• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which skis

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
this was the 3rd time my skis punched through and tossed me into the snow. you can see where my track was until it punched through the base and it did a nose stand and flopped over.

292941_3629969231342_1337436134_3565470_1674437602_n.jpg

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Nothing ever just bolts on for me LOL. Doo ski rubber is a bit too tall so needs to be cut down an 1/8th(but designed to keep the tips up, unlike Cat ones) and spindle spacer is too long ( either need to lathe it or flip bolt bushings on skis and use thinner washers on inside.
Trail riders will not like these skis as much because the turn in is a little vague on hard pack (not much keel behind the spindle). I just use a more throttle in the corners now.

Wyo, I spent a blue sky afternoon in spring snow trying to find a peaceful spot on this sled (didn't) going into a turn downhill. I got tired and lazy and the same thing happened to me. Abrupt stop, almost over the bars (rotated the riser forward 3"). Difference was my ski tips were almost straight up and out of the snow above my bumper. A big pull on the skis (didn't even shut the motor off) hopped back on and a big pull on the bars, and gone.
The stock skis would have been 2 and a 1/2 feet below the crust.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I dug out the front and rode right out, with my new skis I don't think this is going to happen. The first time I did it I crossed a track and punched through the base, the skis where under the base (2ft down) and you could hardly see the hood, second time I was sidehilling up hill, crossed track and got thrown hard. Even going up hill it still lifted the rear and tossed it over so the sled was heading in the other direction.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Mine did this with shot ski rubbers on my poder pros, i moved them to the back position and put new rubbers in, works a ton better i noticed it was landing harder, after looking at some video my skis were slighly cambered up in the ski forward position (where i liked them on my old m)

But this chassis i like them in the back position with stiff rubbers.

Made a huge difference the ski will dive now and not point tewards the ski and stop me when it does. Punches through nice

-Aksnopro

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
I wanna hear from the guys with the Slydogs, What are your thoughts on their ski?

I love my Sly Dogs for the reason I bought them for my M1100T was for flotation in deep snow. Period. I could care less how they preform on the trail or on a side hill. Its hard for any ski to preform well in all conditions. The Sly Dogs do everything else better than the stock ski. Meaning they float great, side hill great and have good characteristics on the trail. Any ski wider than stock would have given good flotation but I don't care for the dual runner or the deep keel of other designs. Now for snow conditions of my last few rides (spring mushy snow no flotation needed) the stock ski would be better because the wider ski require power steering.

The one thing I dislike about the Sly Dogs are the wimpy ski loop that can't be pulled on to get unstuck. To be a mountain ski it needs to be able to be tugged on to get out of a hole of epic proportions. Because when you a M1100 stuck, break out the ball cap and shovel cause your gonna be there awhile and it's gonna need a good tug on a ski loop. The warning that comes with the skis even states not to use the ski loop to pull on. Sure the loop works good for flat land trail riding. So why even build a wide ski intended for mountain riding with a ski loop you recommend not using to get unstuck.

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
I love my Sly Dogs for the reason I bought them for my M1100T was for flotation in deep snow. Period. I could care less how they preform on the trail or on a side hill. Its hard for any ski to preform well in all conditions. The Sly Dogs do everything else better than the stock ski. Meaning they float great, side hill great and have good characteristics on the trail. Any ski wider than stock would have given good flotation but I don't care for the dual runner or the deep keel of other designs. Now for snow conditions of my last few rides (spring mushy snow no flotation needed) the stock ski would be better because the wider ski require power steering.

The one thing I dislike about the Sly Dogs are the wimpy ski loop that can't be pulled on to get unstuck. To be a mountain ski it needs to be able to be tugged on to get out of a hole of epic proportions. Because when you a M1100 stuck, break out the ball cap and shovel cause your gonna be there awhile and it's gonna need a good tug on a ski loop. The warning that comes with the skis even states not to use the ski loop to pull on. Sure the loop works good for flat land trail riding. So why even build a wide ski intended for mountain riding with a ski loop you recommend not using to get unstuck.

i have used the loop to get pulled out many times. i guess i have never read the warning. but you are right, might as well not have a loop.

Premium Features