• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

mountain cat 600 bogging/backfire

friend has mountain cat 600, not sure of the year but he says it idles fine but when he gets on the throttle it will bog and backfire:eek: he says his dad has went thru "almost everything" but i wanted to get some opinions so i can help get him running good. his dad thinks it might be bad gas so he is having him burn the current tank out and go from there.

D
Dec 8, 2008
unplug the kill switch on the bars and give it a quick try. I have had I think five failures now with these older kill switches!

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
unplug the kill switch on the bars and give it a quick try. I have had I think five failures now with these older kill switches!

It's more likely the kill function that is integrated into the thumb throttle assembly. It is an easy fix. Start by unplugging the whole kill switch loom (right at the base of the handlebars). If that cures it then cut the wire that goes to the thumb throttle assembly.

I don't remember which color wire it was, but you have a common/ground, and you have two other wires comming down to the plug.

Find the common, and tone for the kill switch, and it is the other one. Cut the wire, and put heat-shrink or tape around it so it doesn't ground out. Problem solved.

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Any updates on this. My wifes started doing this yesterday at the end of the ride. I had the stator redone last year and it has about 150 miles on that. Have not had a chance to look at it yet.

Premium Features