• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02-17-17 - The Mount Baker Blowout

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Is that even a good idea after the snow weve had this week? Im thinking the avy danger is going to be high for a bit.

Just sold my nytro or id be in. Your deffinitly gonna need some torque.

think it will take lots of rope/pulleys and stuff now if it keeps dumping as will be buried by march 1st might already be, might need snow to set up again unless it runs good , did same thing with friends sled a few yrs ago and couldn't tow it with 2 sleds pulling uphill and not as steep as this hill.
What finally worked was 200 ft of rope and a pully hooked to tree (which I don't see here) and rope hooked to dead sled and then good sled pulled rope down hill which towed dead sled up, works better than most winches.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
well Baker is socked in now and there is about 10ft in the forecast. He will probably have to have it lifted out when it gets uncovered in the spring. :(

I found a running snowhawk (blew a belt) one time up at bearpaw in July 2013, we couldn't get it out and it was about the last week of riding there.. I wonder if its still there somewhere?

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Get enough rope to loop down to the sled put a block/pulley on the nose with one end of the rope at the top anchored to a sled , you may have to dig the sled in at the top to better anchor it. Then either have half dozen guys or maybe one or two sleds to pull the dead sled up the hill. If the sled won't roll, take a piece of heavy plastic or a couple kids toboggans and lash the sled to them. Too keep the rope from digging into the snow at the top use a piece of wood long enough to keep the rope on it say, 3' long, not a small diameter or dead piece, find a green piece or bring one, alder works good. This would be a good opportunity to practice a rescue McGyver style. Make sure the block is a quality one, that has a pull rating pretty much double the weight of the sled,and for God's sake,,, make sure no one stands in the bite of the line, you know, between the pull point and the anchor point just in case the rope breaks... Might be wise to fab some kind of device to fit between the spindles so you have equal pull from the center, because just roping the spindles with no support between, could damage the bulkhead, if the sled is salvageable, otherwise rope it together and pull it out.

Last edited:

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I'd be willing but I don't have a lot of available days right now :/
Ever think about taking it down the mountain? there's a forest road that comes close and goes out towards hwy 542, NF-38.

Last edited:
L
Dec 8, 2013
West & East
I'd be willing but I don't have a lot of available days right now :/
Ever think about taking it down the mountain? there's a forest road that comes close and goes out towards hwy 542, NF-38.

Now that i see the coordinates n16ht5 provided (48.744424, -121.8739758) and relooking at the pics, i think that is steeper than i realized. Im assuming his 3rd pic (after you see the sled) is looking back to the chute that sleds in and from that angle it looks like it goes near vertical not too far below the sled. From google earth you can see the nooksack road down below it but i have a feeing you wont know unless your there at the moment. I do think the xhainsaw winch is the best idea for ease. Problem is either way someone has to walk their butt down to it to block and tackle it.....:juggle:

If you guys do make it up there and make an attempt. Please take pics or vid.

Im still baffeled how it happened but then again i remember several times looking back at my sled saying "what in the he!! Did i just do". Either that or my buddy saying "how in the he!! Did you do that". Lol

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
Well, here's my thoughts on this...not trying to dictate how it should be done, just offering another perspective. I haven't been to the exact location of this incident, so none of what I say may even be possible, but this is what I'm thinking...does anyone know if the sled is actually disabled, or if it can be driven? I'm sure this would be unknown unless someone (possibly the owner) went down to check it out, but I think it will make a significant difference in how the sled is recovered. Obviously, if it can move under it's own power (with a willing rider, or course!) pulling one of the chutes back up may be possible, even if it requires simultaneous towing from another sled or sleds up on top. Certainly easier than dragging it up.

Looking at one of the other pictures of where the sled is located (the dark 'thing' at the bottom of the chute, I'm guessing), it appears that recovering the sled up one of the next chutes uphill may be somewhat easier. It also looks like there is a low ridge that prevents the sled and avy debris from continuing down the mountain (at least in the inital direction, in-line with the chute). Hopefully this would offer a bit of a semi-flat, semi-safe zone to work on getting the sled rigged and ready to move.

