• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is the '16 really better than the '15?

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
(just the name "Skinz" brings to mind the Aryan Nation, while they may or may not be affiliated, it was a really poor choice of names to choose in my opinion)

COME ON HANDLE.....don't you that is a bit of a stretch......

ok then let's take "Handle"....it being of a German origin and therefore being associated with WWII.......

^^^^now that's a stretch :yo:

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
Every year I read the gushing reports of how much better this years sled is than last years. The pro is/was supposed to be the ultimate mtn. sled, now I'm reading "wow, one ride on the '16 and you'll never want to get back on an old pos '15 again." Really? Is it really THAT much better? I don't have the ability to ride a '16 so I have to go on info I get here. Is this the year a guy should actually go snowcheck a new sled? or is this just the usual talk of people trying to convince their wifes they need the newest and shiniest? Not trying to stir the pot folks, if it really is a "game changer" how?

One word: YES!

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
is it soooo good i can go back to a 155? that sks if it comes in LE colours i think im going that way. didnt like how basic the standard rmk was in 2014. was talked into how much better the 163 was than the 155. i only get out west for 5 days a year.

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
It'll be really easy to get the axys well below 400 pounds. Slp pipe and can drops 13 pounds and no fuel controller is needed! Fox shocks should drop a couple pounds too

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I am going to sit this one out after trying to decide between a 16 Axys Pro or a T3. I will be putting a 36" front end kit on my 13 Pro with the X3 track that is already on it along with other mods. I didn't exactly wear the sled out this winter of very little snow. Also, I think that my 11 Pro handled better than my 13 Pro by quite a bit. The only thing of substance that they changed was the front end. I hope that the 36" kit gives me more of that feeling that I had on my 11 along with being easier to lay over and turn, especially the downhill to uphill move that the T3 excels at. For me this one is a no brainer. I sell my 13 with all of the mods for about 50% of what I have in it or I spend a little bit more to make it better. For me and my riding style, my 13 makes plenty of power and is able to pull the X3 track at 8200/8300 RPM. It will be interesting to see how the Axys Pro performs next winter..............if we have one.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I am going to sit this one out after trying to decide between a 16 Axys Pro or a T3. I will be putting a 36" front end kit on my 13 Pro with the X3 track that is already on it along with other mods. I didn't exactly wear the sled out this winter of very little snow. Also, I think that my 11 Pro handled better than my 13 Pro by quite a bit. The only thing of substance that they changed was the front end. I hope that the 36" kit gives me more of that feeling that I had on my 11 along with being easier to lay over and turn, especially the downhill to uphill move that the T3 excels at. For me this one is a no brainer. I sell my 13 with all of the mods for about 50% of what I have in it or I spend a little bit more to make it better. For me and my riding style, my 13 makes plenty of power and is able to pull the X3 track at 8200/8300 RPM. It will be interesting to see how the Axys Pro performs next winter..............if we have one.

If I had a bone stock Pro RMK, I'd upgrade FOR SURE!!!!!

However, I have a 3" track (and ALL the stuff you have to do to it), Zbroz A-arms (set to 36") and $4k retail worth of Elka Stage 5 shocks, so I'm looking at it like this....you'll spend a LOT more doing that than you would to upgrade to the '16, for sure.
AND you'll have similar handling characteristics when you are done. Plus, less warranty, less HP, heavier chassis, less capable balance point, etc.

:)

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I for one do not drink the Skinz-laid (just the name "Skinz" brings to mind the Aryan Nation, while they may or may not be affiliated, it was a really poor choice of names to choose in my opinion), but since they are a protected advertiser in Harris Publishing's eyes and most of the Administrators and Moderators blindly buy and endorse their products, this post or the whole thread will likely disappear now.

Of course I don't drink the Burandt-laid either, I'll never run the Fox pogo sticks regardless of "who's" valving is in them.

I have my own ideas and I put them into my sleds, I don't need a company that throws out over priced, under engineered, dangerous crap to consumers (the bulk of which is now built overseas). With little to no service or support to the average Joe, the only ones that get catered to are their professional advertisers and other high profile people in the industry, they really couldn't give a sh!t about the little guy that buys their crap.

The AXYS RMK does not emulate any of the Skinz products IMO. Thank God!

Isn't this the Polaris business model? Not saying any company is any better than another at it, but seems to be a bit hypocritical to call out one company for doing it when you have a badge for a company that has done the same thing?

Back to the topic, I haven't ridden a new Axys sled, but I do hope they work out well. I feel bad for my buddy that bought a new 15 pro. He was only able to put 300 miles on it so far this year due to bad snow and is planning on getting a 16 now.

Last edited:
C
Feb 21, 2013
Sks?

is it soooo good i can go back to a 155? that sks if it comes in LE colours i think im going that way. didnt like how basic the standard rmk was in 2014. was talked into how much better the 163 was than the 155. i only get out west for 5 days a year.

SKS????

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
F'n internet Nazis I started a thread about the axys SKS and it got deleted.

But from what I seen it looks like the std rmk snow check from this year if it has front cooler, chain case, 2.6 track, option of painted rails and tunnel sign me up.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Isn't this the Polaris business model? Not saying any company is any better than another at it, but seems to be a bit hypocritical to call out one company for doing it when you have a badge for a company that has done the same thing?

Back to the topic, I haven't ridden a new Axys sled, but I do hope they work out well. I feel bad for my buddy that bought a new 15 pro. He was only able to put 300 miles on it so far this year due to bad snow and is planning on getting a 16 now.

The difference is; Polaris uses sound engineering principle's and designs, the issues that have resulted are from the bean counters cutting production costs and skimping on the Quality Control portion that needs to remain in place to enable the parts to fit and work as engineered.

My biggest beef with Skinz (other than their chosen name) is the complete lack of using sound engineering and construction practices. One should never use an welded aluminum A-arm, because their is little strength left after welding on such a small cross section, and I guarantee they don't bother to post weld heat treat them to bring the strength back. Billet CNC'd or Forged is the only way to do the Aluminum A-arm correctly. As proven in the automotive industry.

From the treads on Arctic's Relationship with it's dealer's and consumers, it surprises me you would call out Polaris on this when Cat is comfortable screwing everybody over, not just the average Joe consumer.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Premium Features