• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

why dont we ever hear anything about 1200 turbo's

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
theres a turbo 1200 sitting at the dealership in kelowna. banner recreation.. think they are asking around 18K

I saw this on craigslist Seattle, low miles, install your own turbo!
1200 ski-doo XP - $7000 (Cashmere,wa)

2009 Ski-doo 1200
Bought new 1 year ago
162"x15"x2 1/4" track
light weight exhaust
light weight battery
ice age rails
all new XP hood and side panels
6" riser and bars
new 36" a arms and new shocks
280 miles
O.B.O
Would make a great turbo sled

Thanks David 509-264-1069

W
Nov 28, 2012
Any body that owns a 1200 doo with t.s.s set up want to compare with my powderlites motec 1200 ? Curious to see how they differ in power. Usually ride in revy once a month.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Not going to claim this is an end all be all situation, but A good friend of mine has a 1200 with a PL turbo that has NEVER run right. This sled has been to every turbo guy within 100+ miles and they've been in touch with pl more times than I could count, many of those times being told they had to buy something else each time.

#1I could never in good concience recommend PL for a turbo, but if you did... make sure you're close to someone who knows them very well. My friend has been through absolute hell and I've NEVER seen this sled run a whole day without an issue. Most guys I ride with here are boosted, and even the guys with old first gen 2 stroke sleds haven't had the issues he has.

Sorry to post such a negative post, but I've never seen a worse setup, and it's hard to see him go through this with no real assistance from PL aside from being told to buy more stuff each time.

Buy a 2 stroke.:/

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
Not going to claim this is an end all be all situation, but A good friend of mine has a 1200 with a PL turbo that has NEVER run right. This sled has been to every turbo guy within 100+ miles and they've been in touch with pl more times than I could count, many of those times being told they had to buy something else each time.

#1I could never in good concience recommend PL for a turbo, but if you did... make sure you're close to someone who knows them very well. My friend has been through absolute hell and I've NEVER seen this sled run a whole day without an issue. Most guys I ride with here are boosted, and even the guys with old first gen 2 stroke sleds haven't had the issues he has.

Sorry to post such a negative post, but I've never seen a worse setup, and it's hard to see him go through this with no real assistance from PL aside from being told to buy more stuff each time.

Ha well if the sled has an rb3 and stalls all the time I can almost guarantee you the problem. Early airboxes broke and that intercooler in the front gets real heat soaked and kills performance. I broke one of my vents out once and the intercooler was covered in snow all day, was like a different sled. Im sure dave has the rbr thing figured out and the stalling thing should be rectified. Although I have seen some brand new sleds with the rapid race stall the exact same. I have had it happen to me hundreds of times. Recently installed the boost it on my 1200 and am really impressed with it. Two strokes are lighter but I bet my boosted 4 stroked will last a bit longer than your two :) And you aren't ever going to have the torque of the 1200!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Ha well if the sled has an rb3 and stalls all the time I can almost guarantee you the problem. Early airboxes broke and that intercooler in the front gets real heat soaked and kills performance. I broke one of my vents out once and the intercooler was covered in snow all day, was like a different sled. Im sure dave has the rbr thing figured out and the stalling thing should be rectified. Although I have seen some brand new sleds with the rapid race stall the exact same. I have had it happen to me hundreds of times. Recently installed the boost it on my 1200 and am really impressed with it. Two strokes are lighter but I bet my boosted 4 stroked will last a bit longer than your two :) And you aren't ever going to have the torque of the 1200!

Two years nonstop having this thing in and out of numerous different shops... if it were as obvious as something that would be diagnosed from one non technical post... I'm even more disgusted with PL than before.

I've run turbo 2's... no way they'll last as long as a boosted 4, but the 4 stroke guys I run with wrench more than we have on our 11-14 psi sleds. I'm not a fan, but the two closest boosted 4 strokes absolutely suck, so they've put a bad taste in my mouth. One is a PL 1200, other is an Impulse Nytro. I really would love to ride a good running 1200 though... guessing it would be a blast!

