• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EDIT: EFI LIVE tuners & ANYONE HAVE/USE THE EDGE EVO-HT TUNER?? Thoughts/impressions.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
EDIT: EFI LIVE tuners & ANYONE HAVE/USE THE EDGE EVO-HT TUNER?? Thoughts/impressions.

I'm looking at getting this basic Edge GM EVO-HT tuner... I'm not wanting a full display on the dash... but want to get some pre-set options for my otherwise stock 2006 LBZ Druamax Silverado.

Looking for input on this.

NOT interested in any of the Evolution CS/Juice/BD etc.

Thanks in advance.

http://edgeproducts.com/products/gm-evoht-26030/

26030_extra_02.jpg

Last edited:
M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Some pretty cool stuff can be done with EFI Live, turbo brake, 5 position switchable tuning, ect. I have never been a fan of cookie cutter box tuning, especially edge. Not that edge doesnt run well, but they tend to make the go pedal really really touchy.

That is why i like EFI Live, you tell the tuner how you want the truck to behave and, assuming you chose a knowledgeable person, they make it happen. I have been tuning on my and others trucks since '05 and i will never own a premade boxed tuner again.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I really don't want to "tune" though.... Just want pre-sets.

The EFI live looks well thought out and has good reviews though. A bit pricey... probably because it does more than I need.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
I really don't want to "tune" though.... Just want pre-sets.

The EFI live looks well thought out and has good reviews though. A bit pricey... probably because it does more than I need.

EFI Live is not a "tuner" in the respect that most people think of them. It is a system that allows a person to set the parameters themselves, or, as is the case more often, take it to a shop that has the system and let them do it. There are many many diesel performance shops throughout the country who will tune your truck for varying prices usually depending on how radical you want to go with the power. My recomendation would be to find a reputable diesel performance shop in your area who does EFI Live tuning and speak with them.

Bear in mind though, even though you have the 6 speed allison, which is slightly stronger than the 5 speed, it will only stay reliable at about 75-80 HP over stock power. Especially towing, i would keep the power gains low.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
IMO edge products are junk. I would not go with anything other than EFI live. It's definitely worth it. Get yourself a turbo break and don't look back.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
In the DMAX, nothing will touch a good EFI Live Tune. Dont worry about getting 5 tunes and going crazy. Best advice is use a reputable tuner(Rob Coddens, Kory Willis, etc), and it doesnt sound like you want to go overboard so just get 2 tunes. An "Optimized Stock" tune in a LBZ will be a huge improvement without worrying about hurting the truck(no added power). For a second tune I would get a Towing tune with a turbo brake(usually about 40 hp).

:thumb:

EDIT-

when you say "pre-sets", what specifically are you looking for?

Last edited:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
What I want is to order it, pull it out of the box, plug it in... select the setting .... and not have to "tweak" or tune, nor download anything

gotcha- 2 options really...

1. look around you local area and see if there is a shop that offers EFI Live products, and have them tune it.

2. get a "Autocal", basically just like the edge evo, but with the added benefit of being custom tunes. You will have to download the stock settings out of the truck and email them to your tuner, but its a super simple process and they have great instructions.

I like option 2, because if you ever have a check engine light and you are out in the boonies you can read and clear it yourself.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
So...I see that there are strong supporters of the EFI live setup..

It is double the cost of the EDGE EVO-HT.

What, Specifically, does the EFI live do that the Edge EVO-HT does not... and what experiences do you have related to that.

Please bear with me...on some intro questions.

Since I have a completely stock truck... why would I need to have it "tuned"... IE there are no strange variables involved.

Can I return the ECM to stock without the help of a shop?

Last edited:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven

yes, but where as the edge evo is a "canned tune", the EFI is a custom tuned based on the way your truck runs

What, Specifically, does the EFI live do that the Edge EVO-HT does not... and what experiences do you have related to that.
EFi has the ability to be changed as the needs of the truck change. need a towing tune? got it. need a high idle tune? got it. need a valet tune? got it. tire sizes changed? got it The ability and features go way beyond what the edge unit has to offer.

Since I have a completely stock truck... why would I need to have it "tuned"... IE there are no strange variables involved.
really you dont "need" to have added HP, with just a "optimized stock" tune the truck will run way smoother, better egt's, better mileage, etc

if you were to get the AUTOCAL, then yes

see the red above

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
BTW... you can tell by my posts... I'm new and ignorant to the whole thing.

I'm learning, for example, what a tuner is.... what a person is who is a tuner... what is a tune... etc etc... funny that the small diffs jargon makes a big diff in what you are talking about .

