached the end of its life". That was a new one from Klim, as both our families have nothing but Klim gear, and while very few issues, they was never an issue when something failed.

I know this is just an anecdotal tale, but I have no reason to lie. I love Klim stuff, as does he. So when they repeatedly said "it's not for as long as you own the product, the lifetime warranty is only for the life of the product, and sometimes the product life is only a few years." If this was burn marks, tears, etc, I'd get it, and he wouldn't have even called them. But they said themselves that the gore-tex failed and there was nothing he could have done.

Just food for thought when you hear about warranty issues out there...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
I have a pair of FXR bibs that I really like. They are about 3 years old and have a removable insulated liner. I believe they were the Renegade X pants of a couple years ago. The nice thing is I can leave the liner in or take it out depending on the outside temp and riding style for the day. They also have nice thick pre-formed padding on the knees for when your knees decide they want to meet the sled.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
In regards to the comment:

"Seems like a lot of people have been complaining about Klim warranty lately, but these people are seriously expecting them to fix or replace their torn up gear for nothing. Not gonna happen, no matter whos gear you buy. If there is a manufacturing defect or ripped seam in something Klim WILL replace or fix it no questions asked, what more do guys want? I don't get it."

My riding buddy had a lot of problems with his Klim pants last year (sorry, don't recall the model). He had them for 4 seasons, I know that. No obvious rips or tears, but he was getting wet in the thighs every ride. Couldn't figure out why, so he called Klim Support. Klim asked him to send them in. He did, and they tested them. Called him back and said the Gore Tex lining had failed, but they would not replace or repair them. They said their warranty was "for the life of the product, and the product had reached the end of its life". That was a new one from Klim, as both our families have nothing but Klim gear, and while very few issues, they was never an issue when something failed.

I know this is just an anecdotal tale, but I have no reason to lie. I love Klim stuff, as does he. So when they repeatedly said "it's not for as long as you own the product, the lifetime warranty is only for the life of the product, and sometimes the product life is only a few years." If this was burn marks, tears, etc, I'd get it, and he wouldn't have even called them. But they said themselves that the gore-tex failed and there was nothing he could have done.

Just food for thought when you hear about warranty issues out there...

That is the first time I have heard of a denial case that is BS. Very surprising to me. If they were in good shape, they should have been replaced.

95% of the people complaining on here do not have issues like that but want tears fixed for nothing "because it has lifetime warranty".
I sent in a pair of bibs 3-4 years ago that I wore for 3 or so years. They were heavily wore between the ankles and tunnel, the knees were the same story and there were small punctures here and there. I was explained to by the warranty rep that the lifetime warranty was a warranty for the lifetime of that specific garment- which is determined by them and that they could not do anything about the bibs, and that they were not even repairable. They offered to get me a new pair at a discounted price. It sucks that the warranty is not covering your lifetime, but it is understandable. My bibs were shot, and they wouldn't make a dime if they replaced everyones worn out abused gear for free.

I think 4 years of dry on a sled is good, and better than the other brands of clothing where you are lucky to be dry on the first ride. I also think Klim will always try to do SOMETHING for you if you have an issue, not just tell ya tough chit.

Few years ago I bought a set of FXR gloves from a dealer at haydays. Paid cash, took off on my merry drunk way. Got home and realized on of the fingers hadnt gotten stitched all the way, there was about a 1-1.5 inch hole. Called FXR, and got told tough chit because I didnt have a reciept. The warranty lady was straight up rude about it as well, I have never been so mad after a phone call in my life. They were new in the package and CLEARLY it was a manufacturing defect. They were even current model gear, it should have been no questions asked. You would think they would have wanted to replace them so they could get my set back and figure out what went wrong, noooope. I will never spend another dime on their trash and will discourage every one else I know from doing the same.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
That is the first time I have heard of a denial case that is BS. Very surprising to me. If they were in good shape, they should have been replaced.

