For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Ski-Doo: S-2000 and older 1998 and older, all models in the S-2000 chassis and older chassis models

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Currently: Snowgoer
Basic Member
Boreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant future
Default Prmix fuel on tundra and leave oil pump?

I have 92 tundra and want to start premixing fuel instead of relying on the oil pump. Can i not just start premixing the fuel and leave the oil pump intact? Is there any mechanical reason to remove the whole system? Thanks.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Currently: almost ready for winter
Thanked 5,322 Times in 2,763 Posts
backcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond repute

If you remove the oil & keep the pump running you'll seize it.... you're eliminating the lubrication it needs on the pump end to run.

If you were to do what you're saying, you'd need to run a loop so the pump is always running oil through it. By doing this you're increasing risk rather than decreasing imo, which is the primary reason to go to premix.

What is your main motivation in making the change?
(I've run premix the last 18000 or so miles on my sleds, so this isn't a trick question, I'm just curious what motivates YOU to want to do it?)

Your source for BMFAB boards & bumpers, BDX, Speed Shop inc, YAMALUBE, EVS armor & braces, Renthal bars

Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Currently: Dirt Bike Season!
eddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oil pump

The failure rate of Mikuni oil pumps, going back 50 years, is very very small. Statistically insignificant. When they do fail they go full rich. With a working cable they are an extremely safe set up.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Currently: Snowgoer
Basic Member
Boreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant futureBoreal has a brilliant future

Someone mentioned to me that they removed the pump on their tundra as they can fail and so I started reading up on it and the doom and gloomers on some of these forums say that it is essential to remove the oil pump and run premix.

My tundra runs fine but has more miles on it than I know of so thought it might be a good idea to switch to running premix. The oil reservoir seems to hardly move at all.

I think of my tundra now as a classic machine and don't want to tear pieces off of it if it is not necessary. I thought that it would be nice if I could leave the pump and reservoir in place and run premix. Would leaving the pump cause it to suck in air that might damage the engine?

I use the tundra to take my dog for a run around the farm and to get firewood, so it has a fairly easy life now.