• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Tracker 2 Avalanche Beacon - Black Friday Price

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
SBD, thinking about pulling the trigger on 2 airbags during your blackfriday sale. Can you provide some info on the chief differences between the BCA float 18 at $599, float 30 at 699 and the AviVest - Avalanche Airbag Vest at $559
Maybe touch on the quality, misfire, return rates, etc of each.
Thought I would post this here for everyone to view or if there is another existing thread you could refer me to that will work also.
Thanks

..SnowBigDeal is having their Thanksgiving sale right now and they have ABS bags that are usually over $1000 marked down to $750 and $850. BCA bags are down around $600-$650. No reason not to get one if you ride the mountains!

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Is there a discount on the base systems for the vario? and also my other question is there away to buy a separate attachment of the snowmobile designed pack with the shovel mount on the outside.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
SBD, thinking about pulling the trigger on 2 airbags during your blackfriday sale. Can you provide some info on the chief differences between the BCA float 18 at $599, float 30 at 699 and the AviVest - Avalanche Airbag Vest at $559
Maybe touch on the quality, misfire, return rates, etc of each.
Thought I would post this here for everyone to view or if there is another existing thread you could refer me to that will work also.
Thanks

..SnowBigDeal is having their Thanksgiving sale right now and they have ABS bags that are usually over $1000 marked down to $750 and $850. BCA bags are down around $600-$650. No reason not to get one if you ride the mountains!

The difference between the float 30 vs the Float 18 is simply storage space and the size of the pack. The size of the airbag is the same in each pack, but the storage capacity of the packs vary. The float 18 has a single compartment for storage, and is a lower profile pack. Whereas the float 30 has two compartments for storage and can fit quite a bit more inside the pack than the 18.
The AviVest is a completely different type of pack. The AviVest has the same size airbag as the BCA float 18 & 30; however, it is not a backpack. The weight of the pack/vest is distributed across your body differently because it is a vest instead of a backpack. The storage capacity of the AviVest is about 20L.
Both the AviVest and the BCA use compressed air.
The quality of both packs is great. In my opinion, BCA has made some HUGE improvements this year. The pull-handle is much better than in previous years and is easier to pull than in the past. Both the AviVest and the BCA Float packs are relatively new, so there aren't a ton of numbers of people saved with the packs, but there are several instances.

Hopefully that helps answer your questions.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Is there a discount on the base systems for the vario? and also my other question is there away to buy a separate attachment of the snowmobile designed pack with the shovel mount on the outside.

Yes, we have a discount on the pre-2011/2012 Vario base systems posted on our website: http://www.snowbigdeal.com/avalanche-safety-gear/avalanche-airbags/abs-airbags.html

If you want to buy just the vario attachments, you can find them at the following link:
http://www.snowbigdeal.com/abs-vario-zip-on-attachment.html

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can you talk a little bit about the differences between the BCA offerings and the ABS?

Is this a get what you pay for situation?

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Can you talk a little bit about the differences between the BCA offerings and the ABS?

Is this a get what you pay for situation?

Here are a couple of the main differences to note:
The BCA uses compressed air, and is refillable at a scuba shop or a paintball shop. Whereas the ABS uses compressed nitrogen, which needs to be refilled by ABS.
The ABS has a dual airbag system with airbag volume of 170Liters. Whereas the BCA is a single airbag, which is 150Liters.

Previous to this year, I wasn't a huge fan of the BCA packs; namely because of the handle and the difficulty of deploying the pack. HOWEVER, BCA made some GREAT changes to their packs this year and the packs are easier to deploy and the handle is a much better handle.

Overall, ABS has definitely been around the longest and has a great air bag deployment system. However, BCA has made some great changes this year and their packs are not sub-par in any way. I personally think the backpack that fits your storage needs the best and is the most comfortable to you is the one you should ride with. The day you decide to leave your airbag at home because it isn't comfortable or doesn't fit your needs when riding is the day that you'll wish you hadn't left it at home.

Hope that helps.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
You have been very helpful, one more question on storage capacity. I see several guys are selling there BCA 30 to buy the BCA 18, they are saying they don't need that amount of storage.
I thing I am interested in the 18 if it will hold a shovel and handle, probe, average size water bottle, a medium size lunch and maybe a sweatshirt. Thats about all I ever carry in a backpack. Will an 18 pack this or are would you recommended a 30? I am 5'9, 200lbs but working my way down to 175 if that somehow enters into the picture.
Thanks in advance.

Premium Features