95% of the people complaining on here do not have issues like that but want tears fixed for nothing "because it has lifetime warranty".
I sent in a pair of bibs 3-4 years ago that I wore for 3 or so years. They were heavily wore between the ankles and tunnel, the knees were the same story and there were small punctures here and there. I was explained to by the warranty rep that the lifetime warranty was a warranty for the lifetime of that specific garment- which is determined by them and that they could not do anything about the bibs, and that they were not even repairable. They offered to get me a new pair at a discounted price. It sucks that the warranty is not covering your lifetime, but it is understandable. My bibs were shot, and they wouldn't make a dime if they replaced everyones worn out abused gear for free.

I think 4 years of dry on a sled is good, and better than the other brands of clothing where you are lucky to be dry on the first ride. I also think Klim will always try to do SOMETHING for you if you have an issue, not just tell ya tough chit.

Few years ago I bought a set of FXR gloves from a dealer at haydays. Paid cash, took off on my merry drunk way. Got home and realized on of the fingers hadnt gotten stitched all the way, there was about a 1-1.5 inch hole. Called FXR, and got told tough chit because I didnt have a reciept. The warranty lady was straight up rude about it as well, I have never been so mad after a phone call in my life. They were new in the package and CLEARLY it was a manufacturing defect. They were even current model gear, it should have been no questions asked. You would think they would have wanted to replace them so they could get my set back and figure out what went wrong, noooope. I will never spend another dime on their trash and will discourage every one else I know from doing the same.
Totally agree. If the item is visibly just plain worn out (abrasions, small tears, etc) that's totally understandable. But the bit about "for the life of the item, and only we can determine when the end of life happens" is new, and frankly gives Klim an out whenever they want. It's very subjective. Don't get me wrong, I still think they make great products, I just hope this doesn't signal worse things to come.

And thanks for sharing the bit about FXR. I've been tempted to try their stuff before. But they really hosed my local dealer who was suppose to have an exclusive in our area, and with that and Klim being a "buy local" choice (I'm in Western MT), I stay with Klim.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have been reading and researching quite a bit. Since I still have a soft spot in my heart for snowbikes and my end up with one again someday I am looking for rugged bibs and I am finding that the Klim havoc is pretty much built like a brick sh1t house.

Both Alan Mangum and Bret Blazer of Timbersled (I got to ride with Bret) helped with the design. If those two signed off on the design, it has to be good.

Here's a link to a review of the Havoc:

http://www.snowmobile.com/products/klim-havoc-bib-review-2011.html

I see on Ebay the Powerhawk is $349 and the Havoc is $399.

The Powerhawk may be newer and may even be better but, I doubt it's a durable as the Havoc based on what I have read.

The jury is still out but, I am getting closer.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My first MotorFist pants lasted me about 3 years.

My second pair is going into season 4 and they are GREAT. Just getting a zipper fixed on one leg, but they stay dry and warm all season long.

yosh30

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2009
My first MotorFist pants lasted me about 3 years.

My second pair is going into season 4 and they are GREAT. Just getting a zipper fixed on one leg, but they stay dry and warm all season long.

3 seasons on my motorist gear also, just upgraded this year to some new motorist pants and jacket. All I can say about motorfist is WOW, their warranty department is second to none, I had to send my pants in last off season for the crotch ripping(which is my fault, I'm getting fat). Warrantied it no problem, sent one of the lightweight jackets in cause if a tear in the shoulder, warrantied it no problem. Also asked if I needed them to send a loaner jacket to use while mine would be getting fixed
LOOK IN THEIR CLEARENCE SECTION, great deals

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Both Alan Mangum and Bret Blazer of Timbersled (I got to ride with Bret) helped with the design. If those two signed off on the design, it has to be good.

