• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any G4 Doo owners ride the Alpha 1

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i think the quick drive is great, 2.6s are the sidehill kings, just think the weight comparison should not be with the old 800 axys. theres just as many times where not making the climb when it opens up will screw you as not holding the line perfectly through the trees in my world

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You would be surprised how much of an upgrade it is to gear down a Quickdrive Polaris with a TKi belt drive kit. Smoother and way less drag, not to mention the gear down doubles clutch belt life.

I may do one on my Cat, I loved it on the Pro and Axys. I am not even considering Polaris. That is a one season throw away sled. I can't play at that level comfortably, much less throw money at mods for it.

With the Cat I can comfortably improve it and ride it 3-4 years before it needs replacing. Since I hardly rode it this year I will try for two more seasons. I would never try that on a Polaris, not as they are today. I think buying an 850 is a monumental risk given Polaris' history. Good Luck with it.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I may do one on my Cat, I loved it on the Pro and Axys. I am not even considering Polaris. That is a one season throw away sled. I can't play at that level comfortably, much less throw money at mods for it.

With the Cat I can comfortably improve it and ride it 3-4 years before it needs replacing. Since I hardly rode it this year I will try for two more seasons. I would never try that on a Polaris, not as they are today. I think buying an 850 is a monumental risk given Polaris' history. Good Luck with it.

I would have said the new Polaris engines, as of 2016 in the Axys really did away with your complaint but my brothers just lost the top end at 700 miles. Not sure how common that is because I see a lot of posts with high mileage Axys engines but I'm also seeing some "rebuilt engine" comments in the used ads. The new 850 talk from Poo is "durability", "durability", "durability". I hope they are because a skinny Axys is an amazing sled. A skinny Axys with close to 170 hp that would run 4000 miles might even be worth 13 grand.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Seems every motor they have built since 2000 was supposed to be "better" but none have been. I gave up on Poo because at 800 miles you're thinking "should I rebuild the thing or sell it and buy new." Where on Cat at the same miles you're thinking "thing is good and broke in now!" Loved the chassis but had 0 faith in the engine. I wouldn't touch a first year Poo engine, no matter how many glossy cut away pics mountainhorse posts ;)

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I would have said the new Polaris engines, as of 2016 in the Axys really did away with your complaint but my brothers just lost the top end at 700 miles. Not sure how common that is because I see a lot of posts with high mileage Axys engines but I'm also seeing some "rebuilt engine" comments in the used ads. The new 850 talk from Poo is "durability", "durability", "durability". I hope they are because a skinny Axys is an amazing sled. A skinny Axys with close to 170 hp that would run 4000 miles might even be worth 13 grand.

My Axys motor didn't last for chit. I completely agree with the above though. IF Polaris can build a durable sled, I would consider coming back. The problem is, they have all pretty much been crap for over a decade now. The advertising isn't nearly enough to get me to bite, not after being burned a couple of times. the others are WAY too close these days for durability to be an issue, it is a deal breaker for me.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Seems every motor they have built since 2000 was supposed to be "better" but none have been. I gave up on Poo because at 800 miles you're thinking "should I rebuild the thing or sell it and buy new." Where on Cat at the same miles you're thinking "thing is good and broke in now!" Loved the chassis but had 0 faith in the engine. I wouldn't touch a first year Poo engine, no matter how many glossy cut away pics mountainhorse posts ;)

It's not all rainbows and unicorns in the Cat camp either, the only sleds I have ever had a break down on are Cat. My 2012 left me stranded and my 2014 had to be towed out twice. All brands break down, especially if you get a lemon from a manufacturer.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Do all sleds break? Yes. I've towed or had towed all 4 brands, I only count Yami up to the release of their last 2 stroke ;) I'm talking confidence in the longevity of the chassis and/or motor, for which I have little for Poo. Loved my 11 and 15 Pro's but had zero confidence in either before they even hit the 1000 mile mark. Every time we'd hit the trees I'd wonder if this is the time it goes boom and were gonna have to break it down and bring it out in pieces. My 16 Cat has 853 miles on it and would not hesitate to take it miles off trail. Never had to tow either of my Pro's, but due to lack of confidence sold both at 1000 miles.

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Do all sleds break? Yes. I've towed or had towed all 4 brands, I only count Yami up to the release of their last 2 stroke ;) I'm talking confidence in the longevity of the chassis and/or motor, for which I have little for Poo. Loved my 11 and 15 Pro's but had zero confidence in either before they even hit the 1000 mile mark. Every time we'd hit the trees I'd wonder if this is the time it goes boom and were gonna have to break it down and bring it out in pieces. My 16 Cat has 853 miles on it and would not hesitate to take it miles off trail. Never had to tow either of my Pro's, but due to lack of confidence sold both at 1000 miles.

Sounds like a personal issue that resulted in you losing out on some good riding.

Wonder what the actual ratio of PRO RMK to 2011 + cats is?? Around here, conservatively.... 3 to 1. That’s not counting ski doo. Just Polaris to cat. And to date.... I’ve still only pulled cats out, Never for a motor, just chain case issues. But have never seen a Pro RMK with a tow rope attached unless it was unridable from tree/rock damage.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Here's one. 4th ride on a 2013, had less than 200 miles. Busted mag side. All sleds break, just some more than others.

100_1026 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Sounds like a personal issue that resulted in you losing out on some good riding.

