• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing bearing on clutch side jack shaft.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I took out the jackshaft and see that the bearing is pressed into a collar. Just use a press to take the bearing out?

Also dont see an easy way to change the bearing in the top of the chain case that goes to the jackshaft. Its soaked in oil so I am not to worried about. You an feel minor drag on it but the ball bearings are quite large. To change that seal and bearing looking like you would need to pull the motor?

Not really looking foward to putting everything back together.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
If I remember correctly the bearing behind the secondary on the shaft has a spanner nut behind the bearing, use a shock spring adjustment wrench and spin it off. Once off you can get the bearing out. Yamaha has a specialized tool for this, I borrowed one from my dealer, made the job super easy.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
If I remember correctly the bearing behind the secondary on the shaft has a spanner nut behind the bearing, use a shock spring adjustment wrench and spin it off. Once off you can get the bearing out. Yamaha has a specialized tool for this, I borrowed one from my dealer, made the job super easy.

I have pulled the jackshaft out. No spanner nut. The only thing that stops the bearing is a "ridge" on the shaft so you dont put it on to far.

Heat the jackshaft to take it off? Then cool the shaft to put the bearing back on?

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Just used a big press and took it off.

Went to a bearing retailer and the jackshaft bearing they cant even order. Got bent at yamaha for 35$ for 1 bearing.....woot.

Now to put it all back together :face-icon-small-blu

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
There is a thread on here with all the correct part numbers for the bearings and seals. It is in the sticky.

apex jeff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
columbia falls mt
Just used a big press and took it off.

Went to a bearing retailer and the jackshaft bearing they cant even order. Got bent at yamaha for 35$ for 1 bearing.....woot.

Now to put it all back together :face-icon-small-blu

$10,000 sled $35 bearing... $48,000 Duramax $500 wheel bearing... guess it's all relative?:face-icon-small-dis

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
All bearings changed. Just used a press to get the clutch side jackshaft bearing off/on. Everything went back together fairly well. The chain case cover was its usual PITA but the rest was fine.

While I was at it I reversed my drivers and flipped my track again. Should be gtg next season.

The bearing showing the worst wear was the typical drive shaft clutch side bearing. It was still functional but it had taken a beating in 2500km or so.

Premium Features