• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowest member needs Help!

My uncle (866RMK Snowest id) was on his way form Minnesota to Thunder Mountain lodge and his truck broke down in Denver about an hour ago. Hes towing a 28 footer with 3 sleds and I'm trying to find a way for him to continue his vacation. Only found one rental place and they want crazy money to rent a 1 ton for a week (800 bucks for the week). Looking to see if anyone has any great ideas on how I can get them moving tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice.

Problem

He told me his ford excursion went into limp mode then blew hose clamp off turbo intake. He also feels there could be another underlying problem. Truck was just towed to a Ford dealer near Golden. Won't be able to get an answer for repair untill monday most likley. He has reservations @ Thunder Mountain lodge starting tomorrow (Sunday). IDEA! Anyone with a 3/4-1 ton truck want to join the threesome?

Last edited:

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
My guess is that he was trying to pull the hill right out of denver which is no little hill and the thing was making max boost. Which in turn blew the hose off putting the truck into limp mode and blowing tons of black smoke similar to a turbo failure. Is it possible that the line blew off because of some oil on the boot, a somewhat common problem. Wondering if that isn't what put it in to limp mode. Did he try putting it back together and trying it. Was it the tranny that went in to limp mode O/D light flashing. Or the motor? Did the hose blow before or after the thing went in to limp mode? Don't mean to ask dumb questions, just trying to help.

Last edited:

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
I'd be in denver tomorrow if my truck's glow plug relay didn't get stuck on and fry all my plugs, if i get it fixed ill let you know!

Sorry
Grant

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Minocqua, WI/ Foxboro, WI
My guess is that he was trying to pull the hill right out of denver which is no little hill and the thing was making max boost. Which in turn blew the hose off putting the truck into limp mode and blowing tons of black smoke similar to a turbo failure. Is it possible that the line blew off because of some oil on the boot, a somewhat common problem. Wondering if that isn't what put it in to limp mode. Did he try putting it back together and trying it. Was it the tranny that went in to limp mode O/D light flashing. Or the motor? Did the hose blow before or after the thing went in to limp mode? Don't mean to ask dumb questions, just trying to help.

There is no dumb question. You have to cover all the bases if they want a proper diagnosis

Update

Thanks for the help Matt & everyone else. He did try to reattach the boot but still in Limp mode. You hit the nail on the head though Matt. He was towing up the first hill out of Denver when the problem started. Looks like his options are springing for an expensive rental monday morning. I feel real bad as this was going to be our first snowmobile trip together (I live in Aspen and was going to meet him at the lodge). He was the one that got me into this sport and I have to say the first time I rode my 2008 D7 I was in Heaven.

thanks again for the help.

ZG

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Did he disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the computer, I think that will work on that truck. Which should take it out of limp mode. If I didn't have to work tonight and have to be back to work at 6 a.m. I would drive down there with my scanner and help or worst case put the trailer on my truck and get him to breck.

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
On another note, we are up on the Mesa right now at our cabin. The snow is tracked up anywhere close to the trails and maybe 10" in the trees. ROCKS everywhere!!!! Thundermountain Lodge is AWESOME...it is nice to go over there after a days ride and have a couple drinks, Mark and Jiny are very nice people!!

Update

Looks like hes going to hang in Denver untill Monday morning and wait for the prognosis. Just going to push the trip back a couple of days. Jeff thanks for the offer. I let him know the snowest group was looking for ways to help. Again thanks to everyone that offered some advice. On a positive note I'm heading up to the Mesa (carbondale side) we found some pretty good snow up top.

Premium Features