• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AXYS vs. CMX-X

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
So I can't help but notice that the new AXYS RMK and the CMX-X share a number of similarities as far as geometry is concerned.

The odds are pretty low, but has anybody got to ride both? How do they compare? CMX vs Pro even?

I know I'm not exactly comparing apples to apples, but I'm interested to know.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
From my point of view the CMX-X is a PRO RMK with a 16" wide track and ugly bodywork. It is further from the AXYS than the stock PRO RMK is. It does not have the rear suspension dropped out 2" nor the front with the lifted spindles. It does have a drop and roll and is effectively geared too high like the AXYS (but that is the only common ground I see).

Why do you think they are similar?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^i would tend to disagree w that, but havent ridden them, only drooled over them.
the cmx is designed more for powder than a pro. the spindles are different. the angle of the spindles is different. the belt drive doesnt look like something the chinese copied. the hood is a matter of taste, but i bet it works better in the powder as well.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The axys is a step in the right direction from the pro.
Narrower
Taller.
Shorter nose.

The cmx is a step in the wrong direction from the pro.
16" wide track ect.
The cmx would be closer to an xm with a vertical steering post no teabag motion and skinz front end.
And they are fugly, cant get over that.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
F
Why do you think they are similar?

-The front end is different than the Pro (spindles, a arms), supposedly steers better. Same bulkhead.

-Sits higher off the snow like the AXYS.

-Drive shaft seems to be in a similar position to the AXYS.

-Both are kinda fugly. :face-icon-small-hap

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
-The front end is different than the Pro (spindles, a arms), supposedly steers better. Same bulkhead.

-Sits higher off the snow like the AXYS.

-Drive shaft seems to be in a similar position to the AXYS.

-Both are kinda fugly. :face-icon-small-hap

I knew the CMX front geometry was different and better for trail riding (not mountain riding) but I've never heard of the spindle being stretched. It did not appear to be in the side by side photos when he was touting his geometry changes. I only know of one guy that actually likes the geometry of the CMX, everyone else that has bought into the sales pitch dumps the front end after a few rides. IMO completely different animals. Mark has some "unique" ideas (that is as positive as I can verbiage it), his lowest ratio is more suitable for a trail sled as well. IMO CMX is a has been that has lost focus of what a mountain sled is and what it should be. Again just my opinion. FWIW

It has little to nothing in common with the AXYS. They are headed in opposite directions and seeking different demographics.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Two vastly different markets - one is old enough to afford a CMX, the other is young enough to heal the broken bones on a RMK. Seldom will they ever overlap.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wysc3PyYcvc
pay attention when they talk about belt drives

Yep......I helped to install a CMX drive on an Edge quite a few years back & was very impressed with the quality. Had some issues with low service life out of the brake pads initially but that was eventually rectified.

Not that I can afford a CMX machine by any means & wouldn't expect a mass produced sled to have the same quality as a custom shop but the current drive system on the Pro could certainly use some refinement.

I have to admit that was somewhat disheartened when I seen the picture of the AXYS driveshaft.

axys.jpg

C
Dec 24, 2014
Doesn't CMX buy new PRO's, remove the engine and electrics, then sell off the chassis' ? Seems to me, they are keeping the only bad part of the PRO and, selling off the best. There was a time CMX ruled with $30k 400lb mtn sleds but, I think they are now way behind the curve and definitely going the opposite direction Polaris is headed. Hand built things are usually worth a premium over the factory built stuff, and there was an impressive performance difference. I remember riding with a 910 powered Gen2 chassis CMX. The rest of us on modified Edge sleds were in awe, that thing was awesome. Next winter, if it snows, I bet you put the Axsys up against the CMX like that and the stocker is going to be the one you want to ride. The stock Polaris matches the weight, looks better and reportedly handles better. Then factor in the price difference, I am frankly amazed anybody buys sleds from CMX anymore. Oh, and fugly!

Last edited:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I have CMX arms and spindles on my pro and I like them. I don't notice much difference other than easier steering .

I haven't ridden a CMX sled

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Mark at CMX has been doing super cool stuff for a long time now. The problem he faces is that he can't sell enough of his product to bring the price down. Back in the late 90's there were a ton of things to do to a sled to improve it. Now days it's getting harder to find "mods" that really improve a sled. Aside from a turbo/BB and shock upgrades, the list of mods to a Pro is really small in terms of what used to be done to sleds.