Either that, or they stand to make a little money by "signing off" on this design. Seems to be the case when riders "endorse" a product. Mr. Burandt may or may not have done that a few (hundred) times. :)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yosh30, thanks for the tip on the Motofist clearance section. Most sizes are gone for a lot of the gear on their clearance page but, I was able to find these pants that are in my size at 56% off.

http://motorfist.com/trophy-pant/20598-81/product/

Speaking of size, it seems what Klim calls a medium, Motofist calls a large. I am glad I checked the Motofist sizing chart before ordering.

Oh what the heck, for $100 less than the price for one pair of Klim pants/bibs I went ahead and bought a matching Motfist Jacket and bibs.

The jackets are 63% off and like the pants, have a 5 star customer review rating.

http://motorfist.com/trophy-jacket/20594-81/product/

$129.99 Jacket
$169.99 Pants
-----------------
$299.98 with free shipping - what a great buy on quality stuff!

Thanks again for the tip!

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yosh30, thanks for the tip on the Motofist clearance section. Most sizes are gone for a lot of the gear on their clearance page but, I was able to find these pants that are in my size at 56% off.

Speaking of size, it seems what Klim calls a medium, Motofist calls a large. I am glad I checked the Motofist sizing chart before ordering.

Oh what the heck, for $100 less than the price for one pair of Klim pants/bibs I went ahead and bought a matching Motfist Jacket and bibs.

The jackets are 63% off and like the pants, have a 5 star customer review rating.

$129.99 Jacket
$169.99 Pants
-----------------

Be sure to report back and let us know how it works. Always hear good about motorfist.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'd encourage everyone looking to checkout the Motofist clearance section.

I initially bought a generic colored jacket to go with my new Motofist pants because you never know when you might change sled brands or sled colors.

Then I got to thinking about it. If I ride my Orange, black and white Cat for another year or two, it would sure be nice to have a matching orange and black jacket that matches the sled and for $129.00 how can you pass up a matching Gortex jacket. So, I went in and bought an orange one as well.

That brings the total for two Gortex jackets and one pair or Gortex riding pants to $429.97.

That's about as much as one pair of Klim bibs plus tax (and/or shipping), that's if you find a good deal on them!

I have heard great things about Motofist but have never tried their gear before but, it looks like I will be sporting it when the snow flies!

yosh30

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2009

$129.99 Jacket
$169.99 Pants
-----------------

You will definatly be happy, I've always bought from their CLEARENCE section. I myself don't mind wearing a previous season
Seasons model, especially at that price. They have had an amazing CLEARENCE section since they first opened up shop. Wait for their black Friday deals too..

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
MotorFist has been a great company, great gear with a great warranty.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Folks, I may have found what I was looking for (a bargain on quality Gortex gear) but, that doesn't mean you need to stop sharing your ideas with the others watching this thread. I will post my thoughts of the Motofist gear when it arrives. Thanks again for the great ideas!

yosh30

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2009
I'll throw out another great company I use for base layer, called minus33. Been wearing this stuff for years, elk hunting, sledding, ice fishing etc. Hands down the best base layer I have ever tried, they come in two different weights lightweight and expedition weight. I have both and I tell you what the expedition Weight keeps me warm in the below zeros with just that and my motorist outer layer. Best part about it is it's merino wool so you never get wet, even with sweating, just wiks it right off your body. Give it a look see boys:face-icon-small-win

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I'll throw out another great company I use for base layer, called minus33. Been wearing this stuff for years, elk hunting, sledding, ice fishing etc. Hands down the best base layer I have ever tried, they come in two different weights lightweight and expedition weight. I have both and I tell you what the expedition Weight keeps me warm in the below zeros with just that and my motorist outer layer. Best part about it is it's merino wool so you never get wet, even with sweating, just wiks it right off your body. Give it a look see boys:face-icon-small-win

Can you post a link to their website and the items you mentioned?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Klim Togwotees have been very very good to me.

I like bibs bette than pants. The seat never gets wet. And they are comfortable.

I ripped a knee on my running boards (my fault) and Klim repaired them and they look like new.

Would buy them again.

Premium Features