• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 King Cat clutching

E

Elevation

Dec 3, 2005
Central Montana
www.elevationgear.com
I know there have been some posts on this subject. But I know nothing about clutching and need specific advise. I am about 245 pounds with av pack and gear. I have a 05 carbed KK with a 162" factory track (not attack 20). I ride 7500 to 9000 feet. now I am getting about 6800 rpm. the sled just doesn't seem to climb that well. I have a cultler can and thats it for mods. what do I do for clutching to work better? and who do I buy it from? Thanks!

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
6800 sounds like the valve are not opening, check it on the stand and make sure the sevo only cycles once on startup, if it does 3 time check the cables and the valves for correct free play and distance.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Too many variables to give any good advise. Need to know more about your sled. What do you currently have for a setup? ie: weights,spring,helx,gearing I asume the sled is jetted properly and the engine is running fine? I ride the exact same sled at 3-6k feet and love mine. You also should be able to buy all the tuning stuff you need at your local dealer. -00's

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
6800 sounds like the valve are not opening, check it on the stand and make sure the sevo only cycles once on startup, if it does 3 time check the cables and the valves for correct free play and distance.

If your buddies knew what they were talking about, they would have your sled running good for you! Unless the clutches are totaly messed up it is'nt them. Servo& power-valves are where it's at. 6800 is the majic number.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I was hoping to find an old post for you but I'll just give you the condensed version.

Take the cover off the servo, where the cables some into the servo there is a slide on clip that holds the cables in place. unhook the cables and take them out of the drum. Pay attention to the rotation and placement of the cables. Pull on each cable and make sure they are sliding freely. If not, you need to remove and cleaning the power-valves. Measure from the housing end to the cable lug. The exposed 'cable' should be 38.5mm Adjust to that length and hook back up. Start the sled and watch the servo. It should cycle once, some of them you need to rev it up a little. If it does not cycle or cycles more than once something is wrong, probably with the servo. You can just wire the valves open and it should run fine, with some stumbling and low power at low end but top performance at full throttle. You should be running around 74 to 7500 r's

E

Elevation

Dec 3, 2005
Central Montana
www.elevationgear.com
Clutch info helix is a Cutler A51 (51 straight) the rest is stock-weights are 69.0, primary spring is Ti/Y/G secondary spring Ti/R/W with 19/43 gears. The reasearch I have done says to go to a 67 weight, does that sound right. dealer tells me to leave it all stock-so not much help. Thanks for your help!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The 67g. will not help with your problem. With what you have you should be in the 7400 range. You should be running 340 to 360 jets. Still say it is your valves. wire them open and go for a ride.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You are about the same size as me and with your setup mine would be running at 7500 at the lower elevations like you ride. I'm usually 8500 to 10,000'. I dropped to 67g and it only changed it about 200 r's. Have you checked your compression? We are waiting on parts now for a 800 doo. It would run fine down here but at elevation we could only get a little over 6000 r's, checked the compression here and we had 130 cold and only 100 warm. Add 8000ft. to that and it was probably running with 75 lbs. of compression!
I'm heading to W. Yellowstone the last week of the month and if you're down that way I would take a look at it for you, while we are riding! I like riding down there, it's a little lower elevation and it's a very noticible difference in performance. It's amazing what 1000' will do.

E

Elevation

Dec 3, 2005
Central Montana
www.elevationgear.com
digger-thanks for the reply-I had plans to be in Island Park(over the hill from west) this weekend but next door neighbor son was killed in a car crash. I had to stay for the funeral. thanks for the offer! Maybe I can make it-have to wait & see.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Check your TI primary spring to see if it broke. Mine did.

How are the o-rings on the clutch pins? Are the rollers in good shape?

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Here's what I got for clutchin on my king, perfect for both climbing and boondocking. stock spring in primary, 67g wieghts, straight 53deg helix green snopro spring in secondary on second tightest hole. Its a good setup to start out with then fine tune from there I pull about 7600-7800 Rs. with good jetting I'm runnin about 1200-1250 on the EGTs

Premium Features