• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Analyze this

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Hmmm. A friend of mine once made a tongue-in-cheek remark to me while I was cooking my hotdog on the secondary and boiling the chili on the primary.
He said "Cat was right!" I said "What!" as I burned my finger picking up the dog. "You should of left the snow holes in there".

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
I have threaded rod I install in the crank and jackshaft. I can compress the clutches with springs in simulating full shift.
Doing so I don't see any binding.
If the clutches were binding I should get an over rev but the sled was running around 8100

I think with the belt running so low I could gear down a little. Just enough to stay out of OD

When warmed up after some hard pulls, do both clutches still go to full shift?

For all these belt failures, starting to suspect a sticking primary in the last 1/2-1/3 of travel only after the clutch has warmed up. Once the primary experiences its Fox Float like stiction, the belt slips generating excessive heat and it becomes a ticking time bomb.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Geeziz H!!!! They will never shift all the way unless they are hitting top speed , which when stock geared is around 90 mph. Unless you habe a 240 hp turbo no 800 comes anywhere near full shift during a climb !!! If you happen to hold it wfo in the air or hit ice your sled will never shift more that about 60% -70% Ever!!!!

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
If running in deep snow and up hills that's as far as its going to shift. Those marks are are about where The sled hits 40-50 mph. It's that's all you hit then that's as far as you will shift to. We need a sticky in here telling ppl full shift up only occurs at full mph.

.i check my clutches after every ride and getting belt marks all the way on both sheves.also wiping permanent warker off all the way on both.help me understand .i need knowledge.is this not full shift?

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Yes thats full shift. You are doing that when the track airs out and spins free. The belt is not a rubber band. For the clutches to shift out fully the only way they can do that is if it sled hit top speed. During most full throttle climbs we are thrilled if we hit 50mph. That means the clutches have shifted to 50 mph. 50 mph is about 60% of the way up the pulleys.

Many many say they are unhappy cuz they are not shifting all the way. Unless you are running like 250 hp and hitting 85 mph track speed during a climb , you arent shifting out.

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
push your primary clutch in with your knee and make sure your weights are free moving.

fill the upper a-arm hole with silicone, tape off the brake rotor with gorilla tape and seal the top of the rotor so its not flinging water on your belt causing the slip. theres a hole under the chassis right where the track comes out of the bulkhead that likes to put snow on the clutches too.

may be nothing wrong with them clutches, just getting water in there slipping them,
seal them up good and if its still showing these signs then look into clutching issues.

but the rotor flings water right on the primary causing this exact issue if its not sealed.

use silicone all around the plastics where they meet the chassis, also look on top of the side panel right beside your lights snow can get down there and fall on top of you clutches. make sure you seal the whole ducting to the clutches too.

when all thats done, take your primary spring out, and cycle your primary in and out by hand, although i think most are binding up when hot it might show its problem when cold if its bad enough.

-Aksnopro

I had siliconed the areas you metioned plus some others. I installed a skidplate which covers a lot of holes also. Will look further into this. I may be kicking the snow off the running boards into the clutches

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
Gear down. Im not totally conviced that there is an excess amount of slippage, just you are only shifting out to where the motor can pull the given load. I know on all my sleds I gear down to where I can get almost full shift on a climb. On the trail it will overshift, but that is only the trail.

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
Yes thats full shift. You are doing that when the track airs out and spins free. The belt is not a rubber band. For the clutches to shift out fully the only way they can do that is if it sled hit top speed. During most full throttle climbs we are thrilled if we hit 50mph. That means the clutches have shifted to 50 mph. 50 mph is about 60% of the way up the pulleys.

Many many say they are unhappy cuz they are not shifting all the way. Unless you are running like 250 hp and hitting 85 mph track speed during a climb , you arent shifting out.

so gearing down must have helped with mine.also took alot of rtv to keep the snow out.mine usrd to have marks like this when i was blowing belts.i understand the full shift thing.i wust have done something right when i clutched cause im cleaning the sheave.softer springs may have helped with this.thanks

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
I thought that was a lot of belt slip too.
Also suprised how low the belt was running in the primary.
Engine was not over reving on long pulls.
Never blew a belt either

mine looks the same, not sure why the belt is riding so low in the primary, not a clutching guru, but o my m's it would ride all the way up toward the top of the primary.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
it would make sense that my turbo sled would shift out when climbing, i just went and looked at the clutches from yesterdays ride, first ride with lower gearing, and the belt did ride up in the primary more than before. sounds like its fine....
still concerned how hot both clutches are, they feel the same, can put my hand on them for about 3-4 seconds before i have to pull my hand away.

Premium Features