• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Inspect your rollers or this could be you.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Just rolled over 2000 miles on my '05 M7 and lost two rollers on Sunday and ruined one weight.

What is the best most cost effective route to get me back on the snow?

I blew a belt two rides before this, so I am assuming that is what took out the rollers. I will have to check the crank run-out tonight.

Get a new clutch. $400 uncalibrated. Call Buds in Cottonwood.

Just installed my new M7 clutch this week also. Same exact story, failed roller, toasted weight.

Thunder

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
My spider went at 2400

But just for giggles thought id tell you story of my neighbor i just helped throw i a driveshaft bearing in his apex 2nd one in 10k. After getting that done he pointed out his primary rollers still looking good as new with 10k never replaced just cleaned yearly. And i am no way buying a apex or yammi just thought i'd throw that out there. Definately see the difference in metals between cat and yammi primary and secondary.

Last edited:
K
Nov 27, 2007
Clutch

I asked this question in another thread but are the extended warranty,s covering these clutches after the one year factory warranty and if so which ones do and which do not?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
But just for giggles thought id tell you story of my neighbor i just helped throw i a driveshaft bearing in his apex 2nd one in 10k. After getting that done he pointed out his primary rollers still looking good as new with 10k never replaced just cleaned yearly. And i am no way buying a apex or yammi just thought i'd throw that out there. Definately see the difference in metals between cat and yammi primary and secondary.

your 100% correct. even skidoo has a more servicable primary than cat. Any one try the new primary that has the six weights in it? I think the new skidoo 1200 4strokes will have a variation of a 6 weight system. Would be interested in seeing what else is out their.

Thunder

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
This is why my clutches come off every 3-4 rides and cleaned good and inspected.

This sounds good and all. But would someone tell me what can be done to do a preventitive maintenace check on the rollers? The best you can do is catch a loose roller, but their really isn't anything you can do to prevent it. Bottom line you own a Cat you are going to replace the primary clutch every 500-1000 miles. It will be a broken spider or a failed roller.

Cat primary clutchs suck a$$!!!!

Thunder

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Your so right cat clutches suck !! But if you keep them clean and free of belt dust and other fine debris they will last longer. I think it is just plan stupid that cat wont sell parts for their clutches. Cant wait to buy a XM !!

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Just a little more info for the roller replacers amongst us... I just did the pins and rollers in my '09 M8 two nights ago because 2 fo the 3 were really loose and it was eating weights.
Based on suggestions found here, I bought pins and rollers for an '00 Thundercat. They were an EXACT match.

Pins: 0646-270
Rollers: 0746-067
Washers: 0646-327
Buttons: 0646-293

I reused my washers and buttons. I'll need to replace the washers next time around, and if I get to the bushings when they're only a little loose, I think the pins will be ok too. It's when all the bushing material is gone that they eat pins and weights by not turning.

Getting the spider off was a little tough... A 36mm socket (Hub nut for a Jeep!) took off the lock nut w/o issue. Then I used a SLP spider tool and an impact to turn the spider off after heating it to about 400-450F with a mapp gas torch to liquify the locktite. Put it all back together and torqued it down with the impact until the alignment marks I made between the two sheaves lined up. (Estimated ~200ftlb)

I didn't use locktite, as the engine will tighten the clutch as it runs... Same reason I don't crank hard on the clutch retaining bolt.
Good luck!
Chris

H
Nov 21, 2008
Puyallup WA
Snyder gash

My 06 m7 cracked a spyder......luckily limped it back to the rig but could not stop and idle as the clutch would not disengage enough. Found a brand new clutch on line at country cat for $300. Put the Slp rollers in it. It rips now! Over the top!

Premium Features