• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Struggling

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I picked up a KTM500 this summer and put a 1000 miles on it in the dirt :redface:and loved riding it!!!! But I am struggling on pulling the trigger on the LT snow bike kit, I just can't get over the $6250. I road 2 snowbikes last winter and I had a great time. I have 1 buddy that I ride that just rider snowbike and all the rest ride sled, so I think I will have to keep my sled "2013 xm 800". What are you guys doing with your sled buddy's and how in the hell are you gitting over the cost of the kit?

H
Nov 4, 2011
I didn't even test ride a snow bike before I dropped $12000 on a new bike and then almost $7000 on my track. Haven't regretted it at all even after smashing the bike up a bit on the last ride of the season.
It's only going to get better the more areas we find that are perfect for the bikes even though they go everywhere.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
I found it hard to ride with sleds, everyone in are riding group ride turbo yamahas, there climbing chutes im off exploring Newgrounds, I moved on from turbos because I got sick of working on them all the time and trying to be top dog I guess,, I just want to have fun , and in the long run even after buying the kit I thank it will be cheaper, thats what I told my wife anyways. Kill two birds with one stone summer and winter toy.she still has a proclimb m8 haha.your buddys will slowly join you , mine has just let them ride it !

Last edited:
S
Snowbike

In the same boat with Hardstart. Broke my ankle fourth ride last year 163 Pro out the door with 100miles. Same money spent as hardstart, haven't even seen a horsey on the snow. Our entire group is going that direction. Differant sport think its going to be much more fun. Seening how I love exploring:face-icon-small-hap

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I sold my sled and in no way miss it. If you sell yours, it would be easier to justify the kit expense. Just go "all in". Friends will prob change too.

P
Dec 8, 2009
" Snowbikes Suck, Tell all your Friends"
That's our motto in our group, Less people tracking up snow in all the hard to get spots that way!

If timbersled is almost sold out this season ( 750 units) and the snow not here yet. I think less chatter more get at her. Or you will be "stuck" riding your sled for another year! :face-icon-small-ton

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I still use the 2 ft rule if it snows more than 2 ft I take the sled otherwise I ride the horse! The cost of the horse if you buy used is about the same as a 1 year old sled, there is a KX 450 in the classified thats a great deal! But your already ahead as you are riding a new 500! It cost me wayyy more as I absolutly cannot ride my berg or the KX in the dirt, tried it, cant do it, so I have my 300xc for the summer, Im still trying to build up the nerve to take my 3 hunny apart and beat on it in the winter,I know the 300 would do fine as I was able to ride one, and I have convinced my self several times to do it but,,,,,,,,aghhhh!

Last edited:

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
thanks guys, it sounds like I better get on it if i'm going to ride a snowbike this winter.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I absolutly cannot ride my berg or the KX in the dirt

What? I loved my KX in the dirt and single track. It was a beast! I prefer it so much more than my new KTM it's not even funny. Granted I had the Rekluse on and it really helps to control that explosive bottom end, but still.... great bike!

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
I sold my sled and in no way miss it. If you sell yours, it would be easier to justify the kit expense. Just go "all in". Friends will prob change too.

I bought my first snowbike kit 3years ago and sold my sled 2 weeks later and havent regreted it a second. As an avid boondocker a Snowbike is unbelieveably more agile than a "bus" (ie sled). Best thing is that so few ride it here so far that the amount of areas where Snowbikes can ride and sleds cant are MANY. =)

Just do it!

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
yeah i agree sleds and snow bikes don't mix well i followed my buddies on my pro and it was hard in the super tight trees

that being said there's no way i'm selling my sled ! apples and oranges

i have a snowbike kit this year for my 450 it will be fun to own one instead of
borrowing (please don't blowup:face-icon-small-sad ) ha ha

sleds have way more of a hp,jumping,deep powder and climbing rush

bikes more adventure and exploring lines and zones untouchable before
my 2cents
let it snow !

Premium Features