• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

vibration under load

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Ok...so 2013 153" stock with only 750 miles, just swapped from the 2.25 to the 2.6 ~100 miles ago. Under heavy load, in this wet heavy snow I get a gnarly vibration that shakes the whole sled.

Thought my track was ratcheting and loose, tightened it up to about 1" slack just hanging...still have the vibration. Also just grenaded my first belt right after switching to the 2.6. Just had the chaincase open to swap tracks...everything was good, oil looks good through the sightglass. Looked over all the wheels, look good. Rail end caps look good.

Could this wet snow just be packing the suspension full and making the track ratchet? Track too tight making something jump? Belt chatter? I really doubt its the chain but anything is possible...

ideas?

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Today I checked the bolts holding the helix on...good and tight. The two cap screws that hold the plastic blocks were loose though. Also the rollers are not contacting the ramps until the clutch runs...is that normal?

Went through the suspension and made sure everything was tight. Looks like the loop guards on the front arm have had some pretty good contact with the track. Maybe more than normal? Could the knobs on the track be bumping off those when I pack it full of heavy wet snow? Limiter straps on 2nd hole...

Also checked bolts holding the brake caliper bearing on, pulled reverser and watched chain through the hole as I turned the secondary...couldn't see any signs of damage.

Really can't see any signs of things contacting/rubbing anywhere unusual. Track alignment is ok, maybe not perfect, but should be close enough.

Now what?

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Yep, added the anti-stab when I put the 2.6 on. Those wheels wobble more than I'd like but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Would the track being to tight cause anything like this for some reason?

G

Get.Slicked

Aug 7, 2009
15 wide chain and gear? Check your chain. A stretched link will leave an artifact on the tensioner shoe/pad.

Last edited:

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Just had the chaincase open ~100 miles ago, was all good. Hate to crack into it again. Any way to open it up without losing all the oil and having to remove the engine oil tank?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
This a one time deal or has it done this multiple rides? Wondering if you had ice chunk in tunnel.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Check what's been disturbed...

I've had a jackshaft bearing cause vibration under load - look for a powder like residue from the bearing seals on the PTO side. Failing that, it is possible that the locking collar on the mag side isn't seated... look at what was disturbed during the track swap, and look at inside of tunnel to see if there is signs of the track rubbing.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
This a one time deal or has it done this multiple rides? Wondering if you had ice chunk in tunnel.

Multiples, but always in super heavy wet packy snow. I wondered this also...

I've had a jackshaft bearing cause vibration under load - look for a powder like residue from the bearing seals on the PTO side. Failing that, it is possible that the locking collar on the mag side isn't seated... look at what was disturbed during the track swap, and look at inside of tunnel to see if there is signs of the track rubbing.

I looked that bearing over the other day when I had the secondary off, looked all good. Didn't check mag side. Did a thorough looking at under the tunnel, couldn't see anything.

Rode ~80 to 90 miles since the last time, no vibration. But definitely different snow conditions. Wasn't loading it nearly as hard, although we rode some pretty AWESOME pow today and didn't experience it.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
That tri hub delaminating will do that. Had one go on my 12 wouldn't do it in the powder but on hardpack or setup snow it was awful.

Prodealer24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
My buddy lost the bearing on his right idler wheel on his 2012 turbo possible urs could have done that

S
Dec 13, 2011
I went from 2.6 track to 2.25 track, the 2.6 definatley vibrates more. My 2.6 track at 1600 miles stretched the track belting which caused it to REALLY vibrate. Couldnt go over 40 mph at end of ride. I could actually see where the drives wore rubber off the internal drive lugs on 3 rows, rest of track fine.

D
Sep 29, 2013
I have a 13 cat that does maybe still does it but my rollers went on my primary then shortly after the chain case grenadef still in the process of rebuilding the case so just a heads up

Premium Features