I've followed a few different builders who put together super light weight Polaris sleds that are super expensive. Every time a new chassis comes out (Pro, Axys...) it seems that all that money spent is now history. If the Axys is as good as advertised, it could be one of the few sleds I've ever left stock.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Wasn't there an edge style CMX in a mountain mod mania movie that was in the 300s for dry weight? It was yellow, two guys picked it up off the ground and held it at waist height. Seems like a turnkey mod like that would be worth the money, but at dang near the same weight as a factory sled, seems like most of the DIY builds nowadays could compete with a new CMX. How much better do they maneuver and get up on the snow than their factory counterpart?

D
Nov 14, 2013
Mark at CMX has been doing super cool stuff for a long time now. The problem he faces is that he can't sell enough of his product to bring the price down. Back in the late 90's there were a ton of things to do to a sled to improve it. Now days it's getting harder to find "mods" that really improve a sled. Aside from a turbo/BB and shock upgrades, the list of mods to a Pro is really small in terms of what used to be done to sleds.

I've followed a few different builders who put together super light weight Polaris sleds that are super expensive. Every time a new chassis comes out (Pro, Axys...) it seems that all that money spent is now history. If the Axys is as good as advertised, it could be one of the few sleds I've ever left stock.

Basically as discussed in the weight loss thread, where do these aftermarket companies go with a package that is so impressive stock? We can all slap in a BB kit (which is becoming less of an upgrade on the newer engines from what I have read,) or slap on a turbo/supercharger kit. The chassis stock is exceptional, the weight, not cheap to improve on (past a pipe.) Is there a need for companies like cmx now? If you are a die hard cat fan, yes.....

I think they need to step up their game, if I am shelling out the coin they are looking for on a CMX, where is the Vipec etc? the design is in need of an update. They need to push the envelope.

Sledding isn't like riding a motorcycle, you can pay someone thousands to build you a motorcycle that ruins all the handling characteristics that the factories spent years developing, give it a ton of a style and still appreciate it. Its unique, still useable as it was developed for a race track anyhow.

The only place I see something similar in sledding, is Yamaha turbo guys, they dump thousands into their sleds trying to make a decent mountain machine out of them, though that seems to be loosing its cool. Instead you spend thousands putting a fourstroke into a pro-like chassis. :frusty:

T

TheJett29

Dec 6, 2007
Western ND
Cmx is a great built sled and refined like the pro should be. Gets out of the snow faster than a pro, more track speed, super aggressive handling, and yet some of you call it a trail sled. That's funny. But I am sure you have spent a season on a brand new CMX-X like I did. As I recall I also had zero recalls. Easiest sled to ride I have ever been on. Front end was a matter of opinion but had to learn how to set it up, like I said very aggressive.

Those make the pro feel old. I had a new pro and new cmx-x at same time. Pro had HM turbo with Vipec, cmx had long rod.

The new axys is another step in the right direction, mostly all copied from skinz protective gear, which also works with cmx. Ironic huh.

Just my opinion though, I would have no trouble buying another cmx next year, I was 100% satisfied, can't same the same about buying from polaris.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
what i think is ironic is you have a custom sled builder in a small town in montana that totally dissects the best mountain sled offered by the big four (not brand biased, remember theyve used cat stuff before) and purpose builds it from the bulkhead up, and you compare that to a large factory in Minnesota that takes their best trail sled after every year and puts a "mountain track" on it, and say thats a step in the right direction. mostly because its a narrower track which is insignificant as you could probably order whatever track you want on the cmx.
apples to oranges, a 2015 sled compared to a 2016 "sneak peak"
i like the comparison tho.
what i wonder is how deep youd be into it taking a stock axys and adding a proper designed belt drive (cmx), full 3" paddle, non "barn door" spindles, best shocks on the market, lightweight seat, proven turbo setup, ect, and factor in your time building it too...

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If you were to compare the new Axys to something, it would be the sleds coming out of Burandt's shop. The concepts are very similar.

I have been around one of the Burandt sleds. It is nothing short of amazing. The new sled will be the same just a tad more refined.

Premium Features