• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

am i getting screwed?

Jan 28, 2008
White SD
hey guys i have some questions for you. i bought a 2005 ski doo summit and the beggining of the season (nov) i rode the sled 30 miles and the crank went out of it. i called the dealer and they told me as is no warranty. i argued with um about it and we finally came to the conclusion of parts at there cost and half labor. so i told um to call me with a estimate when they get it tore apart. the mechanic told me 2 or 3 days. 3 week later a called um and they told me they just got it done. they put in a new motor basically with a new short block and all new top end. i don`t believe the it needed and new top end cause the sled only had 855 miles. what are my options now?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Well....that was a generous offer for the parts and labor, there is never any warranty on 6 year old sled. The old parts are still yours so have them show you what was wrong with the old top-end parts. Could be it was more econimical to do an entire short-black assembly than the individual parts and labor to assemble..???

F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
To bad about your sled issues but I agree, there is usually no warranty on a used older sled even if it had low miles and you picked it up from a dealer who probably picked it up on trade in. Cost of a rebuild can easily be over $2500.00 for parts and labor so maybe it was more economical from a labor standpoint to just plop in new stuff. Talk to them about warrantying the new motor and ask them to give you back your old parts and sell off what is still good to recoup some of your cash. This is probably a very good deal if they are truly giving you this at their cost for parts and half labor as you mentioned.

Be happy you have a new motor hauling you around.

R
Jan 5, 2008
Billings MT
Personally I feel that they should have done it for parts cost only. Especially since they took 3 weeks to do it. But I dont like dealers or their service. I think that they knew there was something wrong with the sled, 30 miles is not even one good ride. The last guy probably took it in because it had problems, heard the bad news and traded it off. They put it on the floor and sold it to you without fixing it. It sucks and u are getting screwed. not really sure what you can do about it though. I had the same thing happen to me but i bought mine out of the paper so I didnt even get the labor cost out of it. Have you used this dealer much before? Might try that angle. They knew that sled had problems......probably gave you a good deal on it because they knew they were going to get to fix it. Good luck

M

mastertech

Mar 24, 2009
Cambridge/McCall Id.
www.snowestonline.com
Crappy deal man.. But as said above, There is no warrenty on used Sleds. I'm sure the tag said as-is. Crap like this happens all the time. It was a really good jesture of the dealer to say cost plus half labor.. **** isnt free, they have to pay there bills also. Hope you enjoy the new motor and go tear it up out there..

Last edited:
T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
INTRESTING you may not get your old top end back because,if they installed a short block they will want cyl , crank and cases for core charge or pay to keep your core,let us know how this plays out.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Not to rub salt in the wound but buy the time they get done with you, you could have just bought a newer sled with out the problems that you have had now.:face-icon-small-fro

Jan 28, 2008
White SD
i just talked the the guy and get said that the bill with the new short block, gaskets, and labor is $1892. i told him that i needed and estimate before they started fixing it and now it is fixed and i had no estimate. do i talk to the owner and give him a piece of my mind or what?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
By law they MUST give you your old parts back if you ask for them....they are yours, you paid for them! THEN upon examination you can allow them to be used for core.

M

mastertech

Mar 24, 2009
Cambridge/McCall Id.
www.snowestonline.com
By law they MUST give you your old parts back if you ask for them....they are yours, you paid for them! THEN upon examination you can allow them to be used for core.

You are wrong my friend.. If there is a core charge, they belong to the shop untill they are credited back by the manufacturer.

With that being said.. Federal law states all automotive wheather it be recreation, commercial etc. the repair company must have a sighned estimate before starting work.. If they dont, and you decide to push it, you better have some time and money for court cost..

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
You are wrong my friend.. If there is a core charge, they belong to the shop untill they are credited back by the manufacturer.

With that being said.. Federal law states all automotive wheather it be recreation, commercial etc. the repair company must have a sighned estimate before starting work.. If they dont, and you decide to push it, you better have some time and money for court cost..

But if they charged him for the parts they are his....it was part of the sled. HE can allow the dealer to return them for the core charge or he can keep the parts and pay the core. BUT, it is his decision. They cannot keep his own parts from him if he requests them...that's how I've always understood it anyway :face-icon-small-dis
And yes, the bill must be no more than 10% over the estimate unless there was at least a verbal agreement to go over.

Jan 28, 2008
White SD
so if i requested a estimate and it was on my information sheet when i dropped the sled off. to call me before they fix it what can i do about it now that it is fixed?

Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
Shortblock not so short..

Ski-Doo factory short blocks include the top end. You only need to reuse the old head. I haven't priced that old a motor but 1800 is probably about right for the total, however, if they agreed do the work at cost of parts and 1/2 labor due the math.. Ski-doo recently went thru all of the parts fische and obsoleted all of the 800 motors prior to 2008 so you don't really know what they should cost anymore. Last I looked about a year ago, from an online dealer the motors could be found for 1200 or so. What is there cost? Maybe 1100 on the high side plus some shipping? How many hours did it take to do the swap? figure a full day maybe a 75/hr? so 1100+100shipping+ 300 labor.. You get pretty close to 1500 pretty quick..Plus there is a gasket kit required for the head, intakes, exhaust, figure couple new odds and ends and you can easily get to 1800..

D
Apr 28, 2009
That's actually a really good deal on parts and labor.

At least now you should have a good running sled that will last you a while. Remember the new motor comes with 1 yr warranty so go out there and tear it up.

I have learned a lot since buying my first sled last year. I know a lot of times we're trying to save $ and buy an older sled but sometimes it is worth to look for newer sleds that are still under warranty (at least the motor).

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
That is a pretty crappy deal but.....Really if you rode your sled 30 miles I doubt the dealer or the owner before knew the motor was going to go out. Its just somthing that happens. Sound like they treated you good(minus the doing the work before you said go part) but sounds like a good deal to me as far as getting it fixed.

Premium Features