• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris AXYS

B

boondocker155

Sep 5, 2013
what are the thoughts about the new motor now that some have had a chance to get some miles on them?? Is the reliability going to be better? I'm super curious about it. Will we be happy if that motor ends up in the 2016 pros? I thought we'd be seeing a little more about this on the forum by now..

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
From what I have read the new engine was designed to fit in the new chassis and will not fit into a Pro chassis. With that being said Im sure with enough money and time someone could do it.

2 months into the season is simply not enough time to determine the reliability.

P

polarisblue

Jan 16, 2014
:face-icon-small-hapI currently own a axis switchback 800 , the motor is awesome you guys will love the power that it has over the current pro motor it pulls like its a modified pro. The chassis is lite and nimble. I am sure POLARIS has something up their sleeves for you mountain guys. We are currently clutching the axis and it doesn't clutch like the old pro motor either but we have made great improvement over stock, these things are a weapons you guys have a lot to look forward to!!!

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
I am in the same situation as you GExpress. My '09 Dragon needs an upgrade. I don't want to relive my '08 Dragon nightmare--First Year New Motor. Have had Zero motor issues with my '09 Dragon. That being said, great deals here in Northern BC on '14/'15's. These engines do live, just need to maintain them.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I'm in for the discussion! i have been lurking the Axys forums here and on HCS and I haven't found a single motor issue to date. Just read a thread on HCS with a guy that has 1400 miles and not a single issue.

I've got my $500 check ready come April and am hoping this engine turns out to be as reliable as my 2004 700 edge...Wishful thinking? Maybe...

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I've got a new one in the family I have limited seat time.

I rode it still in break in and it felt very similar to my stage 3

This generation feels very light for a trail sled. We shall see

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Trail miles and mountain miles are not the same IMO....I'll wait and see....I hope its better...have RB Pro top end twice in 2000 miles, about ready to jump ship if it goes down again

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Trail miles and mountain miles are not the same IMO....I'll wait and see....I hope its better...have RB Pro top end twice in 2000 miles, about ready to jump ship if it goes down again

I definitely agree there. I would say (roughly speaking) that 1000 trail miles is equal to about 600 mountain miles or less. But, it's still good to hear that the new motors aren't falling apart on anyone.

I'm hoping with a good warranty for snow check machines and the fact that polaris has had to do SOMETHING to address some problems people have had with the 800 motor.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I'm in for the discussion! i have been lurking the Axys forums here and on HCS and I haven't found a single motor issue to date. Just read a thread on HCS with a guy that has 1400 miles and not a single issue.

I've got my $500 check ready come April and am hoping this engine turns out to be as reliable as my 2004 700 edge...Wishful thinking? Maybe...

I have been lurking on HCS aswell and there is one/a few AXYS motor issues but they dont seem to be the same piston/cyl problems as the cfi-2 800.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I was looking for a link but ran out of time. I will keep looking a bit later. If I recall it was a burned down motor on one cyl. But I don't remember all the details.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I have also been following the threads, particularly the issues thread and the what to check on delivery thread

Seems to be some common issues with the IDD, some headlight, some grip warmers, fuel gauges, really for te most part crappy little things. Hopefully they are 99% ironed out for next year

I haven't seen anything yet that indicates a common design flaw or anything. More just the odd faulty part

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Just read that entire thread and what everyone is leaning towards seems to be a foreign object. After looking at the pics, I would have to agree.

All indicators point towards an isolated incident. Afterall, weirder things have happened especially in mass production.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Yes it looks that way. The new engines seem to be having a pretty good go so far, or else there just isn't enough snow to put the miles on enough of them yet.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Engine seems to be legit. Wiring issues (vendor problems) seem to be its only hiccup. Seen one on trail here in MI with what I thought was daytime flickering headlights for better visibility, but that proved to be related to the wiring harness problem from what the owner told me.

kyinwa

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2011
washington
I definitely agree there. I would say (roughly speaking) that 1000 trail miles is equal to about 600 mountain miles or less. But, it's still good to hear that the new motors aren't falling apart on anyone.

I'm hoping with a good warranty for snow check machines and the fact that polaris has had to do SOMETHING to address some problems people have had with the 800 motor.

1000 Trail = 600 Mountain ~ Is this a straight metric conversion? :)

Premium Features