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
BTW... you can tell by my posts... I'm new and ignorant to the whole thing.

I'm learning, for example, what a tuner is.... what a person is who is a tuner... what is a tune... etc etc... funny that the small diffs jargon makes a big diff in what you are talking about .

this is what you need to read, keep in mind, there are new offerings like the AUTOCAL that are more what you are looking for.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/efi-live/30321-efi-live-faq-read-first.html

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho

You do not have to buy any hardware for EFI Live, not sure that was stated, unless you go the route of the autocal. If you have a local shop do it, they have all the hardware you just bring the truck, tell them what you want it to do, and it's done. Now, without the autocal, only drawback is you will have to return to an equipped shop to return to stock calibration. Usually not a big deal. The difference between a cookie cutter tune (edge, bullydog) and EFI is the cookie cutter tune is a blanket to cover several different operating systems and calibration files. There are many different ones for essentially the same truck, but with subtle differences. With EFI the tuner will take these subtile differences into account when he does your truck. Other pluses include things like making the throttle less or more responsive, adding a turbo brake (exhaust brake without adding any hardware), changing cold high idle characteristics, the possibilities are endless. But, it all comes down to what you want the thing to do and what you're willing to spend.

Sent From God Knows Where...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Mike, Do you know if the DSP5 switch can be installed and used on a programmed ECU without having the AutoCal module remaining in the truck or do the 5 different programs "live" in the AutoCal module?

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Mike, Do you know if the DSP5 switch can be installed and used on a programmed ECU without having the AutoCal module remaining in the truck or do the 5 different programs "live" in the AutoCal module?

The 5 tunes live in the ECM. Once the calibration is programmed into the trucks computer you are done with EFI Live's hardware, be it the autocal or the shop who tuned the truck, until you want to return to stock calibration.

Sent From God Knows Where...

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I don't own a Duramax but if I did I would only go with something from a shop that specializes in EFI. The tunes are "Custom" for "your truck".

Plus with any modern automatic transmission tuning is a must. And I mean more than just bumping up line pressures.

It sounds like you want the safest HP you can get. I.E. low EGTs, low smoke, good mileage, safe fuel pressures, a transmission that will still be alive in 100,000 miles the list goes on and on.

Only Custom tuning can get all that done for you. And EFI is the best in the business.

Ford world we look at custom SCT dealers, Spartan Diesel and maybe a couple others. But they are not quite up to what EFI can do.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've had an Edge Evol tuner on my old '06 LBZ. It added four different levels of power gains which was great with an exhaust. The biggest complaint I have is that you had to power down the truck to change the levels. This wasn't a terrible option, but I think you are getting great info on EFILive. The tuner you are looking at is at least half as much as an EFILive tune. But I'm going to EFILive myself. 5 position switch and I'll likely go the AutoCal route. The custom tunes are just that much better and that 5 position switch can be adjusted while trucking down the road.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies.

A friend of mine directed me to this website...and has good things to say about the results he got.
http://www.powerupdiesel.biz/

What I'm wondering is if there is a good EFI live tuner-person that could give me the same thing as this... but with a couple of extra programs.

I'd prefer to be able to send in my ECU and not have to buy the programming hardware... other than the DSP5 switch.

Modes I'd like

1) Max economy. (this is the most important to me)
I'd want the tuner-person to have decent experience with this.

2) I'd like to get an improved tow mode.. when the tow switch on the shifter is engaged... that will give a better turbo braking and more tow friendly shifts and power.

3) A "Fun" improved power mode that keeps in mind the stock transmission and engine setup.

4) Bone stock mode.

If you know of a shop that can pull this off, with a long track record... please let me know.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Do some interweb research and see if there are any reputable diesel shops using efi in your area, then you could simply take the truck down there tell them what you want and be done with it. Personally I think the autocal from someone like Idaho rob at atptrucks is the best bang for the buck, granted its almost $700 with dsp5 tuning, but you get custom tunes of your choice by one of the best tuners out there in a hand held unit similar to that edge you posted. Also to top it off from my understanding if you download the efi software (for free) to your computer you can use the autocal and your computer for a full diagnostics tool with a full range of diagnostic capabilities not just a simple code reader like most handheld tuners. My understanding is that the autocal has all the same features as the full efi setup minus the ability to write your own tunes.

A buddy of mine with an 07 lbz recently bought an autocal from rob and said his last fill up with the new tunes he got 19 mpg mixed driving, Granted he drives like a little old lady. Another buddy with the same truck has the full edge and cts setup and says he sees 15mpg tops.

Premium Features