• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Pro rmk cracked chaincase

N
Dec 23, 2016
Silver Bay, MN
I was looking over my sled the other day and found a crack on the bottom right side of the chain case and I'm about to order a new (to me) used one from a snowmobile salvage place that I like to work with.

Ive never done a chaincase swap before and I'm not really sure how it's done so if anybody could give a step by step and let me know if I need any special tools to do the job it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to this whole forum thing so feel free to let me know if I should do something differently.

Thanks in advance

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
On a 12 pro rmk the chain case is also glued in plus bolts. You will have to heat the glue up so it will let loose and it should also be glued back in. Where are you located at in MN. I think I have 1 tube of glue left.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
it's a piece of cake very straight forward, loosen the track to take pressure off the shaft. bearings will swap right over to new case , no need to replace shaft bearings unless they are bad .also no need to pull anything but the case .

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Make sure to heat up the 2 bolts on the front of the chaincase really good also... They are glued in as well and you can strip out the torx head....Don't ask me how I know!!:face-icon-small-sho

Last edited:
N
Dec 23, 2016
Silver Bay, MN
On a 12 pro rmk the chain case is also glued in plus bolts. You will have to heat the glue up so it will let loose and it should also be glued back in. Where are you located at in MN. I think I have 1 tube of glue left.

I'm up in Silver Bay so a ways from you. What kind of glue do I need? Is it just something I can get from a parts store?

I'm still in college so as much as I want to go with a belt drive I can't really afford it sadly

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
You can get the glue and gun from Napa and most Body shop stores. But seeing as you're in college and on a budget, you'd be better of finding a gun and a partial cartridge of glue to borrow. IMO. About $100

Gun, Napa # MS FU300S
Glue Cartridge 50ML , Napa # MS FU111B (should come with at least one nozzle)
Extra Mixing Nozzles, Napa # MS FU400S

If you weren't on a tight budget upgrading to at least the QD would be my recommendation. Although I won't run anything less than the C3 Belt drive.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Make sure to heat up the 2 bolts on the front of the chaincase really good also... They are glued in as well and you can strip out the torx head....Don't ask me how I know!!:face-icon-small-sho
I stripped one too, thought I had plenty of heat on there, apparently it has to glow red? TKI belt drive instructions say a heat gun will work... not based on my experience, I put a lot of heat on that thing with a propane torch... 2015 belt drive Pro...

Premium Features