• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about a King Cat...

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
King Cat

I sold my thundercat Mod 3yrs ago and went to the King Cat. You will love the weight-torque difference. I sold my KK last year to buy the M8. I had to add a pipe,Y-pipe, can,etc just to get close and I'm not sure I am there yet.
Don't get me wrong I love the new sled But the KK was a cool sled.
My riding buddies kept theirs I traded mine in because of lack of storage
Mine was 05 efi no speedo I still got the speedo if anybody wants to buy one. I still like going for a rip on one of the old KKs now and again
I liked the 05 just fine EFI is a MUST Have.no reason not to have it.
Good luck

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
All this is good stuff. Thanks for the info. I was thinking there would be a crap load of parts out there in case I bash stuff up. Plus, being my first time in the mountains, I'm sure I'll bash stuff up re-learning to ride in the steep and deep. I know there's a Cat dealer in South Fork, Co so that's a plus.

Thanks for the tip on the paddles. I will probably ride my shortie Thundercat this year in NY but get rid of it at the end of the trip and put the money toward a KK. As some of you mentioned, I was concerned about the loss in power. I know that no matter what I get, I'm taking a step down in HP (I'm around 180 with the Tcat now) unless I buy a good modded KK. However, it looks like I'm on the right track buying a KK from what you've all said. I was considering some Poo 9 hundies but after reading all the problems, I don't want to deal with it. When you drive 16 hours one way to ride the pow, you just want to ride and not worry about wrenching too much or breaking a crank for that matter!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
The 16" wide camo extreme was a great MOD on these sleds. If you're gonna be doing very much trail riding at all, and if you like to jump/ditch bang, you may be more interested in a 151" 1m 900, those rails will take quite a bit more abuse than the 162" rails, plus, if you put a 16" track under it, the 151" has almost as much surface area as the 162? 15".

I think you would be happier with the 151" track, especially coming off of a short track sled. It takes some getting used to to handle the bigger tracks, and the 151" will get you just about everywhere you want to, and it's more fun to have to "work" your sled, rather than just marching up to the peaks. For boondocking, the 162" in the older chassis is not quite as nimble as the 151", it is improved in the M chassis, but it doesn't turn as tight in the 1m's.

Just my .02, you'll be happy with it, they are great sleds for the money

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Great sled. I ride with a couple fella's running the dinosaur that haven't seen any reason to update. It's a reliable sled, cheap, lots of parts available. Keep your money in your pocket and run a king, you won't be disappointed. You can probably find a mildly modded king for $6,000 or less. Just turn the Attack 20 around and ride.

Premium Features