• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 high idle

P
Dec 27, 2009
southern idaho
i have a 2002 800 that idles high around 3100 rpm i can tap the throttle and nothing happens (besides rev up more). the only thing that gets the idle down is if i turn on the choke for a couple seconds. i thought maybe the carbs were dirty so i cleaned them twice. i seen i had a crack in one of my reed boots so i replaced them with some i had laying around with out any cracks, and i also put on a different set of carbs that was thoroughly cleaned before i installed them and it still does it. i am stumped, i would appreciate any input Thanks

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Do you have an extension on your cable for risers? If so you might have a pinched cable somewhere, wiggle the cable and see if your rpms drop.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
Any other problems like coolant loss? Let it run at a high idle for a few then kill it and check the plugs. If they are lighter than chocolate brown or burnt paper bag then you may have an air leak in the system causing a lean codintion. Check all hoses and plastic fittings that connect to the carbs. Sounds like an air leak.

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
Any other problems like coolant loss? Let it run at a high idle for a few then kill it and check the plugs. If they are lighter than chocolate brown or burnt paper bag then you may have an air leak in the system causing a lean codintion. Check all hoses and plastic fittings that connect to the carbs. Sounds like an air leak.

X2 I THINK A AIR LEAK SOMEWHERE!!

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
If theres freeplay in cable..and no obvious air leaks...open low speed fuel screws (out) 1/2 turn..set idle to 1600-1700 rpm when warm...BJ

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
High Idle

If no air leak you can bump the pilot jets up to 20

Premium Features