• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 dodge 6.7 with the 68rfe the good the bad

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
6.7 Cummins

I have a 03 HO done up to 450+hp to the rear wheels and the thing is so hard on driveline components that it leaves me stranded, the last time was on New Years when the transfer case let go to the tune of $3500. I was told then thats its time for it to go. I've since bought my 08 Megacab Laramie 6.7, I am so impressed with this thing. I drove from Penticton to Fort Mac only stopping in Olds to fill up and driving around Edmonton for a bit and still had 1/2 of a tank when we rolled in to town. Mega cabs are Awesome compared to a Quad cab, the truck rides better, more room, more everything. I did get mine with a leveling kit, Core Racing wheels, and Pro Comp 35's. Do it you won't regret it !

Last edited:

Somescreenname

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
this is probably a stupid question, but what are the "deletes" that keep getting referred to with the 6.7????

S
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Shaw, Montana
Deletes refer to removing the emmision items on the 07 and new 6.7L Cummins. The EGR and DPF.

I have a 08 2500 Mega Cab. Love the pickup. Previously owned a 06 5.9 Mega cab, liked that pickup also.

I put about 60k miles on these a year. This pickup i am crowding 40k on, no problems. Pulls great. I primarily use this pickup running up on the highline, between work and home. When I am home I use it to pull. Usually loads with my 8x22ft horse trailer 1 wide, 2 deep with cows.

When ever i go sledding, I get nomonated to drive. Due to how well the pickup pulls and the room. I mean, lets face it, there is enough room in the back for a small bed, stripper pole or keg fridge.

I liked the reliability of the 5.9 in my old 06. Not having the emmision items, easy maintenance, that and you put a smarty on it and it turned the 5.9 into a animal.

But would i trade my 08 for my 06, not on your life. Stock for stock the 08 is a different pickup. The 6spd auto is very nice, the ability to manually shift is great, and the exaust break, well that is be best feature they have put on a diesel since the turbo.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/ is a great site to read about 6.7 L cummins.

Couple pictures of my pickup.

l_988a0c61d60d1cb80224283ec9daae6e.jpg

Picture of Riskit in Utah, first road trip with the 08, went to Utah to pick up his new trailer.
l_eeb2179674dd9761738cce3cd068cdfc.jpg

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I picked up an 07.5 Mega (6.7) back in November with 4400 miles on it, just turned over to 12,000 and it's been back to the dealer 3 times. Mostly emissions related stuff and the next time it acts up it's all going in the trash. I get 16 with the EGR unplugged (13 plugged in) and the lie-ometer is usually right on the money when hand calculated out, 8-12 towing my enclosed 4 place depending on the wind.
As with anything else, the dealer can make the experience, I've been on the phone looking for a "flexible" dealer and some of the comments from some of these guys is just unbeleivable. One guy told me that if I'm getting 8mpg (that's what I started out at) that I should be happy, that's about all I'm going to get and if I wanted fuel mileage I should have bought a bug. Another one told me that they have sold a lot of the 6.7's but really haven't had to work on any (good one!!). The one I'm working with seems to be decent, not so sure how they are going to react to the delete's when I do them but hopefully the motor/tranny are a lasting combo and I wont need to go back. The last trip they found 4 updates that needed to be done and that seemed to help the mileage quite a bit, but they also said that there are some improved parts for the exhaust and turbo but can't put them on until I have a "failure", so they know there is a problem out there but would rather wait until the customer needs to be hauled in off the highway after a "failure" then to get them taken care of before that point.

I think if you trash the emissions crap... they are probably as good or better than the 5.9, but this coming from a previous Ford Powerstroke owner who would really like the 7.3 back. I buy Diesels for longevity and durability, I'm crossing my fingers......

Somescreenname

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
so how are you essentailly "tricking" the ecu into not recognizing these components once they are removed? because it is my understanding that those two items are continually monitored.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Shaw, Montana
so how are you essentailly "tricking" the ecu into not recognizing these components once they are removed? because it is my understanding that those two items are continually monitored.

