• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin 530HCX

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What accesories do you use for the 530 HCx?

earbud with P\TT microphone?

Alkaline battery pack?

Topo 24K dvd ?

Handlebar mount?

Am I missing anything?

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
If oyu're planning on mounting it to the sled, get a Ram mount. By far the best option out there for that. I mount my GPS on the dash of the sled, not the handlebars. I smash into the bars too much. Bar mount is the best way to go on a bike though.

I have a lapel spkr/mic with my radio, but that gets set up at the truck, key/dial lock go on, and it lives on my pack the rest of the day. I don't think the lapel mic would work well with the GPS as you're using the GPS more often and the additional cables just get in the way.

I'd go with the City Navigator DVD if you buy any maps. Far more up-to-date, contain useful POIs, and they have a lot of FS/dirt roads.

If the Rino has a 4-pin round, I'd use that and hardwire power to the sled. pfranc.com is a great source for that connector.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If oyu're planning on mounting it to the sled, get a Ram mount. By far the best option out there for that. I mount my GPS on the dash of the sled, not the handlebars. I smash into the bars too much. Bar mount is the best way to go on a bike though.

I have a lapel spkr/mic with my radio, but that gets set up at the truck, key/dial lock go on, and it lives on my pack the rest of the day. I don't think the lapel mic would work well with the GPS as you're using the GPS more often and the additional cables just get in the way.

I'd go with the City Navigator DVD if you buy any maps. Far more up-to-date, contain useful POIs, and they have a lot of FS/dirt roads.

If the Rino has a 4-pin round, I'd use that and hardwire power to the sled. pfranc.com is a great source for that connector.

I asked Garmin about the City Navigator DVD and they said it is only good for 1:100k resolution.

Garmin rep said to use the Topo 24K Dvd cause it has 4 times more resolution with the same "tracking uses" as the City Navigator.

Again this is what I am being told by Garmin.
Have you ever used the Topo 24k?

Premium Features