• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GreenRock Parking Regulations

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Hello Everyone, hope you all have a great new year.

The Snow Range Snowmobile club had our first meeting of the new year last night ( January 7th). We had a guest join us from the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest. Mary Sanderson she is the Recreation Planner based here in the Laramie Ranger District. We discussed many things from trails to parking. She would like us to help pass on the Rules and Regulation for the GreenRock Parking area. So I have attached the document that was presented to us.

So please help protect our parking privilege at GreenRock!
http://www.srscwy.com/srwu_education_back.pdf

L

lookin4snow

Jan 10, 2008
Lodi, WI
Thanks for posting. Looks pretty straight-forward except for the part about pulling completely off 130 for parking outside the Green Rock parking area. That just isn't possible. When we were there a few weeks ago and the snowbanks were low, you still took up a portion of the driving lane.

That is great and this is the same chart on the snowmachine maps.

When is the Forest Service going to do their part and start enforcing no over night camping/ parking at the Albany Lodge parking lot????

As a tax payer that chaps my behind that we pay taxes on parking lot to benfit the Albany Lodge and local cabin owners!!

I dont care where the cabin owners park-it is not my responsiblity as a tax payer to find and pay for their parking.

They built/bought the cabins fully aware that they could not drive to them in the winter..

That torks me!!! RANT OVER

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
How & why is Albany any different than the other areas? People staying at Snowy mountain Lodge or mountain meadow cabins are parking overnight for FREE.

We pay a lot of money to park on private property when we stay at our Cabin. Not all of us are out to pi$$ you off.

I could care less if someone Parks there overnight. I have a bigger issue with the idiots that can't follow directions and park like the sign shows. Albany needs the snow berm back down the center of the lot like was there before we had to pay.

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
I agree with you, Pulling completely off 130 is not always easy or doable. I think the best we can do is get over a far as possible. Not that any of use what our rigs hanging out in the traffic.

As for enforcement, the forest service has no jurisdiction @ GreenRock, that is the state and county. As for Albany They do control the parking, that is why you pay $5.00 a day. I agree people need to pay attention to the parking signs and the FS needs to Enforce the policy's.

As for the private owners parking overnight, I feel for both sides. If i were an owner ( wishful thinking ) I would need a place to park. As a Tax Payer It is not right for them to use a designated no overnight tax payer funded Lot.
Green rock does have the same issues.

Again it all comes down to enforcement.

Albany Mountain

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Albany, Wyoming
I really can't see where a "taxpayer" argument has any merit at all in this. Not knowing where all the taxpayers using this argument, are from; I do know the local in-state "taxpayers" have more of their taxes funneled towards these activities by funding the state through property taxes. And as the Albany Country Sheriffs office is funded by residents of Albany County, the search and rescue, enforcement etc. Residents are more involved in recreational planning as non-residents as well.

If benefits are weighed against taxes paid, the locals pay probably more taxes that contribute to the sport than anyone else.

And I am sure that anyone paying Federal taxes are hardly going broke due to the amount that actually makes it to the end result. The forest service seems to have 80 employees based in Laramie and I do not know how many (if any) takes daily responsibility for snowmobiling infrastures, but we keep probably all 80 employed through the winter.

It is truly a matter of enforcement and tons of impact as everyone rolls in for the weekends.

As I pay directly more than nonresidents, for the usage of the area, I suppose I should be hollering more. But all I am going to say is that the almighty taxpayer argument, doesn't hold water, other than the general sense that funding agencies that chose to ignore the situation, is getting tough to find the patience to keep paying $$$$.

S
Dec 21, 2008
Cheyenne, WY
Hello Everyone, hope you all have a great new year.

The Snow Range Snowmobile club had our first meeting of the new year last night ( January 7th). We had a guest join us from the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest. Mary Sanderson she is the Recreation Planner based here in the Laramie Ranger District. We discussed many things from trails to parking. She would like us to help pass on the Rules and Regulation for the GreenRock Parking area. So I have attached the document that was presented to us.

So please help protect our parking privilege at GreenRock!
http://www.srscwy.com/srwu_education_back.pdf

WyoRMK, thanks for the info. I also posted an UPDATE on Snowy Range Parking Lot Near Greenrock earlier today with new info I got from Mary this morning. They have decided to postpone the parking lot for now in order to evaluate other locations.

Premium Features