• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 600 rmk bog/backfire-PLEASE HELP!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Ok I'm working on my dads 2003 rmk 600. Sled is 100% stock and has been since new. I have a bog/backfire issue right off of idle. I've pulled the carbs and cleaned them with carb cleaner and compressed air. I've reset the fuel screws to 2.5 turns out at this time but before I took them one turn out and adjusted out 1/2 turn at a time with no real difference in the issue. I've also put in new plugs. Where it is set now, if I put it at half choke, it will not bog on the lower end but then run like crap at 4000+ rpms. With the choke of it bogs and backfires off of the bottom end but if you feather it or Half choke it to get it going then turn the choke off, it runs awesome on the top end.

Where do I start with this? I'm at about 4000 feet and ride from 5000-8000 feet. Stock carb setting should prevail right? Doesn't sound like a tps issue or temp sensor issue because it runs good on the top end? Needing some input, thanks

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Pull em one more time and physically remove all jets and clean, especially the small pilot jet, you'll need a small blade flat to remove that one.
The jet is so small it can appear clear but be blocked.
Might as well put new bowl debri fuel line on the bottom of carb, they can almost appear good but be breaking down internally.
Reset fuel screws to 1-1/2.
Should work.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Ok I will do that next time I get the chance. Are you sure that the fuel screw should be 1.5 out? My manual doesn't say but everything I could find on the internet said 2.5 out

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Good, after you do, it should have better transition. Pretty sure the 1-1/2 from lightly seated. Doesn't have to be spot on, could go 1-5/8 to 1-3/4. Keep it snappy.
Do all the work, let us know what you find. :)

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
I was under the impression that the needle position affects the idle mixture the most. In this case, dropping the needle inside of the carb, will reduce the amount of gas being mixed with the same amount of air. I use a #2 position from the top of the needle, where I locate the clip. It sounds like the offending carb has needles set in the #3 position, which enriches the mixture to cause popping. But I have an 800.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If the choke helps clean it up then you have a lean condition.
If it's on the immediate bottom end, it's your pilot jet circuit. Could be plugged, as said above.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Needle clip is mid range.

Main nets mostly affect top end.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I go along with the pilot jet circuit being partially plugged. As mentioned take the pilot jet and all jets out for that matter to clean them.
Owners manual gives jetting specs for altitude and temperature. Looks like clip should be in #3 position for your altitude. Fuel screw is one turn out and then fine tune from there for throttle response. You did drain old fuel and replace with fresh fuel right?
http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/polaris/common/parts-manuals/9917598r01.pdf

Premium Features