You have to put a aftermarket programer on it. One that has the ability to read and clear codes. The two main ones for the 6.7 that do this are the Edge chip and the bully dog PMT.

Only by clearing the codes will your pickup be fooled that these components are still on there and are still working.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
they actually have a code free box that comes with the stage 2 dpf delete kits that stop the truck from throwing codes,i talk to napd & they said there working great.:beer;

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I have the Edge Juice with Attitude monitor on my 6.7. As long as I have it set to clear codes on start-up and give it time to complete the clearing, it never sets the check engine light. If I'm in a hurry and just start the engine and go, the check engine light will come on within half a kilometer. Even so, it does not seem to effect how the truck runs.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
Ok here's the results for a few of you who haven't heard or seen this kind of mpg. I figured it out for real or real world results and here it is:
1075 kms on 105 L = 10.238095 L/100kms
671.875 m on 26.25 gal = 25.595238 mpg
I drove the speed limit where ever I went with no load. I know someone will come on here and do the math differently and call me a lair, but who cares. Alot of people on this site think they know it all, just look at this thread. THIS IS WHAT I GET FOR FUEL ECONOMY. IF YOU DON'T BELEIVE ME, WHO CARES. FOR THE PERSON WHO STARTED THIS THREAD, THESE TRUCKS ARE AWESOME. YOU COULDN'T GO WRONG IN GETTING ONE, FOR WHATEVER JOB YOU HAVE FOR IT. BY THE WAY, MY OVERHEAD IS .5 MPG LOW.
....i'm looking at a new 6.7 mega with auto, i've noticed that some of the new trucks have a 3.42 rear end in them, which is supposed to account for 1-2 mpg more....i need the 3.73 'cause my boat is about 15k, but the 6 spd auto with brake and the bigger torque is getting my attention...combined with the big cuts in pricing.....most new owners seem happy with reliability, and mileage even with egr stuff is not much different that my 06 5.9......pulling my boat at 65 mph, i get 8.5 (10 1/2 wide, 13 ft tall catches a lot of air), empty at 65 i get 21....i'm at 5-8 k ft altitude, which eats into my power also....this with standard tires and an EZ tow chip, economy setting to keep egts no more than 1400....

B
Nov 26, 2007
North Vancouver
Just when I was ready to keep my 06...
The six speed auto and exhaust brake are pretty tempting.

I can add the exhaust brake to my existing truck, but the transmission....

I havent seen many 09s on the lots in Vancouver... The dealer I dealt with in Vernon, had not brought any in, because they still had 08s.
And, he is the same guy that told me no more Megacabs in 09, or 2010...:rolleyes:

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
I have a 08 3500 Mega auto and like others love it except for the MPG. Started doing the deletes and 5" on a bud's yesterday and might push me over the edge to do mine. Could not believe the crap hanging under that truck, I bet some of the increase in MPG's is from less weight!!!As others have said I wouldn't give up my Mega.

Juggs

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007

A edge will clear the troble codes you put 470 ohm resistoers in the 3 EGT plugs that where plugged into the stock exhaust, this tel;s the puter that the exhaust is flowing at like 1100 degrees
i have a 08 with the dpf & EGR deletes , S&B CAI,5 inch TBE , Edge juice with Attiude . Stacked with a Xtreme Power puck and Boost Fooler
Truck is awesome

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
A edge will clear the troble codes you put 470 ohm resistoers in the 3 EGT plugs that where plugged into the stock exhaust, this tel;s the puter that the exhaust is flowing at like 1100 degrees
i have a 08 with the dpf & EGR deletes , S&B CAI,5 inch TBE , Edge juice with Attiude . Stacked with a Xtreme Power puck and Boost Fooler
Truck is awesome

Hey Juggs did they make you remove your "recent avatars" from this site?

I am running exactly what Juggs has and it flat moves!!

Sap

Premium Features