• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

am i in trouble with my oil?

tyb57

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2010
MN/WI
I bought a new assault 155 about a month ago. I had to leave for work for 2 weeks and told my brother if we got snow, live in WI, that he could ride the sled. Just got home for christmas and noticed that the oil res was completly full and asked him if he had to fill it at all since he had been riding it. He said it was only half full from dealer, he ran it down to about a 1/4 full then filled it with redline oil. I know that you are not supposed to mix oils, but dont know how serious this is. I did run it for about an hour or two before noticing this and then havent rode it since. Think i need to drain the oil out and go back to straight polaris oil? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
SLP recommends using Redline oil as it's a high quality product, so what your brother did was Ok. Your dealer must of cheaped out on you cause it should of been full. If you want drive it till it's just about empty them drain leftover and put polaris oil and don't tell them what happened.

D

detz1000

Dec 1, 2008
MN
Its not going to hurt anything if your worried tip sled and get it out and fill with Polaris. Good idea anyways just in case it would have a warranty issue they couldnt blame it on the oil

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Drain it if your that concerned and refill it with Polaris oil. I'm not running anything but Polaris oil so warranty will not be an issue cause I ran different oil. I think they will start to be sticky on their warranty as they don't need to lose more money on repairs . Enjoy that sled it really rips.:face-icon-small-hap

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
There simply aren't any issues with mixing today's oils. This has been tested to death.

Unless Polaris changed the provisions of their warranties; as long as the oil you're running is TCW3 your warranty is intact. Good luck

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
i've been riding two strokes for longer than i'm willing to admit, as long as your not mixing synthetic with non synthetic you'll have no problem. know when i was younger i'd mix anything i could get my hands to get out and ride, have never had a oil related failure, ever...

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
hey dave
you running the racing oil or regular?
the racing is mucho bucks:face-icon-small-sho

Dec 15, 2008
It is illegal for Polaris to force you to run their oil even for warranty purposes. All they can do is suggest it.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
I bought a new assault 155 about a month ago. I had to leave for work for 2 weeks and told my brother if we got snow, live in WI, that he could ride the sled. Just got home for christmas and noticed that the oil res was completly full and asked him if he had to fill it at all since he had been riding it. He said it was only half full from dealer, he ran it down to about a 1/4 full then filled it with redline oil. I know that you are not supposed to mix oils, but dont know how serious this is. I did run it for about an hour or two before noticing this and then havent rode it since. Think i need to drain the oil out and go back to straight polaris oil? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Buy your brother a beer - did exactly what I did. And, as was mentioned, there is NO problem with mixing syns with non syns as LONG as they're both rated TCW3!

Have FUN!

G MAN

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
i run polaris oil cause i got a free case of the gold stuff when i bought the sled, i know a lot of people run the redline and amsoil and have nothing but good luck with them, not sure about the cheaper ones but you got a good one in there.

tyb57

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2010
MN/WI
Thanks for all the feedback. I have been running redline oil for a long time. Always got it from wahl brothers when I used to race pro champ 440 ice ovals, have never lost an engine since I have been running it for about ten years. I just got nervous because this is this first stock non race sled i have ever owned and am new to the whole warranty game. This is also the fist mountain sled Ive eve owned and am just blown away by how easy it is to do some realy cool stuff on it. Even thinking about trying a hillclimb event somtime this winter. Absolutly love this thing!!!:face-icon-small-hap

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I just don't see how Polaris can make you run their oil. I think it is all marketing for their products and as someone else said...as long as you have the right grade you should be good.

This is the same as Microsoft Windows making you use their browser. How well did that hold up?

Premium Features