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
my original pl sled wasn't the greatest had some issues that's for sure. My latest tss 1200 has been pretty much flawless and I had the rb3 on it for the first year. Not to many people know a lot about the 1200 so I imagine it could be tough. Luckily im not to far from revy and i make a few trip there a year so it makes it bit easier to deal with when you can take to the person that built and say you make it run. The boost it is just so simple and easy so tuning is a breaze. Whats your buddys problems?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
my original pl sled wasn't the greatest had some issues that's for sure. My latest tss 1200 has been pretty much flawless and I had the rb3 on it for the first year. Not to many people know a lot about the 1200 so I imagine it could be tough. Luckily im not to far from revy and i make a few trip there a year so it makes it bit easier to deal with when you can take to the person that built and say you make it run. The boost it is just so simple and easy so tuning is a breaze. Whats your buddys problems?

Honestly, too many to list... I've just been on the periphery of the situation, and just haven't seen it make it through a single day in 2 years. (Not an exaggeration) 2 stroke guys I butt in and help, but don't know enough about that machine to pretend ;) when I've ridden it, it has died after about 5 seconds at wfo. If I recall it was an issue of letting off too fast last time I rode it, time before was something else.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Backcountryislife,

Same experience. We got the PL kit, installed it and found out the MAP was nothing even close to useable. We start riding 2000+ft above their highest. It was so rich we had a fuel fire at one point and ditched it. Tons of reports of RB3 issues. Tried another project with them and got totally hosed, complete run-around. So, live & learn. I think the folks who are having success with PL are within driving range of them for the most part with a few possible exceptions. They would answer the phone, but we never really found much progress. Ended going a totally different direction. Lots of good 1200 Turbo info/discussion @ D00+alk.

It really is amazing how much progress has occurred with the Aerocharger & other kits on the 800 E-Tec's. I think that took some of the wind out of the 1200 sails for the mountain market. Plus the time & expense of building the chassis, etc..

Attached are two pics of very recent dyno runs on two similar sleds built by another outfit. The first is 325 HP on pump gas, and the second is 550hp on C16. Different sleds, different tunes, setup, etc.. Both report leaving a lot on the table for safe runs. Both sleds are well beyond your typical bolt-on "kit", and have a lot of time and investment put into them. Just thought I'd share…

MD.

BTW - 605 HP @ crank, 42 PSI, 8380 RPM… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4SqIaWvV1Y#t=18

1200-325-pump-gas.jpg 1200-550-hp.jpg

Last edited:
W
Nov 28, 2012

Would you consider meeting in revy sometime to compare performance difference ? Just curious of 2 different set ups.

W
Nov 28, 2012
Two years nonstop having this thing in and out of numerous different shops... if it were as obvious as something that would be diagnosed from one non technical post... I'm even more disgusted with PL than before.

I've run turbo 2's... no way they'll last as long as a boosted 4, but the 4 stroke guys I run with wrench more than we have on our 11-14 psi sleds. I'm not a fan, but the two closest boosted 4 strokes absolutely suck, so they've put a bad taste in my mouth. One is a PL 1200, other is an Impulse Nytro. I really would love to ride a good running 1200 though... guessing it would be a blast!

