• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 GMC exhaust

S

ski-doo25

Dec 5, 2007
Marcus, IA
I've got an 08 GMC duramax and the POS exhaust filter keeps plugging. Whats my best route for getting rid of that thing? I'd like to put straight on with a nice chrome tip but the dealer seems to think thats not possible for some reason. I know I've seen other trucks the same as mine with aftermarket exhaust. Help me out here guys:D:beer;

B
Jan 20, 2009
It it possible, i'm not sure who does it in your area but Look around on the net for DPF delete kits, I belive they replace all the muffler and DPF and everything with a straight pipe and then add a custom tune to the truck to fool it into thinking the DPF is still there, and it sounds awsome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViWhoyxjqfM

H
Nov 26, 2007
Merritt, BC
i spent hours researching this as i really wanted to delete the DPF but in the end i haven't bit the bullet as of yet. the thing with it is once you delete the DPF, the truck's computer will put the truck into limp mode. to bi-pass this you'll need to get a tuner (Edge,PPE etc). Supposedly this voids your warranty. i looked into this and it doesn't void the warranty but if you have any problems in the future you will have to prove that the tuner didn't cause the issue. all the newer trucks have a fail safe in built into the computer that will show if you've hooked up a tuner so no taking it off before a visit to the dealer. take a look at dieselplace.com and look up your year. there are guys on there like here that sell the kits etc.
you should see a fuel saving that offsets the costs within a year.

C

cableguy

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Country BC
If EFI live has a program for it then order a New ECM and get it programmed how you want and swap it out whenever going in for warranty My 06 works great with that set up

B
Dec 21, 2006
I have the same truck as you. It looks the the Stealth tuner is the least expensive tuner to have if you remove the DPF. The 06' exhaust is the same as the new truck minus the DPF. Order that. I think that I am going to do the MBRP without the downtube. It will delete the Cat, DPF, and Muffler. Currently I have the DPF back MBRP. It looks a lot better than stock. I might have picked up a 10th or so in fuel economy.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Athena OR
Tuner or not if you delete the DPF your waranty goes with it! I have this crap on my work truck and have talked to many different dealers and they all say that no DPF NO waranty. I want to get rid of it to eliminate the extra heat during harvet when I am out in the stubble fields. Still may do it anyways.

N
I had that stupid thing plug up on me on a trip home from wyoming and siad that was the end of that thing. Took it down to ST joe diesel and they put a mbrp exaughst kit on it and reprogramed the computer with efi live also put a cold air on. Not only does it sound way better and look sweet with chrome tip, but also gets atleast 5 mpg better. And also adds like 60 hp to it. So for me it was a good deal. And my local deal knows that i have it on and he still waranties the truck. He said he dont care about it. I am taking my new truck down this week to get this done to it also.

F
Jun 7, 2008
I'm runnin EFILive on my 07.5 LMM D-Max with 5" turbo-back straight pipe. Definitly the way to go. I got my EFILive through duramaxtuner.com and it came with a free year subscription to a tune library you can use on your truck. The owner, Nick, will also write a tune for you if he doesn't already have what you are looking for. Also a big help if you encounter any problems with it.

S

ski-doo25

Dec 5, 2007
Marcus, IA
Thanks for all your imput guys. I really wish I could find a place to warranty it still but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Warranty or not that thing has to go. Thanks again

Look into your local area or state about future visual emission inspections. In Utah next year this goes into place. If your truck was manufactured with an cat or a DPF system and there not in place it wont pass emission till its reinstalled! Theres going to be alot of people scrambling to reinstall these systems. You might save your old exaust, it might be worth some bucks in the future! Also you might think about just hollowing out the cat and eliminate the DPF but leave the tailpipe intact so it looks like it is still operable? Just a thought- good luck.

T

Todd H

Nov 27, 2007
PPE, Quadzilla and EFI live are all good. Order the MBRP exhaust off a '07 classic truck, it will bolt up. Unless your dealer can prove that the delete is causing a problem they cannot void your warranty. I've got twin turbos on mine, and it runs better than stock. Dealer has warrantied everything that has gone wrong ( all non-engine related). If the truck blows up I'll install the factory junk and have it towed to the dealer.

MPI twin turbo kit, the ultimate towing weapon. Tuning by ATP diesel.

Good luck.

Premium Features