• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM top end bog??

K
Nov 26, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
My sled is sputtering at around 7200-7500 when WOT. Anyone know what might cause this? I put a can on the sled before the season started so I thought it may have been the can. I put the stock can back on and it's still sputtering. Also, the sled didn't get any ride time last season due to the low snow pack. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Your power valves are stuck/not opening. Put it on a stand (safely), remove the plastic cover and see if they open, that RPM you mentioned is when they are supposed to open.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Yea, x2 on the power/rave valves. With the cover off the valve should be in the center with engine off. When it starts it should draw in/close. With increased rpm moves to center and should be full open/up 7600 rpm and above. Generally rave valves sticking turn the cel on and produce a code if scanned.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Good post, I forgot how they worked exactly, we had one last year here that was a PAIN. They looked like they were working ok, the sled kept coming back.
A different tech put it on the computer and resynchronized the valves, that fixed it. There are settings that must be set for open, closed, and halfway.

K
Nov 26, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
I took the sled to the dealer. They plugged it in and it was showing no codes. I noticed the bog is actually at about 6-6500 rpms up through 7000. Sometimes the sled backfires while sputtering which makes me believe it's a fuel issue. I drained the tank and put fresh gas in and it still does it. I saw another post where a 15 XM was doing something similar and it turned out to be a fuel pump issue. Any one have any suggestions or ideas of what to look for?

Premium Features