If it were my sled and it could be moved/driven, but not yet recovered, I would attempt to relocate it to the area marked with the blue "X" in the picture below, as it looks like it would be less likely to be further buried or damaged by avalanche debris (including a few of the large cornices visible in one of the other pictures). Regardless of where the sled is, I'd still try to securely attach an avalanche probe (or some other long pole) to the sled so it can be more easily located after more snow has fallen. Maybe the owner has already done this, or maybe he has not been able to make it back up there, I don't know. I'd just hate to find that it's buried deeply by new avy debris, adding hours of digging to what looks like will already be a lengthy recovery effort.

As far as getting down to the sled...sure anyone could walk down there (and later, climb back up), but I do think if an experienced backcountry skiier (or splitboarder) could be convinced to take on this task, it would speed things along greatly. Skiing or riding down either chute (preferrably the "Alternate recovery chute") would likely take less than two minutes from top of chute to sled. When it's time to come up, they can put on their climbing skins and 'skin' back up as much as possible, hiking where necessary.

My other thought on this is that if there is a 'moderate' or above avalanche danger when the recovery takes place, one person gliding down on skis or a board will be able to cover the distance much faster, thus limiting their time in the 'danger zone' of the chute itself. Obviously there will still be some risk when climbing back out or towing the sled up, but I'd still aim to minimize the risk anywhere possible.

My main thought on doing all of this as quickly as possible, is to be able to utilize whatever small window of decent weather we may have to get it done. With that said, maybe the clouds will break after tomorrow's storm and we'll have nothing but bluebird for the next 3 weeks...but we just don't know, so personally, I'd plan for a short window; anything more will be a bonus!

Finally, if winching or towing the sled is the only way to bring it back up, I am thinking that the "Alternate recovery chute" may offer more in the means of anchors (trees lining the entire right side of it, as you look up) that could be used to progressively pull the sled in several stages. I'm not sure how far distance-wise the sled is from the top of the chute, but it looks to be several hundred feet. A Lewis chainsaw winch typically comes with only 150' of 3/16 cable. Even a capstan winch that could run any length of rope through it will probably need to be relocated a few times to make the pull from bottom to top, and throwing an anchor strap around a tree will be faster than digging and burying an anchor of some kind in snow alone.

Best-case scenario, if the sled starts and runs, a person could probably aim for the top of the chute and ride it as far as it goes before running out of momentum, then let it dig in and winch from there. Worst-case scenario, mark the sled with a probe and wait for some firm, spring snow, then dig it out and attempt recovery at that time. I know that if it were my sled, I would want it out of there as soon as possible, but given the weather and possible avalanche danger, waiting it out may still be the better choice.

Sorry for 'writing a book,' but hopefully something in there will be of use! :)

ZoomOut.jpg

Last edited:
D
Dec 16, 2007
Have him start a go fund me for the money for the Helicopter.
It's called an avalanche shoot for a reason. 50 degree slope, your just asking for someone to be killed, especially with the snow that's fallen and what's in the forecast.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I dont think we will be able to find it after this storm.. it will be under about 6-8ft of snow. the guy who was riding it said it bounced of rocks and wont be rideable, but I dont know for sure.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Anyone know why the sled was rolled to the bottom and not just left part way down the hill where it was more accessible? Maybe I missed that part of the story?

Rmkguy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Moses Lake, Washington
Fill with Tannerite-Shoot-Call insurance.

Just being a smart azz. Looks like a real challenge.

Sled rescue adventure sounds fun but I think calling in the heli would be the smartest option.
These things are never as easy and cheap as they sound and lots of things to go wrong. Id hate to see someone get hurt or killed rescuing any a damn sled.!!!!!!!!

my 2 cents

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Anyone know why the sled was rolled to the bottom and not just left part way down the hill where it was more accessible? Maybe I missed that part of the story?

wondered what was going on in the video...
Figured he tried to ride it out from the top portion of the hill?
I'm guessing nobody seen where it tumbled to a stop... That sled is so buried in snow by now... 50 + of new between Thursday and Friday. Buh-by

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
wondered what was going on in the video...

I heard something from another friend about a video of a sled being lost down a chute at Baker right around this time, and I wondered if it was the same person. Any chance you have a link to the video?

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
The reason I asked about it was because I have been following this thread since it started, and did not see any video link at any time, though it's entirely possible I could have missed it. The video a friend was telling me about was apparently posted on Facebook, though I did not see it. I'll see if he can get a link to it, if it's still available.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I'll try to upload it to youtube later, I think a spring recover will be doable at the end of the season. It should be very visible once the snow melts off a bit in May.

Premium Features