• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken diamond drive

kusy

Premium Member
Mar 26, 2008
06 xfire 700,1800 miles.dd cleaned up and new fluid in december.

I was cruising along and thought i could hear a faint whistle.about a mile later down the trail,i hear a faint clunk sound, so i kill the engine and check things out. didnt blow a belt, plugs are good, so i start er up and 50' down the trail hear a LOUD whine and engines keeps reving but sleds not going anywhere.

so i obviously think diamond drive. take the belt off and i can spin the secondary freely.the track was locked up but got it spining freely with a few tugs on it.

fluid all over the bellypan so i think i blew a seal. so no fluid and she starts to whine and then boom. any ideas how bad it could be??? im pulling apart later.:face-icon-small-fro

kusy

Premium Member
Mar 26, 2008
this is what i found.need to replace this mess.
dumb question but why would the seal go?
how often shoul i replace them?

dd2.png dd1.png

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
do yourself a huge favor and remove the dd drive from chassis, and completely disassemble the unit to clean out every metal shard and metal sparkley.

too many of these go backtogether somewhat cleaned up, then couple of hundred miles later, they fizzle again. this gear setup can't tolerate the same amount of circulating metal that a chain case will take .

bdxtreme way cheaper than cat with better sungear cluster.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I don't think we can get a DD lite that will go in the 06.

Why not put the lite gears, planetary and ring gear in the 06 case and its basically the same thing, minus the dip stick, and the 4 oz. oil capacity. This is what Jeff at bdx told me. All we did was buy a lite case half for my buddys 11 and machine his old 06 cover to fit the case, all his 06 gears etc. fit in that lite case.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Why not put the lite gears, planetary and ring gear in the 06 case and its basically the same thing, minus the dip stick, and the 4 oz. oil capacity. This is what Jeff at bdx told me. All we did was buy a lite case half for my buddys 11 and machine his old 06 cover to fit the case, all his 06 gears etc. fit in that lite case.

Yeah, you can replace the innerds, I'm just saying you can't just swap to a DD lite. You CAN do it... but that's a big pain in the azz for very little improvement, the 06 DD is a very good unit compared to the later builds.

If the case is still good, just get the parts to rebuild it.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, you can replace the innerds, I'm just saying you can't just swap to a DD lite. You CAN do it... but that's a big pain in the azz for very little improvement, the 06 DD is a very good unit compared to the later builds.

If the case is still good, just get the parts to rebuild it.

agreed. go with the bdx parts if you do rebuild it, the cat dealership in yellowstone charged my buddy $700 to rebuild his 2011 diamond drive and he still had one good gear in there after it blew up. I told him they didnt even spit on it before they screwed him.. Could have bought a new diamond lite for the same price :face-icon-small-dis

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Black Diamond planetarys, bearings and ring gears are same as cat parts. Part #s are on them, lots cheaper though. Their drive gears are upgraded units though. Strongest way to go is to put their straight cut gear setup in which is totally their own. Highest ratio is 58/62 which might not be good enough for a flatlander sled.

Premium Features