• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

#2 fuel and -30 temps

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Well, I was up in the Detroit Lakes, MN area over the weekend and it was flat out F'ing cold!! I've been using the Amsoil Cold Flow all winter and most of last and I was a little concerned whether it would handle the temps we had up there, it was -30 on Friday night. Last year I was coming through MN and had temps in the -15 to -20 and the fuel in the transfer tube from the big tank to the stock tank gelled but the rest of it was good, this time around I had no issues.

I have an 80 gal aluminum tank in the box and the stock tank and they both remained liquid. Came across a Powerstroke on the highway that was dead, he had kids with him so I thought I'd offer up my warm cab but he had a ride coming, and he was using Howes (my brand of choice for years).

I was pleasantly surprised.

Dec 10, 2007
Zillah, WA.
it should flow

very difficult to say, but maybe his fuel filter was old.

The older they get, the more water they have, the faster they freeze. You could have good treated fuel, but it may not be able to pass the fuel filter!

I am in central wa and some times the fuel is not up to the occasional cool temp. But, I think the fuel is usually pretty stout in the very cold climates. I have seen the stickers on the pumps in WY.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Sounds like a good product. I wouldn't knock on the Howes to much though. I've seen it do some pretty amazing things. We use it exclusively on our farm and I do in my pickup to and no problems in some pretty cold temps below even the -30 in straight #2. I'm guessing like said above he had and old filter or something else going on that caused it.

JW

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
O'Neill, NE
I've run Howes in my trucks for years but for lubrication only. I don't have any luck at all in Nebraska running it with straight 2. You can count on it gelling when it gets to -5 below. Thats even 1 full bottle to 120 gal.!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I just run straight 1 and have no problems. Just my experience.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
my dad was coming back from lake of the woods that day with howes and geled up. he was able to limp it 45 miles to where he could some #1 and that ran good

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
I also had great luck running #2 with Amsoil recently. Never gelled up. But then again, I have never gelled up in the past other than once when I just bought the truck from the dealer. Stupid dealer didn't bother to put in a lil treatment or wintermaster on their lots.

Premium Features