• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Attn: Mt Jefferson IDAHO Rders

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
There is proposed legislation to make all areas Northwest , Southwest and Southwest of this peak Wilderness (Capital W - No riding!)

Sponsored by Senator John Tester of Montana.

Map of proposed area:

http://tester.senate.gov/forest/forestmaps/b-d/MtJefferson.pdf

Did you not just fight off another attempt a short while ago? They are back at it! Having been riding there it is a great place!

I have sent my Senators objections to this. What can you do?

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
There's already a thread about it and it's much more then just Jefferson.
http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156055
I think the last attempt your thinking of was Lions Head but they've been after both for a LONG TIME and won't quit until both areas are closed and then they'll go after the rest of the areas.
I think I should run for Congress or something because we don't have many people on our side and the sheep that are all for Wilderness have NO idea what there actually supporting. He11 most never leave the city anyway so what do they care.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
It's Hell Roaring Creek, in the Beaver Head National Forest. There going to close it permanently. The back side of Jefferson.

Actually, it's all in Montana. It's a finger of land, where Montana juts down into Idaho. But, it's still going to kill the citizens of Idaho, Island Park is going to take it in the teeth.

Everyone send this crap to all the Idaho Senators and Congressman. Specifically, Simpson promised the people of Island Park he wouldn't let Mt. Jefferson be closed. This technically isn't his fight, but he can object.

Long Gone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
This is getting bad. This "Tester" fellow needs to listen to all of the people and not just his rich buddies from east coast. It will kill alot of our favorite riding areas, it will kill some business, but more ever it will kill the ability for ANYONE to use that area. It is not used frequently by hikers. I do not think you can take a pedal bike in there. Some horsemen use it, but they really don't care about sleds. Chester Tester needs to be reined in and understand who he works for. I am writing my congressmen now. They all talked like they do not support more wilderness.

What is this guys problem?

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Here I copied this from Tester's Bill.

(10) MOUNT JEFFERSON WILDERNESS.—Cer
22 tain land in the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National For
23 est, comprising approximately 4,465 acres, as gen
24 erally depicted on the map entitled ‘‘Mount Jeffer-
1 son Proposed Wilderness’’ and dated July 16, 2009,
2 to be known as the ‘‘Mount Jefferson Wilderness’’.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Here is what I wrote to Mr. Testor

Senator:

Enough Wilderness!!!

The idea of closing down the land areas around Mt. Jefferson is a bad one.

I am a Minnesota resident, and have been going out to Island Park Idaho every winter since 1989. We respectuflly recreate via snowmobile up in those mountains. There are hundreds of groups every winter who go there from Minnesota to enjoy the mountains via snowmobile.

If that area is closed down, I will not be going out there, period. I will not be supporting the hard working local economy with my recreation dollars.

We are losing our recreation areas, as politician after politician keeps posturing to please the eco-extremist crowd.

This needs to stop. You are taking away certain recreation methods we choose to use, and awarding them to other groups that happen to be more politically palatible, and are likely to garner more votes.

This mindless "Lets make more wilderness" thinking has HUGE impact on the lives of people in the areas where your environmental posturing takes place!!

Let ALL Americans use OUR land. Please, do not lock up millions of acres of lands and only allow it to be accessed by those who pay huge sums of money to your relection fund!

This insanity needs to stop!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I'm sure nobody cares what Canadians have to say, but I sent my thoughts in anyways.

Sure they do, or at least they should!

Write about how your vacation to the area will stop if access is taken away and the financial impact on local economies of those dollars going elsewhere.

This is supposed to be a jobs move,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yea right,,,,,,,,,,, jobs lost is more like it......

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
EMail sent. That place has some amazing riding in it. Heck its were my friends took me my first ride to learn to sled ( good friends eh haha) . Anyone that has friends that travel out there or vacation there should comment on them.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
EMail sent. That place has some amazing riding in it. Heck its were my friends took me my first ride to learn to sled ( good friends eh haha) . Anyone that has friends that travel out there or vacation there should comment on them.
You are right Brad. I haven't rode that area but know the effects it will have on the local economy. Flatlanders drive a long ways to spend a lot of money in those towns, it would be a shame not to have "sled money" there, the owners of those stores will never make it selling granola and hemp clothes. Email sent.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Dear Senator Tester,

I am writing you with fists of rage. This Forest Jobs and Recreation Act is an absolute joke. Recreation for who? The elite eco-terrorists thats who! Locking up more land into wilderness supports very little out door recreation. Americas Public lands need to remain public, and that means staying open to the majority users, yes the OHV crowd. Please stop taking money from eco-terrorists and sponsoring bills to turn public lands into wilderness.
I and many others drive many miles to snowmobile in the Montana/Idaho border areas, specifically the Mt Jefferson area. Turning this land into wilderness will stop me and THOUSANDS of others from coming to recreate in this area. The net result will be lost jobs and poor economy in the area.
Please take a moment to consider who really uses the area the most and then stop locking up usable recreation land into useless wilderness.
Thank you,
Geoff Dyer

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Write about how your vacation to the area will stop if access is taken away and the financial impact on local economies of those dollars going elsewhere.

This was exactly my approach. In fact, I'm supposed to be going down there in a week and a half with my family.

I can't believe they are considering closing this area :(

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
More!

Good work everyone! If you read the list of areas this bill closes someone's riding area near to them is affected. Get them to email, write and phone. Take the step to get others knowledgeable and involved!

I just don't understand the "science" behind these "wilderness" Closures... For one, in the middle of winer the only animals one sees are on the trails. Why? Because its easy walking!!! The state of Wisconsin did a study some years back on the effect of snowmobiles on white tailed deer. They found the deer had little responce to snowmobiles, but were forced to flee at the sight of a human on cross country skis... Know why? Because they have little need to fear snowmobiles, but a human is a major danger!! Not only that, but snowmobiles, spread out over large areas, cause very little damage to the ecosystem. Come spring all evedence is gone.. However, you take all thoes sleds, and put them in a few small riding areas... yeah, your going to see impact... I already sent my letter, more to come, and phone calls too... This just dosen't make sense!

Premium Features