• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

twisted turbo B.O.V. question

R
May 2, 2010
I have a 2010 hcr with a twisted turbo kit. the blow off valve is open when the sled is at idle, is this normal?. if not, is it adjustable and how to do it? it is not stuck open, it moves a bit with the throttle rpm. the vacuum line attached to the top has very little vacuum at idle. any help would be appreciated...Does anyone have a phone # to contact Shain Stanger?

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
I have a 2010 hcr with a twisted turbo kit. the blow off valve is open when the sled is at idle, is this normal?. if not, is it adjustable and how to do it? it is not stuck open, it moves a bit with the throttle rpm. the vacuum line attached to the top has very little vacuum at idle. any help would be appreciated...Does anyone have a phone # to contact Shain Stanger?

BOV will be open at idle and remain open until you start making boost. The basic BOV that came with his kits was not adjustable; however, I did improve on it by messing with the spring. An adjustable BOV is the way to go in my opinion, as it allows you to really fine tune the BOV's actions to suit your desires and sled. There is a fine line between vacuum and boost and that's what you're working with with regard to fine tuning the BOV.

As for Shain, I have no idea if he is among the living or not. His
WEB site has been non operational for a long time. The numbers I have in my phone for him are 801-668-6344 or 801-781-7408 these are from a few years back so they may be no good now.

Last edited:
R
Sep 12, 2010
Shains alive last I heard hes religious as for the valve you can play with the spring if you know what you are doing. One thing to check is the disk on the shaft put some locktight on the threads its no fun when it spins off. Also monitor the bladder on the valve if you catch it before tears badly you'll save some headaches. If you take the valve apart be sure not to strip the threads, after I did I replaced all the screws with longer ones and locking nuts. The only lock nuts I could find for some wierd metric thread turned out to be a husquvarna part. The valve should be open at idol.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada

If memory serves, I believe I read a post a few years back, where Shain recommended that blowoff valve be adjusted to be open or almost open at an idle. Not saying I agree with that, but I suspect that might be a close to normal condition for one of his kits. Someone else may be able to verify.

He is definitely still walking around. I saw him at the SLC snow show this season. I think he may be working in Idaho?

HIDY

Premium Member
Sep 5, 2005
WASHINGTON
open bov at idle keeps the turbo spinning faster because the motor cant us all the air the turbo is making at idle.

Premium Features