• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 dodge cummins...wha can ya tell me about them?

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
hey guys...so ive been lookin for something that will blow a little black smoke and found an 01 dodge 24v....but its an auto. only has 137k on it and they are askin 11000 for it. i have heard theiruto trannys are chit and to get the 5 or 6spd. so...give me the ups and downs of both. i have only owned a gaser so i dont know much about dodges and the cummins motor...yet
thanks in advance!
cajun

I have had 5 dodge cummins. loved them all. my latest is an 04.5 4 door 4x4. love the power, its not stock, but fuel mileage is not that great. the 01's 24 valve had some lift pump issues- they would starve the injection pump and take it out. the injection pump is the electronic version of the older rotary pump. you can chip them and make some very good power. the nv 4500 transmissions are pretty tough but have had issues of the fifth gear nut backing off. I had one in a modded 95, running about 350+ horse and never had an issue, the stock clutch will not take much abuse as I found out and have to be upgraded. Southbend makes a very good clutch for these trucks. the six speeds, nv5600 are more robust than the nv4500 and are also a good tranny. hopes this helps yopu out:) ps- the autos can be modded to hold some decent torque, but it gets spendy!

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
My dad has a '01 24V automatic. With just over 100k on it had to have the lift pump and main pump replaced. Other than that it's been a really good truck probably has 135k on it right now. With a 80 h.p. chip, it pulls their 32 ft. fifth wheel very well. I'd see if the pumps have been replaced and if they have jump in, if not....don't be suprised if your spending a couple thousand to put a pump in it before too long. Oh yeah and the fuel mileage is nothing to write home about, at least compared to what everyone says their getting with their cummins powered trucks. It gets about 13-14 no matter what.

Last edited:
S
Mar 29, 2008
Sunlight Basin, WY
Alot of times they will put a sticker under the hood when they switch to the aftermarket conversion pump. The sticker is typically by the hood latch and reads something like" Fuel system Modification" Look for the sticker, The new aftermarket in line lift pump does not fail, Ask the owner about it, It is very expensive when the stock pump goes out

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
thanks for the help guys! i have a buddy with a cummins and he gets 20-21mpg but its the 12v. why would the 24v get chitty mileage?

as for the pumps i will keep that in mind! its at a used car dealership so ill have to see what they say.
thanks again!

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
Rajun hey i had a 01 6spd loved it until 95k when the lift pump and injection pump went out on it. the thing was gettin 18mpg and it ran really good. then i had a 02 auto with only 30k on it and really if you are good with the autos they will last forever.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I had an 01 6 speed and had descent luck with it.

I did replace a couple lift pumps but never an injector pump. IMO a fuel pressure gauge is mandatory on these trucks.

I also replaced a vacuum pump seal, transfer case seal and a couple tie rods.

Not terrible but not outstanding. Truck never left me stranded or anything.

My mileage was pretty good, but my truck was not stock. i had a Southbend ConOFE, 100 hp injectors, EDGE Juice, AFE air intake, 4" turboback. I could usually get 18-20 MPG on the highway. 16-19 around town. 13-16 pulling a four place or car.

From people I've known, they have had good luck with the autos.

If it has 130k on it and hasn't been rebuilt, then expect to rebuild it. Also, the injector pumps have high failure rates so if that hasn't been done, you might expect it.

IMO, spend a few more grand and try to find an 03 or 04. My 03 is a lot better truck then my 01 ever was.

ragin' I just bought a new truck and my 01' 5sp qcsb 4x4 is up for grabbs. it has all the necessary goodies guages, south bend clutch, 4" stainless, new tc and new IP and LP. cowl hood, ranch hands on both ends and is waaay clean. I am asking 10,500 and love to barter......if iterested call me. you will have a heck of a time finding a nicer one then mine.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
My 98.5 gets 16 loaded and unloaded lol.. that was in the winter and it seems to be better now that summers here. 16mpg just seems to be the sweet spot for mine lol

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
I have a 1999 cummins and love the truck. it has the auto tranny and has lasted me a long time. I did have a lift pump go out bout 2 months ago and decided to go big with the Air Dog 150 pump. I would recomend this setup to anyone with a cummins who has the need for "more fuel". the stock lift pumps will not last with any modifications that require more fuel. this kit has the pump, two filters, 1 inch pickup tube in tank and half inch hose all the way to the VP-44 injection pump. I also updated with the Smarty tunner. It will boost you 140 hp and has many other advantages. these trucks do have there problems especialy with front end steering including steering box, drag links and more. Yet i know of a few people who have over 500,000 miles on these engines and have never been rebuilt...As for the fuel mileage, i am getting 24 mph on my #10 level tune....

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
Put a FASS system on it and run it. Remember black smoke is wasted/unburned fuel! I have a n '01 5spd QC LB with the FASS, 60 hp injectors, K&N cold air kit 4" exhaust running 265/75R 16's. I have been keeping track of mileage with a spread sheet since I got it and overall it is 18 mpg, town/highway/hunting and pulling a 25' 4 place enclosed. The best I have ever done was 24.2 and the worst is 12.3....Truck has 176,000 and had to replace the VP44 and did the FASS Install shortly after.

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
i have a '99 dodge cummins 24v and i've gotten up to 24 mpg :) 35's, 5 inch exhaust, afe cold air intake, chip un plugged.

hayden, here are some more pics from today.......10.5 gets you this.......... if the guy coming today does not buy it.
truck011.jpg

truck012.jpg

truck013.jpg

truck014.jpg

truck015.jpg

truck010.jpg

Premium Features