• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo HO rev bogs/dies with jumps??

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
non ho cylinders would be a better choice of course for cooling wise and all, but if you tweak a cylinder your buying both... so i suppose ho can be nice for the fact of price that way

fuels wise to prevent deto, if your not already running something other than pump gas... av gas is a good way to go because its not much more expensive and puts you at 100 + its anti knock additives, i pay $1.70/L for av, race here with a deal runs me $3/L for 111 octane, But yes race fuel makes more hp as far as the fuel goes.... but it does cost a fair bit more,

and the aerocharger turbos, they are a great turbo for what they are...., so if it runs well for yeah then leave it unless your looking to make some big power... of which a bigger turbo would be needed, but im sure your well in the turbos efficiency range up to 8-10 pounds boost, beyond that it may become small

and sorry to see about your bearing there!, id give big john at sled head racing a call, good guy to deal with, will grease,true and what ever else the crank for you so you know its good when you drop it in, he does a ton of engine work too... big bores and alot more so he knows what hes doing

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Once the case was split, I found the mag side bearing pretty dry itself. Not sure where all the grease went to or what was used.

Thanks to those who shared their track speed according to the calculator.

mag
JJ_crank_mag.jpg

pto
JJ_crank_pto.jpg

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Here is a recent vid with Sled Head Racing's crank installed. Hopefully, I can ride for a while without tearing everything apart, again. I'm trying to see how fast I can keep that track spinning now with clutching/gearing setups.

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Sled sounds great. I'm about half deaf, but I didn't heat any burbles or run on, carb turbos are awesome!

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Nice, mine was originally routed up through the top of the side panel. It was too loud at an idle. Wore ear plugs constantly. In the process of a tunnel dump now.

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Ok, so isoflex grease is coming out of my pto seal after 1 ride. If you've read above, this was the cause of my last crank bearings failure. Boost is obviously pushing grease out and the bearings are no longer packed as they once were 1 ride ago. Has anyone else had this issue? Solutions?

I know Gus mentioned Seedoo Clinic's crank which I believe comes with sealed bearings. Is that the solution, sealed crank bearings for turbos, at least for those greased not oiled?

isoflex_out.jpg

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
as long as the seals are good it should not be pushing any grease out. I have a stock crank on my 08 xp with 2400 miles. I ran 7lbs the first year. turned it up to 12lbs a few times. Accidently turned it up over 20lbs for awhile. blew the base gasket, riped a power valve bellow, and tore a carb boot. It ran great for awhile. :face-icon-small-sho at the end of that year on litereally the last ride the mag side piston seized. luckily I tore it down to grease the crank. mag side crank seal was shot. grease the crank, and put all new seals in. ran it 3 years on 10lbs of boost all the time after that and didn't have any crank grease, or seal problems. still on stock crank at 2,400 miles.

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Is there a difference somehow with the way the xp p-tek motors are sealing the bearings? Big John told me the inner bearings on the mag and pto side have the inside seal still in place. So pressure is probably coming around the outside of the bearing or around the crank. Metal on metal.

I also spoke to Mark at Seedoo Clinic and he didn't think the sealed bearing would solve the issue. So maybe I'll be drilling my cases for alternate lube? I could continually pump isoflex grease in after every ride, but that'll get spendy.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Is there a difference somehow with the way the xp p-tek motors are sealing the bearings? Big John told me the inner bearings on the mag and pto side have the inside seal still in place. So pressure is probably coming around the outside of the bearing or around the crank. Metal on metal.

I also spoke to Mark at Seedoo Clinic and he didn't think the sealed bearing would solve the issue. So maybe I'll be drilling my cases for alternate lube? I could continually pump isoflex grease in after every ride, but that'll get spendy.

my own findings, which some may disagree, and this on n/a, (dont remember if i mentioned this or not?)

a 03 rev 800, crank went, pto bearing was dry..... and there was some like liquidy oily grease, which i bet was melted isoflex, it came out of the seal, so we tore it apart and sure enough... dry,

but yeah the HO motors dont have liquid cooled crank cases? the ptek or the 800r engines iwth the mono block, they are liquid cooled crank cases, so i believe that goes a long ways in longevity for the bearings, not only that but the grease wont melt if they get that warm :)

so your bearing there... it could of melted and same issue, just got hot, melted, ran dry and there she went

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
The heat may have something to do with it if that is the only difference in the cases. The grease doesn't look burnt at all and I'd expect it puddled more toward the bottom. It just seems like pressure forcing it out. The only potential fix I can think of is an 1/8" fitting to keep pumping grease in after every ride or two.

