• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heavy vibration / rubbing when track fully compresses

B
Jul 28, 2011
2018 mountain cat 162

When running through cross ditches with any speed or anything that completely compresses the track I get pretty harsh vibration / rubbing of what feels Like the track in the tunnel

I have done the updated (shorter) limiter strap bolts and flipped them around to bolt from the front to the rear but it didn't seem to help.

Anyone else noticing this or figured out what it is?

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Also check to make sure the alignment bolts are tight and that the track is aligned correctly. I had the same issue on a 15 and fixed it by this method. Later it happened again and apparently one of the adjuster bolts came loose so I tightened it again and now it seems fine. Hope this helps.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
At full compression the front rear suspension arm used to get rubbed, check for rub marks on the top side of the arm a few inches back from the mounting bolt.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
mine does that too, other brands i ride with say same thing tho.
ive wondered if it was that plastic wheel they put on top of the front arm. it doesnt spin too nicely, seems like it would chatter if spun fast. i noticed it got better after adding a little air to the FTS.

B
Jul 28, 2011
Well, there is defineatley lots of rub marks in the back 12” of the tunnel (sides and top), but the track tension is good, set to 1.8”@20lb (tight if anything), and the alignment is bang on. I don’t see any marks on the shocks.

Any other suggestions? It appears to be beating up the sides of my track pretty good. A fair bit of nylon showing.

64D09B74-0445-4185-964C-BD99B5494321.jpg 648A4ADF-E738-4168-8035-019852A51EC3.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
That doesnt seem right that the track is rubbing there... and that seems super loose. I realize cat runs their tracks a little looser but I believe poo spec is 10lbs and like 3/8” sag.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Well, there is defineatley lots of rub marks in the back 12” of the tunnel (sides and top), but the track tension is good, set to 1.8”@20lb (tight if anything), and the alignment is bang on. I don’t see any marks on the shocks.

Any other suggestions? It appears to be beating up the sides of my track pretty good. A fair bit of nylon showing.

Nylon is normal, take torch and burn them off, after about 800 miles they stop. Pull rear shock and have it checked

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
The left side driver is keeping my track tight to the chain case side. The track does rub the hyfax and is loud. That being said, keeping the rear the rails aligned on the rear of the track equally is no easy task and is causing a rubbing issue when the track is loose.

Chain case side driver is center of the clips. The clutch side driver is tight to the inside of the track.

Track sits about 1/4" from the chain case and 3/4" from the brake rotor side.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
The left side driver is keeping my track tight to the chain case side. The track does rub the hyfax and is loud. That being said, keeping the rear the rails aligned on the rear of the track equally is no easy task and is causing a rubbing issue when the track is loose.

Chain case side driver is center of the clips. The clutch side driver is tight to the inside of the track.

Track sits about 1/4" from the chain case and 3/4" from the brake rotor side.

Sounds like you might have some bent parts, I would pull the skid and measure it all out, sounds like its tweaked somewhere.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Drivers.

I had to move one of the track drivers a little on the track drive shaft to get the track in the middle of the tunnel

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What are those bolts sticking down through the top of your tunnel? If your track is rubbing on full compression I bet it's your track lugs catching those.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^what he said, and ya, the rubbing in back does not look normal. but the track off to one side a little up front is, not sure why, mines like that too tho.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Need more air in the rear shock.
Suspension is compressing all the way, an evol chamber would be nice on that shock so u could run a lighter pressure....
The Alpha is going to be much worse with the big 10" wheels back there.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
^what he said, and ya, the rubbing in back does not look normal. but the track off to one side a little up front is, not sure why, mines like that too tho.
Ya, mines been crooked since day one. No problems tho.
I think it has to do with the mounting location of the driveshaft, not a true 90° to the tunnel

B
Jul 28, 2011
What are those bolts sticking down through the top of your tunnel? If your track is rubbing on full compression I bet it's your track lugs catching those.

The bolts strap a linq gas can down. I originally thought they were an issue, but they are not. Same with and without. Can see by where the rubbing is also. I did note that I can pull the suspension linkage back and forth in the skid 1 or 2 mm. All bolts are tight. Not sure if this is Normal. Anyone else notice this?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Have you tried dumping all the air out of your rear track shock and running the suspension thru it’s range of motion all the way to the bottom? You should be able to see where it’s rubbing. I had a rear shock with something in the Schrader valve that lost air on a ride. It def rubbed when the suspension was fully collapsed.

Premium Features