• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for advice on gear, pacs, probes, beacons etc - new to avy gear

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
So here's the deal. I'm new to the whole avalanche survival gear thing. I'm a flatlander but will be going out to places where I wouldn't mind to have decent gear should the need arise. At this point in time I don't anticipate going anywhere real radical, but as I go out to higher elevation areas more and more, I could see the need for some high end gear.

Here's the facts that I will be trying to base a decision on.
1) likely to only be needed 2-3 times per year (its a min of 10 hour drive for me to anywhere with "avalanche zones) - I live in the middle of no where
2) I want gear that will work when needed, not cheap crap I cant rely on
3) serviceability -because of where I live, I'm hoping I don't have to send things half way around the world to keep them in working order

Thats the major ones, things like weight and so on would also be considered, just not to the degree of the others

Now what I'm looking for is suggestions on good, cost effective gear, and why someone would recommend it. I haven't done alot of research on anything specific yet, as I plain old just don't know where to start. As gear is suggested I will look into it and try and decide on something

I just need a few starting points

thanks all

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
Avy gear

Like it was said previously, training and practice is your best tool to survival. Next is safety in numbers. Make sure the guys you ride with also have the training, they will be the ones looking for you if there is a avalanche or someone gets hurt. If you are the only one in your group that has the training or the gear it doesn't do you any good when your in need of rescue. A tracker 2 beacon is a must. Seems to be the best price and the easiest beacon to use for us. A good size sturdy probe is a must. Next is a good sturdy shovel. If you have the money a avy pack is next. I purchased a snow pulse avy pack because it was one of the larger air bags that also protected your head and core from trauma. It also has 150 liters of breathable air for you to breath if you are trapped under neath the snow. Another must have is a Spot personal satellite tracker. You can check in with the family, send up date messages and also send for help or a 911 rescue. When you use it, it also send your location with your message. It is a must as far as I am concerned. I use mine all the time, when I am traveling, boating, quading, or sledding. Again, training, practice and preventative measures are your first tool you need. Our group was caught in a avalanche and we lost a good buddy of ours. So yes I have some first hand experience what is needed. We definitely learned from our accident what we should of done differently. We shouldn't of been there to start with in questionable weather conditions. We should of had better gear and training. I have since taken another avy coarse, updated all of my gear, and all of the guys I ride with have done the same. So I just wanted to remind everyone to play smarter and be safe. Remember all the training and gear still doesn't make you safe.

Last edited:

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Now what I'm looking for is suggestions on good, cost effective gear, and why someone would recommend it. I haven't done alot of research on anything specific yet, as I plain old just don't know where to start. As gear is suggested I will look into it and try and decide on something

I just need a few starting points

thanks all

my basic requirements that i recommend to all my students:

Probes: minimum length 280cm with quality constuction. read reviews when purchasing.

Shovel: METAL, extendable, heat tempered and functional for the type of snowpack you are recreating in. (ie. in the pacific NW you wouldn't go for the largest shovel blade you can find because the snow is dense and any avy debris is likely heavy, requiring you to cut blocks) I like the voile T6 telepro. grip (D-handle Vs. T) is a matter of preference for me. I like one that fits in my pack. Though a D-handle is preferred by most, the T- often fits best.

Beacon: Digital with 3 or more antennas. Do your own research here. this is an item that you should understand what you are getting and why. all manufacturers make something that works well. Practice with this regularly with friends. it seems easy to use until you have to use it in a real emergency.

Backpack: something that organizes your tools efficiently. I like to keep all my survival and rescue gear inside of the pack. avalanches can be brutally powerful and even rip the clothes off your back. quick access to the tools in their own area is important. you should make sure that the size of the pack suits the amount of extras you will ride with as well (food, water, clothing, tools, etc.).

this should get you started but snowbigdeal can help refine some of your choices when you get to a short list.

Premium Features