G
Apr 23, 2008
over greased,

fwiw, IF and its a big IF, as there are many turboed series 3 engines without a bit of sploog running out ,,, IF it was from boost,, then you would also have an ENDLESS supply of lubricating FUEL and OIL to keep the bearing cool and happy for yrs and yrs to come.

SO<<< ITS NOT FROM BOOST.. IT is common on many over greased new cranks to push the excess out. wipe it up and go. do not over grease it.

you cant blow a turbo up from a bad seal, you will loose power, and boost but you will not and can not go lean when your pressure is on the inside..

liquid cooled cases are what has caused many oem trail doos to fail the bottom end, the poor little frenchman who thought it up also thought he could delete the oil flow that really does the cooling of the rotating balls..

wipe it up, make damn sure that crank has zero runout and adjust your clutches if they are hot, that heat will migrate thru the crankstub.

sieze you later....LOL

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I'm running the Non-HO bottom end without the sheet metal seal protector. I've never had the seal push out or grease. I've since build a alum. protector and drill and tapped the case for safety...

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Gus, you have a good point. The grease would likely be discolored as fuel mixture would have entered too. Plus, I wouldn't be holding 9 lbs of boost which is what I have the turbo set at.

Maybe it is just over greased. It just didn't seem like it as only the bearings themselves were packed, no excess upon install. I just don't want to toast another bearing right away as it is a new rebuild. You guys are giving me some piece of mind. It's still frightening when grease is pushing out of a new pto seal and it's never happened before, non-turbo.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
The heat may have something to do with it if that is the only difference in the cases. The grease doesn't look burnt at all and I'd expect it puddled more toward the bottom. It just seems like pressure forcing it out. The only potential fix I can think of is an 1/8" fitting to keep pumping grease in after every ride or two.

yeah what i was saying with my last post was about when your crank went now, but currently with your issue im not too sure, the seals id figure should hold in the boost, especially only 10 psi... its not a ton of pressure

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Guys over on dootalk are saying the same thing, that this current grease situation looks normal. Like they were slightly over-packed maybe. And I'm confusing the two recent bearing/grease situations. Only time will tell I guess. I know it's not running lean and the clutch/engine haven't been getting any more hot than normal. Cross your fingers for me then as it sure is fun to ride now. Thanks again for everone's input.

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
I think I'll be drilling some holes in the case to grease the bearings. I only have two rides and the grease is near non-existant. Most likely a heat issue as it looks like the grease on the cage is somewhat crystallized looking.

PTO_isoflex_2rides_1_zps8c7278e1.jpg

PTO_isoflex_2rides_2_zpsdfdc00a1.jpg

what was outside of the outer PTO bearing, against the seal
PTOseal_isoflex_2rides_zpsfd309517.jpg

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
yeah something just aint right, try giving big john at sled head racing a call, perhaps he may have a idea... i know hes good with the 800's,

you shouldnt need to drill a hole to keep pumping in grease.... it should keep the grease in there and not just "dissapear" thus bearing failure

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
my theory with all the suggestions I've read is the additional heat is liquifying the grease enough that it is forced out of the bearing and into the voids between the two bearings and toward the seal. What is odd though, is the pto bearing I lost the first time on page 1 had no grease left and neither did the mag side bearings. As seen in the photos. On top of that, the mag side weirds me out because there was no grease flung into the mag chamber. It was all clean. So it did disappear.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Unless your nonstop overheating the temps in the case should be minimally warmer then running NA. There are cooling jackets all over maintaining case temps.

Premium Features