Wonder what the actual ratio of PRO RMK to 2011 + cats is?? Around here, conservatively.... 3 to 1. That’s not counting ski doo. Just Polaris to cat. And to date.... I’ve still only pulled cats out, Never for a motor, just chain case issues. But have never seen a Pro RMK with a tow rope attached unless it was unridable from tree/rock damage.

I didn't bother towing my POS Polaris out, I just rode it ten miles on one cylinder... Then when the primary sacked out, I rode it out in high gear. Both times it should have been towed, just didn't bother because I was over it. Trying to place Polaris engine quality on par with the others is hilarious. It is a one season throw away sled. Only grandma could get more than 1000 miles out of one of those.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The axys 800 is more reliable than past poos. My 09 D8 blew 3 times in 1500 mi. My 12 Pro blew 2 times in 1100 mi. My axys 1 time in 1500 mi.

Since cat changed clutching in 16 I only had 1 primary roller freeze at 1100mi. 12, 14, 15, 16, 18 cat 800 motors 4700 combined mi, no motor failures. 10 m8 2 engines blow in 2800 mi. All ridden hard. Clutching was cats downfall before they put Team in.

So from personal experience Ive had a lot better track record on Cat motors.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I’m surprised at looking through the classifieds how many axys sleds have new motors. I have 2 15’ pros, 16’ axys stock and a 17 axys BD turbo. Lost cranks on one axys and one pro this year. I’ve owned every cat since 2012-18, turbos and big bores, four stroke and 2-stroke, probably at least ten cats in those years. Never towed one out. I love how my axys turbo performs, but as soon as my alpha gets here the axys will be gone. Way to too many problems with those Polaris sleds.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Cat motors

The last motor issue I had was a burnt piston in my 2008 M1000 on nitrous.
Since then. 2 turbo 2 strokes and 4 stock 2 stroke sleds with no motor issue what so ever. Sold my 2009 turbo to a friend and he's still riding it. Changed one pipe temp sensor on my 2015 M800.
I still own 5 of the 6 sleds I've mentioned above.

My 2012 M1100T had to have the whole drive train upgraded to handle 300hp.

The Poo and Doo guys I ride with can't say the same thing.
They've been on the end of a rope lots. Either by a sled or a helicopter!!!

So needless to say I've been more than happy with my cat sleds with 2 stroke engines!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The axys 800 is more reliable than past poos. My 09 D8 blew 3 times in 1500 mi. My 12 Pro blew 2 times in 1100 mi. My axys 1 time in 1500 mi.

Since cat changed clutching in 16 I only had 1 primary roller freeze at 1100mi. 12, 14, 15, 16, 18 cat 800 motors 4700 combined mi, no motor failures. 10 m8 2 engines blow in 2800 mi. All ridden hard. Clutching was cats downfall before they put Team in.

So from personal experience Ive had a lot better track record on Cat motors.
Funny though... it all depends. I have over 5,000 miles on Polaris’ since 2012 and the group I ride with consists of almost all Poo, I don’t ever remember towing one out. Had one (2011) with low compression that ended up needing a top end... I bet my riding group has owned around 50 of them since the Pro came out.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I’ve only towed out 5 sleds. 4 cats and one poo. The cats were clutch and engine problems. With that being said, they were all modded sleds so I don’t really blame them on cat. We’ve had pretty good success with all brands but skidoo has been the best so far. I don’t think it matters what brand you ride, eventually it will be your turn to tow, or be towed.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Funny though... it all depends. I have over 5,000 miles on Polaris’ since 2012 and the group I ride with consists of almost all Poo, I don’t ever remember towing one out. Had one (2011) with low compression that ended up needing a top end... I bet my riding group has owned around 50 of them since the Pro came out.

I can attest to this. Ive always wanted to hate them, but in all reality we tow out cats all of the time and its usually a polaris doing the pulling.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I can attest to this. Ive always wanted to hate them, but in all reality we tow out cats all of the time and its usually a polaris doing the pulling.

Upgraded rear bumpers? :face-icon-small-sho

All you have to do is look at the forums and see which sections have the most blown engine threads and which have hardly any. Cat 800 motors have always been the best, don't think any SANE person would try to argue that.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Way off subject now aren't we?
I will add to this.
Well over 16,000 miles on all brands.
I have seized 2 ski-doos (lost oil pump on 1, went down a jet too small on the other @ 7,000 miles!)
Lost 1 crank on Polaris 800 @5,200 miles
Changed spark plugs on one cat at 2,600 miles, new pistons at 4,000 miles before i sold it just so it was fresh for the new owner.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
These forums are meaningless in the whole picture. It is just who is on here and what they have been around. I know more people who aren't on here than are. I've seen more doo or cat issues than anything else. It is all what you are around. The cat was always something besides motor other than 1 ctec 600. The skidoo was more motors. 1 Polaris pro that clutch broke in half and 1 friend who bought my 12 pro that went at about 2500 miles. I don't worry about any of them anymore. Get lucky or you don't. Same with trucks. The big thing is if it gets fixed in a timely fashion. Wouldn't scare me one bit to get a 850 poo.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Our group used to be basically all polaris, now it's predominantly cat due to everyone getting sick of rebuilding poo engines. As it stands today the lowest mile cat engine in our fleet is my '14 at 2700+ miles with multiple pushing 5k miles and none of them ever being opened up. We haven't had much snow this year to really push things, but last season we towed out 4 blown up pros. Sure there might be a few poo's that hit high mileage, but if you think they're in the same ball park as cat for engine reliability you've had your head in the sand.

Premium Features