To bad you didn't live closer I'd let you take mine for a rip. I bought it off a guy claiming it ran flawless, not the case when I took it out the first time. In the end I ended up taking off the rbr and putting on a motec and have never looked back. The video powderlites posted on here in April was me in the airport chutes running 15 psi. It flat out works now. Wouldn't trade it for any other sled. Doo talk has lots info on the 1200's if you wanna take a look. Mntdoo is going to have one bad a$$ sled when he's done by looks of his build too.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
Would you consider meeting in revy sometime to compare performance difference ? Just curious of 2 different set ups.

sure but my trips aren't planned or anything when the snow is good I go type thing

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
and all the stalling issues are all map related not so much the rb3 itself. Takes lots of time to get the map right. And theres nothing more frustrating then your sled stalling all the time. Woodsie im sure the motec is great as it should be for what 5k? But I like the simplicity of boost it can instanlly change whatever I want on the hill no laptop needed. How does the knock sensor work with the motec. Has it ever went off on you?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
110% agreed. Reports coming back on the motec have been very positive for the past several seasons. There are a few other stand-alone's that are seeing success too, but motec & PSC seem to have done their homework and are showing results. Both the dyno sheets above are from motec controlled motors measured at the secondary. They didn't need to lean them out or rattle em' to death to make power.

The knock sensor allows for real-time corrections on a per-cylendar basis. Closed loop lambda, electronic boost control, data-logging, etc.. www.motec.com provides a lot of good baseline info on setup/tuning. Tons of 1200 discussion on DT; just do a quick search. Mostly low altitude drag/trail applications though.

MD.

Woodsie - my PL/RB3 would have barely made it across the meadow burping, farting & spitting fuel. The other advancement is certainly in cooling the charge. The recent air-water IC's seem to be working well from several suppliers for the mountain application. Glad you found a solution that worked!

Last edited:
W
Nov 28, 2012
and all the stalling issues are all map related not so much the rb3 itself. Takes lots of time to get the map right. And theres nothing more frustrating then your sled stalling all the time. Woodsie im sure the motec is great as it should be for what 5k? But I like the simplicity of boost it can instanlly change whatever I want on the hill no laptop needed. How does the knock sensor work with the motec. Has it ever went off on you?

I know it's pricy, but so is a new motor. Great thing about knock control is that it retards timing and showers the cylinder with fuel before it starts to detonate. Being able to run 19 psi on pump junk and never having to worry if the octane is actually what they say it is at the pumps. As for for tuning, I've never had to do any! No matter the altitude, temp, humidity, it runs perfect every time. If I want to push my limits I send my data log to the guy that sells motec and that same day he tweaks my mapping and settings, e-mails me back, takes literally 4 min to install in ECM, done deal. The service you get when someone buys a motec is very good. It data logs everything for as u ride ( limited data though) and you hook up when you get off mountain and take a look at everything. I am now putting a water to air on mine as my charge temps were through the roof. I have nothing against boost-it products they flat out work, but if you want ultimate performance and piece of mind that ur sled will never die from deto motec is the way to go and you will never regret it.

Mtndoo I see you went with a TSS water to air intercooler, curious to see what your charge temps are going to be with that system at higher boost. I'm putting on a water to air from Martin that he built for me that's good for 30 psi with charge temps at a max of 25-30 C. Hoping to compare to some yamaha's this year to see how it does against them. Let it snow let it snow!!

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
I know anytime I touch my water to air that it is cool to the touch maybe a little warm at times. With that old intercooler up front you couldn't even touch it! How many lbs you normally run woodsie and what kind of track speed you normally see? I guess should ask what size track you got as well.

W
Nov 28, 2012
I know anytime I touch my water to air that it is cool to the touch maybe a little warm at times. With that old intercooler up front you couldn't even touch it! How many lbs you normally run woodsie and what kind of track speed you normally see? I guess should ask what size track you got as well.

Most I've run is 15psi cause my charge temps were to high to go anymore safely. I've honestly never looked at my speed, usually watch where I'm going.. Lol. Just a 163 2/12 camo with ez-ryde. It seems to work good, only had it one season. I didn't want a 174 cause I do lots of tree riding with my buddies. So hopefully this year with my new water/air ill boost it up around 20psi on ave gas.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
yeah my intercooler with that old style was always crazy hot. Pack it full of snow always helped :) Yeah I always run around 16-20 on 110 pretty fun. You run a 2871?

Premium Features