• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 Stator going out???

shuttlevalve

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2009
My wife was riding the 06 700 yesterday and we let my son (10 years old) bomb around in a open field of powder. Slow speeds and at least a half and hour so i'm sure it was pretty hot although it had plenty of cooling snow. The wife hops on to get headed home and it just quits like someone hit the kill switch. Unplugged the kill switch and still nothing and i noticed the headlight isnt even coming up when pulling the rope it was like the whole electrical system was dead. Luckly the groomed trail was only a mile off and i towed it with the m1000. About 8 miles down the trail we stopped to let the sled cool down and i desided to pull on the rope a few times. First pull another guy says the headlight is coming on, 2nd pull it fired and ran the next 25 miles down the trail normally?? Could be the stator getting hot and shorting out? When i rode it seemed ok, but maybe a little doggy or flat out of the hole, and RPMs build slow, but i havent rode it much since i picked up the 1000 so its hard to say. Just put a mag side motor mount in it. its got over 3000 trouble free miles other than maintenance and never been on a rope till now. ANy ideas??

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
My wife was riding the 06 700 yesterday and we let my son (10 years old) bomb around in a open field of powder. Slow speeds and at least a half and hour so i'm sure it was pretty hot although it had plenty of cooling snow. The wife hops on to get headed home and it just quits like someone hit the kill switch. Unplugged the kill switch and still nothing and i noticed the headlight isnt even coming up when pulling the rope it was like the whole electrical system was dead. Luckly the groomed trail was only a mile off and i towed it with the m1000. About 8 miles down the trail we stopped to let the sled cool down and i desided to pull on the rope a few times. First pull another guy says the headlight is coming on, 2nd pull it fired and ran the next 25 miles down the trail normally?? Could be the stator getting hot and shorting out? When i rode it seemed ok, but maybe a little doggy or flat out of the hole, and RPMs build slow, but i havent rode it much since i picked up the 1000 so its hard to say. Just put a mag side motor mount in it. its got over 3000 trouble free miles other than maintenance and never been on a rope till now. ANy ideas??

Check your taillight wiring under your bumper. They are known to rub open and short out. Also test your voltage regulator. That would be a good place to start.

shuttlevalve

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2009
Well pulled it apart and cant find a wiring issue. Ohmed out the infamous tail light harness and pulle the bumper it all looks good. Ohmed out the stator and its normal, then pulled out the stator put it in the oven at 200*F and checked it and it was still within spec. This thing is ticking me off. I could spend hundreds of dollars giving it my best guess....and still get towed home

shuttlevalve

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2009
yes it is all stock. I did pull the guard off the wire loom there and checked the outer casing was fine.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Youre gunna need to take off the whole gas tank and everything to check the whole wire for the taillight, but I second the taillight wiring post. Also check your hand warmers and thumb warmers. Its for sure not your stator the stator would make it so you dont get full rpms but the sled would still run just not build rpm. I think if it wouldnt start then started later its either a wiring issue or just the occasional sled not wanting to start. Happens every once in awhile and its weird and makes no sense... Also try changing your plugs.

Premium Features