• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do it yourself: turbo install???????

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
How difficult is it really???? I've never done one, never even seen one!! Although I am pretty mechanically inclined, and kinda anal about my stuff.. Thinking of doing a BD kit on the Nytro, what should I look out for, or take extra time on???

P
Jul 22, 2008
I have a few questions

Sorry i dont know the answer to your question but i have a few for you. I am thinking about buying an 08 nitro or a 08 m8 and i keep getting several different opininons. I do mostly boondocking, trees and some small hill climbs.
When do you feel like your sled in under powered and in need of a turbo?
I tried to find a link to the BD turbo you spoke of but could not do you know of one?
Thanks any info would be great.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Sorry i dont know the answer to your question but i have a few for you. I am thinking about buying an 08 nitro or a 08 m8 and i keep getting several different opininons. I do mostly boondocking, trees and some small hill climbs.
When do you feel like your sled in under powered and in need of a turbo?
I tried to find a link to the BD turbo you spoke of but could not do you know of one?
Thanks any info would be great.

Here's boondockers website http://www.boondockers.com I also own a nytro it makes great power stock, the turbo just increases the grin factor. Ive spent alot of time on a m8 also, its a great sled too but at the end of the day i bought a nytro. Hope this helps.

Impuse makes a great midmount kit for the nytro as well. www.impulseturbo.com

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
If you are buying a turbo do not overlook Powderlites or MCX. The only thing that would be a little more difficult is if you were doing a headshim. Then you have to know what you are doing. JMO.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
How difficult is it really???? I've never done one, never even seen one!! Although I am pretty mechanically inclined, and kinda anal about my stuff.. Thinking of doing a BD kit on the Nytro, what should I look out for, or take extra time on???

I did a turbo on my apex and helped out a bit on my buddys Nitro. There not bad to do. Your better off imo doing it your self, you will know your every bolt in you sled. If you have it built you will know less than you do now and be out a few bucks for the install.Watch the vid and go from there. The only thing i had done by a shop was the head shim and the only thing that went wrong.... was the head shim. lol Stuff happens, the timing was out a tooth.I laugh now, but my kids heard some bad words that day.

G
Jan 24, 2008
no the turbo install is not that bad but you better understand the head stuff pretty goo if you do not take thecam shaft cabs off properly you could break them and you have to replace the hole as them being line bored for that specific head and that will run you about $1800 but that my 2 cents

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I had never installed a turbo kit before, but I went ahead and installed my own last fall. The most intense part is the headshim, I had the Yamaha manuel and support from Paul at Impulse over the phone and it was not too bad. I even changed the timing some on the cam gears with what Impulse recomends, as long as you torque the cam caps back on in the order the manuel states, torque the head on in the order the manuel states, torque everything else to spec, check the valves with a feeler guage everything will go smooth. I took lots of pics of the timing tick marks on the cams and the crank just to have a reference to look back to. I was not going to install a headshim intially but when I got everything tore down I decided to do it any way, I almost never run pump gas but having the option is pretty nice. The turbo kit part was easy, you just want to have plenty of time keep the wiring and boost lines looking neat. In the end I am glad I installed my own, if I ever have problem it is nice to be able to work on my own sled.

J
Sep 5, 2001
Here's boondockers website http://www.boondockers.com I also own a nytro it makes great power stock, the turbo just increases the grin factor. Ive spent alot of time on a m8 also, its a great sled too but at the end of the day i bought a nytro. Hope this helps.

Impuse makes a great midmount kit for the nytro as well. www.impulseturbo.com

I would stay away from Boondocker, there are better kits with better customer service, like Impulse or powderlites.

W
Nov 29, 2007
I would stay away from Boondocker, there are better kits with better customer service, like Impulse or powderlites.

That's a low class thing to say on a public form. No doubt Impulse and Powerdlites make great kits, but lots of guys are running BD and extremely happy with performance and customer service.

I would perfer you keep your negative opinion to yourself, but if you have an uncontrolled need to say something at least clarify with (IMO) because opinions do very.

I've ran 3 BD kits and have been very happy with them. I have been happy with my customer service as well.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
focus!

Alright guys, we'll solve world hunger later, let's focus on the issue here. I still haven't bought a kit yet, but I will probably get one from Snow JW, so it's proabbly gonna be a BD or a powderlites... As far as customer service, with any make, if they aren't going to cooperate with you, just tactfully force them to!! Especially after spending that much money on their product,,, those guys are no different than the rest of us!!!

This is gonna be a spendy early season, so I'm thinkin I only have one shot at this.. If I f@#k something up, that could be half the season down the tube,, I'm not gonna take that risk..... What is the goin rate to get a kit installed anyways? And how many of you guys went with the under tunnell exhaust exit?? Does that make the install more difficult?

As far as the head shim, I've had a few guys say it hurts the bottom end a little. I will probably not get higher than 15 lbs, and I don't mind putting a couple gallons of 110, or 112 in per ride, I really don't want to go 100% high octane, fuel is expensive enough these days,,,

so, let's hear some opinions on those questions, and try to keep the bashing to a minimum,,, I like to do my own bashing thanks!

T
Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls, Wa
The head shim and cam timing are the hard part. They are still a bunch easier than doing low comp pistons. Everything else is pretty easy stuff. Doing it your self is the way to go in my opinion because you will know it inside and out when your done. It makes trouble shooting a bit easier.

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
First time install

We have help a lot of guys with installs and even teach them about cam timing etc.
Our FX Nytro kit has a Timing jig that everyone says is great and fast to check that you got cam timing right.
When you buy a kit from PowderLites we want you be ridng with pride!
Last day for Summer Sandbox deal guy!!

Turbo Kit Customer, Sandbox pricing. May 1 to July 31/08. All kits require $500.00 deposit. Must have shipping date before Dec 31/08.

FX NYTRO STAGE 2 KIT, regular price$6795.00. Early season price for 1 kit $6115.00 for 2 kits $6000.00. For 3 kits if you can get some friends together $5900.00 and we will ship for free in Canada/USA.

Number of kits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 -Note 3 kits or more- FREE SHIPPING

Apex Turbo Kit regular price $6995.00 Early season price $6450.00
Ask about discounts on multiple kits
www.powderlites.com

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
Alright guys, we'll solve world hunger later, let's focus on the issue here. I still haven't bought a kit yet, but I will probably get one from Snow JW, so it's proabbly gonna be a BD or a powderlites... As far as customer service, with any make, if they aren't going to cooperate with you, just tactfully force them to!! Especially after spending that much money on their product,,, those guys are no different than the rest of us!!!

This is gonna be a spendy early season, so I'm thinkin I only have one shot at this.. If I f@#k something up, that could be half the season down the tube,, I'm not gonna take that risk..... What is the goin rate to get a kit installed anyways? And how many of you guys went with the under tunnell exhaust exit?? Does that make the install more difficult?

As far as the head shim, I've had a few guys say it hurts the bottom end a little. I will probably not get higher than 15 lbs, and I don't mind putting a couple gallons of 110, or 112 in per ride, I really don't want to go 100% high octane, fuel is expensive enough these days,,,

so, let's hear some opinions on those questions, and try to keep the bashing to a minimum,,, I like to do my own bashing thanks!
The Powderlites kit will work on pump gas ( not sure what boost levels ) and he has a Rapid Bike box that is adjustable for fuel maps and timing curves on 2 separate boost levels ( pump gas or race gas ). That is what I would do is go with out headshim and his kit.

Premium Features